IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I imagine Lewis can claim ‘squatter’s rights’ by now as it hasn’t be enforced for getting on for two decades… 

100% That’s my point. The FIA should have been enforcing it for the last 20 years by fines, reprimands or even bans, but the horse has very much bolted now and they just look like idiots.

Lewis might be the worst offender, but I’ve seen reports of Charles wearing a watch when driving in preseason testing and others too.

Be nice if they simply said this is a problem and this is why, and we will be enforcing it from now on, rather than this weird media battle that we’ve got

15 hours ago, Corranga said:

I was going to suggest that it could be due to the potential use of a defibrillator and the chance that it could burn (probably more likely chains around the neck than earrings of course) but as they are "literally welded on" he'll already have burns there.

The "you should be able to be who you are" argument is utter bollocks too.  You can be who ever you like until it's dangerous, or out ruled. 

If you're not willing to abide by the rules, you should be reprimanded and banned.  Of course as always seems to be the case, the issue here isn't so much with Hamilton, as it is with the FIA being inconsistent and not upholding their own rules.  Lewis didn't rush out and get all his jewellery / piercings overnight!

Jewellery in and around the ears isn't an issue for a defib.  Only nipple or anything directly under where you place the pads are an issue.  I would move a chain out of the way (especially if it had a pendant, that'd go around the back) but it wouldn't be number 1 priority to remove for first shock. 

3 hours ago, sprite said:

Jewellery in and around the ears isn't an issue for a defib.  Only nipple or anything directly under where you place the pads are an issue.  I would move a chain out of the way (especially if it had a pendant, that'd go around the back) but it wouldn't be number 1 priority to remove for first shock. 

Would they have to remove the fireproof under layer first to do defib?   Just wondering if the answer to that is no then you're not going to know if any jewellery is underneath the pads.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Would they have to remove the fireproof under layer first to do defib?   Just wondering if the answer to that is no then you're not going to know if any jewellery is underneath the pads.

I've not been trained on fireproof under layers but the pads need to go on skin to conduct according to what I've been taught, so, it would come off or be cut through yes.  However you can get the pads on the skin.  Scissors are usually nearby (on our crash trolley for example), can't guarantee they'll be in an on-the-street defib pack but I would imagine the F1 medical team keep them close by also.  Other things - razor for chest hair as particularly hairy chests can increase impedence also.  Bras often cut through, etc.

It's also worth saying I guess that the pad doesn't actually go over the nipple.  I don't really know how bad the risk of whatever would be is but you just put the pad on clear skin, jewellery is basically just impeding the shock through the patient, and carries a risk of carrying current itself over the skin instead, so you avoid it.  At the point you are defib'ing someone, they're basically dead, so everything else is relative to that.

13 hours ago, wev said:

Apparently a few have been known to still wear watches, ...

11 hours ago, Corranga said:

... I’ve seen reports of Charles wearing a watch when driving in preseason testing and others too.

Screenshot_2022-04-12-12-45-13-852_com.reddit.frontpage-01.thumb.jpeg.4b83bcd2cbea79432327f8c26b5a7fb3.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-04-12-12-45-13-852_com.reddit.frontpage-02.thumb.jpeg.e0e6174f07eecc37a55d141e3525c27a.jpeg

You're driving one of the 20 fastest and most unpredictable cars in the world in a sport where thousands of pieces of data are collected and stored literally to the nearest millisecond.  What the frig do you need to be wearing a watch for?

Everything gets cut off, the medical car carries a pile of equipment to remove things, including cutting off their helmet if necessary. They run exercises with a borrowed F1 car every race Thursday to practice extricating drivers from the car. 

Medical teams will always request that metal shit on you is removed as a precaution and the high likely hood of needing medical attention when racing cars probably mandates the need. 

I had to remove my jewellery when working as a mechanic. 

Just realised that metal objects would be a problem if you require an MRI so I can see why those not easily removed should be discouraged or banned. 

Charles always has two black rings but I see he removed them for the podium. :ph34r:

edit: looking at other pics it looks like he wasn't wearing them for the race, following the rules.....

XPB_1134245_1200px-1.thumb.jpg.52663a3c7f4fe63d25899dc21393d8c6.jpg

ap22100271381569.thumb.jpg.99c34ee0dfe6ffd59a9f701190e425ca.jpg

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Just realised that metal objects would be a problem if you require an MRI so I can see why those not easily removed should be discouraged or banned. 

I mean, yes, this is true, ferrous* metal + MRI do not mix.  But it’s the easiest thing in the world to take it off someone in that setting, the patient needs to be stable before they can go in an MRI scanner, the last thing you want is a resus in MRI of all places!  (Basically if someone arrests whilst in the MRI you have to get them the fook out, MR-safe professionals have to move the dying patient out the other side of the scanner room….)

So by the time they get there they’ll have been admitted and been through lots of departments already where they will strip you and remove bits and pieces.

*pure gold, silver, whatever are non-ferrous.  Only iron is magnetic.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Seems a bit drastic.

:D 

Thinking further, very unlikely they would do an MRI immediately for anyone in motor racing accident.  The risk of shrapnel of unknown material involved in injury is too high, so CT is the way to go I expect.

Once that’s done and metal ruled out (causes artefacts) they might consider an MRI I suppose.  But CT can still tell them a lot.

7 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Someone's noticed that as Alex Albon was heading down the pits on his last lap on Sunday, spectators were already walking down the pitlane:

FQNrCD-XIAIvBE0?format=jpg&name=small

That sort of thing has been happening for years, I remember more than once Mansell having to swerve around British fans on the victory lap (and the famous incident where he hitched a lift on someone else’s car). Spa, Monza, Hockenheim, it always happens there.

To be honest, if they’re driving at the limit of the safety car, that doesn’t sound like they’re prioritising safety. The cars should be capable of going as slowly as is needed to maintain safety, otherwise they should stop the session. 

I saw an interview with Mayländer once where he said he backs off on the straights, but the car is on its limit around pretty much all the corners. 

I guess that's why we sometimes see what looks like showboating on the sighting laps by the pace car and medical cars - drifting and stuff. They're sounding out exactly where the limit is for that car at each part of the course. 

So, it's either a slow news day at the FIA, or they have something else to cover up, if they are making press releases about how the car with the job of slowing the pack down, slows the pack down...

(courtesy of Joe Saward twitter post sort of...)

I realise these are adverts, but I guess that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining.

The initial launch ad for Danny Ric's wine is a bit too scripted but I think manages to capture the fun character we see in interviews / grid walks etc:

The reveal in this one genuinely made me LOL:

10 minutes ago, wev said:

Have you seen the price of that decanter set?

I was discussing it with one of my team at work as his other half is a bit DR fan.

It's 700AUD so about 400 quid, better move fast, there is only 1,100 of them (presumably as the Venn diagram of wine drinkers who like F1 and are willing to spend 400 quid on a Cinderella reject is fairly small).

I thought they nailed it with the adverts.

I'm assuming the brief was to "make an advert that looks like a 90s UK comedy sketch show version of an advert."