Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

The problem for RB is that copying isn’t itself banned - obtaining information illegally or, since 2021, doing mechanical tracing using software or hardware is banned.

The FIA rule book on the reverse engineering rule introduced in 2021:

17.3.3 Although it is permissible to be influenced by the design or concept of a Competitor's LTC using information that must potentially be available to all Competitors, this information may only be obtained at Competitions or Tests (as defined respectively in Articles 3 and 8.1 of the Sporting Regulations), and no Competitor may design its LTCs based on “reverse engineering” of another Competitor's LTC. For the purpose of this Article, “reverse engineering” shall mean: 

a. The use of photographs or images, combined with software that converts them to point clouds, curves, surfaces, or allows CAD geometry to be overlaid onto or extracted from the photograph or image 

b. The use of stereophotogrammetry, 3D cameras or any 3D stereoscopic techniques 

c. Any form of contact or non-contact surface scanning 

d. Any technique that projects points or curves on a surface so as to facilitate the reverse-engineering process 

In cases where isolated features of a Competitor's LTC(s) may closely resemble the features of another Competitor's LTC(s), it will be the role of the FIA to determine whether this resemblance is the result of reverse engineering or of legitimate independent work. The following further provisions apply: 

e. All Competitors must provide to the FIA, upon request, any data or other information that is required to demonstrate compliance with this Article. 

f. For all LTCs used during the Championship, the restrictions described in this Article apply to their entire design process, including actions carried out before the calendar year of the Championship. 

g. The FIA may issue guidance from time to time to define more specifically the requirements and constraints of this Article

If Aston Martin got lots of publicly available photos or footage of the Red Bull and then either traced it by hand using pencil-and-paper into technical drawings for import into CAD or did a freehand copy straight into CAD then it would be within the rules.

My guess is that’s what AM did and they knew the FIA would come knocking so they thoroughly documented the process.

Well, Aston Martin are saying they designed this version of the car alongside the other design of the car. Gary Anderson doesn't believe that but also, that early on you wouldn't design yourself down one avenue and would absolutely have a variety of options available, but for it to look so close to the Red Bull is very weird.

Don't worry, it's not helping them one bit. Horner will blow a lot of hot air for a week, Sky will try to build it up with Ted giving nudge nudge wink wink sly asides to the camera on Sunday. And that will be it. 

Seb might get an 8th at best but probably 12th or 13th. 

Aston copying Red Bull is great for the air time and publicity they get is great for the sponsors and, well that’s about it.  The majority of the performance will be what is underneath so having an odd shaped grill here or there and some similar shapes up top might help to direct the air in the direction that Red Bull need it for the underside, but on its own I’d imagine wouldn’t make that much difference.

Just now, layten said:

I did enjoy the Aston branded advert for Juniper Networks that aired immediately after both Aston's got knocked out in Q1. 

They've been running it at every ad break since race 1 and every time I've thought "that's not a good look"

Amazing lap under pressure from Charles. RB's reliability issues continue as does George's domination of Lewis this season.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

as does George's domination of Lewis this season.

That’s a bit  of an exaggeration when Russell needed a safety car to beat Hamilton in Miami.

No, to be fair, I think George has stepped up his game here. Lewis clearly isn't happy with the car and he's ragging the shit out of it at times. George is just sort of getting on with it. I guess because he doesn't have the pressure of 7 titles to carry around with him. 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

No, to be fair, I think George has stepped up his game here. Lewis clearly isn't happy with the car and he's ragging the shit out of it at times. George is just sort of getting on with it. I guess because he doesn't have the pressure of 7 titles to carry around with him. 

Would be a new car for him as well, whilst Hamilton obviously has been pretty familiar with the Merc of the past. 

Russell only beat him by a tenth of a second and their qualifying record is now 3-3. Bottas beat Hamilton by 0.600 in qualifying at Barcelona in 2019 so I think talk of Hamilton’s demise is a bit premature. 

The start will be fun tomorrow, I wonder if Max will try the same divebomb he did on Hamilton last year into turn one.

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I do love your attempts at subtle digs at Hamilton.  They're not THAT subtle.  :)

Not a dig, just pointing out a reality which appeared to have escaped you, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

17 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Would be a new car for him as well, whilst Hamilton obviously has been pretty familiar with the Merc of the past. 

George is clearly a top driver and having years in a crap handling car with not rear ended grip is an advantage over Hamilton who has had a car honed to perfection for him over the years - good for George tho as you can only work with what you have and only measure that’s relevant is against your teammate.

It's less of a problem at the moment as they have both been somewhat under the radar. If Merc start being able to challenge at the front, as looks likely, tensions are going to rise sharply if Lewis is unable to keep up. He likes a challenge and he definitely has one so it should add interest to the season.

Yeah I am intrigued to see what happens. Even if George has the points on the board this season they've really not been that far apart so I don't see either driver having the upper hand. What happens when the team has to make the calls that favour one driver over another. Easier to deal with when it's not for podium places, if that is where they will be fighting eventually.