Jump to content
IGNORED

Last Of Us - 2022 Remake (careful with spoilers Plz)


Capwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bear said:

I was wondering if they should have done some sort of time limited upgrade offer for people who own the PS4 version and if that would help or hinder the games overall performance. Do something like 50% off if you upgrade to the PS5 version inside the first three months of its release. Sure you'd make less per sale but you'd also probably get some people who wouldn't otherwise be interested to pay for the upgrade as they'd be getting a deal. 

 

I'm just posting this to get the idea out of my head. 


They definitely should’ve, a £30 upgrade of the Remaster would seem reasonable if it’s a true Remake, that’s the sort of price I’ll consider it at anyway, with a bit of cheap credit on top. The fact it’s probably a shoe-in for PS Plus, I suspect in the not too distant future doesn’t help either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, squirtle said:

last-of-us-remake-tess.thumb.jpg.f16a29a221a534f65256f1b6839ee52b.jpg

 

That shows the improvements off far better. 

 

 

Still not worth £70, though.

It is to me . Day one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me it's another example of the new model being technically better and the animation being technically more fluid and yet preferring the performance in the original.

 

I watch the original and I feel like I can see Tess run an absolute gamut of emotions in six seconds as she grapples with the weight of her decision. It really feels like watching sometime trying to process their emotions in real time. She goes from a kind of defiant smirk right through fear, sadness, resignation and then finally a steely grit and determination. It's a brilliant bit of animation.

 

The new performance...as fluid and high fidelity as it is, it doesn't have that same richness and complexity to it for me. It has fewer notes. It's mostly just a kind of weary sadness. Nothing to do with her being less hot or older or whatever. I just don't think it's as good as giving an insight into the rollercoaster going on in Tess's head at that moment.

 

I'm fascinated to see the very final scene in the game now. That's a scene which hinges almost entirely upon the expression in a character's eyes. You change the expression even just a bit and you risk upsetting the whole balance of the scene and the implications of the ending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Majora said:

The new performance...as fluid and high fidelity as it is, it doesn't have that same richness and complexity to it for me. It has fewer notes. It's mostly just a kind of weary sadness. Nothing to do with her being less hot or older or whatever. I just don't think it's as good as giving an insight into the rollercoaster going on in Tess's head at that moment.


I feel as if I need to ask just to be sure…you are taking the piss, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait, so I don’t have a save game because I originally started this on PS3?

 

image.thumb.png.fdafbd33efc777e69cccb500d104c40f.png
and now I’m playing the ps4 version on my ps5, but there’s a ps5 version on the way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Only that's comparing the original PS3 version to the PS5 version rather than the PS4 remaster to it like was being compared before.

The ps4 version didn’t change the character models 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone think the DLC story will be merged into the main story? The original game was pretty short compared to the sequel, might be a way to pad it out a little rather than making LeftBehind a separate story again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

Anyone think the DLC story will be merged into the main story? The original game was pretty short compared to the sequel, might be a way to pad it out a little rather than making LeftBehind a separate story again?

 

Yep, it’s included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

 

Yep, it’s included.

But I have no doubt whatsoever that it won’t be merged into the main campaign. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

Anyone think the DLC story will be merged into the main story? The original game was pretty short compared to the sequel, might be a way to pad it out a little rather than making LeftBehind a separate story again?

 

Counterpoint: The sequel was too long and I'd have preferred it to have been a few hours shorter. For example by losing the final act...

 

Spoiler

I'd have preferred to not have the Santa Barbara stuff personally

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

 

Counterpoint: The sequel was too long and I'd have preferred it to have been a few hours shorter. For example by losing the final act...

 

  Reveal hidden contents

I'd have preferred to not have the Santa Barbara stuff personally

 


I agree re cuts, probably by about 1/3rd but I’d take a chunk out of Seattle, I found it a bit repetitive in the end which caused me to put it down for about a year. Ended up feeling like LOU2 Part 1 and LOU2 Part 2 for me.

 

I think LOU is about the perfect length, I’ve played through it multiple times but doubt I’ll do that with LOU2.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Thor said:

But the point being made is that it shows what they did nine years ago vs what can be achieved now. 

It's not that much of a shock to see that graphics are worse on hardware that is 14 years older than it's descendent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


I agree re cuts, probably by about 1/3rd but I’d take a chunk out of Seattle, I found it a bit repetitive in the end which caused me to put it down for about a year. Ended up feeling like LOU2 Part 1 and LOU2 Part 2 for me.

 

I think LOU is about the perfect length, I’ve played through it multiple times but doubt I’ll do that with LOU2.

 

 

Yes. I still haven't finished part 2. It suffers from the same thing Uncharted 4 did. It's just too damn long with not enough happening in half of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Joel and Tess and to a lesser extent Ellie look kinda rubbish now. 

Joel and Tess look like Kindly old people. Maybe performances can bring out that steely terrifying resolve from the original game but I don't see how.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tess looks enormously better in the remake. Look at the original animation - it's good for the era, but it looks like she's wearing a mask. Her face barely moves until the end of the clip. The version of Tess in the remake looks older, but that seems completely appropriate given that she's been living in a post-apocalyptic hellscape for twenty years. She looks suitably exhausted and drained of hope.

 

I'm sort of amazed that people are still arguing the original looks better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't argue the PS3 original looks better, but there are aspects of the PS4 remaster (which was itself a massive jump) that are not necessarily improved, including general art direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the DF analysis, it seems like the major driver for this was to improve the character facial animations. And they are amazing now, for sure. But it kinda ties into the criticism that ND are wannabe film makers rather than game makers. (You'd not hear that criticism from me, TLOU blew me away)

 

I would be fascinated to see that last scene again with the new tech. As was said, the faces said SO much there. It'll be a fine balance whether they improve or spoil it... (and probably very subjective)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Why have they aged everyone?


I’m not sure they have, but they have made some people look middle aged, a tricky thing to pull off ten years ago. Making people look 50+ is relatively easy, you employ wrinkles and grey hair - but people from, say 30-50 generally don’t have pronounced wrinkles and rarely much visible grey hair, particularly woman. The signs of aging are more subtle and far harder to accurately depict. This is why in the original most characters look either 25 or less or 50+.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K said:

Tess looks enormously better in the remake. Look at the original animation - it's good for the era, but it looks like she's wearing a mask. Her face barely moves until the end of the clip. The version of Tess in the remake looks older, but that seems completely appropriate given that she's been living in a post-apocalyptic hellscape for twenty years. She looks suitably exhausted and drained of hope.

 

I'm sort of amazed that people are still arguing the original looks better. 

 

I'm not arguing the animation is better on a technical level in the original. The new version is clearly more fluid and more overtly expressive.

 

But I think the emotion conveyed in the original is more interesting, more complex. As you say, Tess looks exhausted in the remake but I don't get much more from her face behind exhaustion and sadness. Was that the intent? Why did they remove that almost-smirk at the start of the clip? Because I watch the original and despite the fact her face barely moves in comparison, I see her go through a range of emotions in her eyes that is greater than just sad and exhausted. There is a steel and defiance to some of Tess's expressions in the original that is practically absent in the remake where she looks like she's just given up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

But I think the emotion conveyed in the original is more interesting, more complex.


There is objectively much less complexity to her performance in the original, she sits there glassy eyed for the most part, her gestures barely change. In the remake there’s a whole world of emotional detail that’s absent in the original. I’m completely baffled as to how anyone could watch those two side by side and imagine the original is either more complex or interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I wouldn't argue the PS3 original looks better, but there are aspects of the PS4 remaster (which was itself a massive jump) that are not necessarily improved, including general art direction.


Just out of interest, where do you think they should’ve gone with the art direction in this new remake?

 

Can we at least agree that it still needs to feel like The Last of Us? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.