IGNORED

Mario Kart 9 - coming 2024

Gotters

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

It's one of the few things I'm correct about. Every time I play it (because unbelievably I have) nothing changes. It's not even aesthetic preference, it literally doesn't work. I keep bringing it up because I'm always so in awe of the apparent love for it and I always feel the criticisms are so obvious. Especially as they've taken its anti gaming to such a degree where, well every track promises so much but then fails to do anything, almost as if corners and lengthy laps are too dangerous for casuals. 

I was thinking the other day, the issue of developers like Nintendo being gatekeepers, we all rely on creatives to feed us, and games are the worst medium for it because the technical challenge for anyone to try it themselves (unlike writing, making music or directing a film) is so vast, and unlike those mediums that cover all genres, tones, that show all sides of culture and life, games don't. The only time you get raw glimpses inside peoples minds as I've said before is with user created content. Current Mario Kart represents a pretty illusion apparently no one can see beyond. The way we consume content as consumers, 'interesting' doesn't factor in as a thing.

The problem is no one really cares about the genre, it's just been left stagnant. All the rpg elements explored in depth for decades have never been applied to arcade racing and its tired cup format being how it delivers its tracks. The prettiness is important to keep going on about because there's been no re analysis of what the genre is, the extra power has just been used to build more objects so you just end up with this horrible excess of stuff. It is really really pretty. 

5F512E9A-F477-439F-BD83-7B82631B7AD5.gif.c662eb8828f359e81b479c2f75fffda4.gif

I'm afraid it's going to have to have the words "Mario" and "Kart" in the title or else we all know it'll turn out to be a marketing disaster and sell under a million copies.

That said, there's room for both Mario Kart and Nintendo/Smash Kart.

And F-Zero, and 1080, and Wave Race, and anything Excite-related.

Can we get some MK8D online forum races going again? That was the last good time I had playing with others online, other than those minor stabs at Splatoon 1 & 2 and ARMS.

I listened to this several weeks ago, they talk about;

Mario Kart 8 is still selling insanely well

How mad it is that they didn't continue to expand on the DLC for this

Mario Kart 9 should be more Smash kart etc

Mario Kart 9 could have story element/mode aspects to it, similar to Diddy Kong Racing

Mario Kart 9 could have a create your own course addition to it

To be fair Mario Kart 8 was the first decent Mario Kart since the GBA. Hopefully the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatible because with the Switch so I can continue to play 8 as Nintendo as such a conservative company that I don’t expect 9 to be anymore than a DLC upgrade to what we have. Depends what you want. I can only do one Nintendo sequel to the likes of Mario kart a decade otherwise they feel so underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Ok, I'll bite. Like what?

Something more minimal and pure. Standardised karts, more tapping into the visual style that started it, the grey track, green mountains, blue skies. They still try to include those tracks but it's the simplicity I like, not that they're circuit tracks. I don't think the visual transition in games after N64 from what began on the nes and snes has been well realised. The N64 worked because there was no additional power there. 

There's still some abstractness to angular polygons, by the Gamecube and Wii and 8 they don't take that abstract approach and they start thinking of places from society, cruise ship, mall, factory, airport. So it's just this settled delivery and they're not playing. They've always been fixed to generic settings, snow, farm, stadium, mountain, but I think they could detach from recognised ips they've got and develop within the game with a starting point and naturally flesh it out.

Looking at Super Mario Sunshine, the entirety of the game feels organic, like they came up with its ideas as they went along. Then in Double Dash, Sunshine just gets reduced into easily identifiable Super Mario Sunshine wallpaper. They can create new stories, new characters, new worlds in a Mario Kart that aren't from anywhere else. 

That's one of the appealing things about (yes) Diddy Kong Racing, each track in a setting you can see them try something else out and stretch it more. One day someone has offered; we're doing dinosaurs, what about a volcano, lava, could we..could we fly? Probably. I want games to be unravelling of ideas, not delivery systems. When it's just another pretty, detailed extravagant track where they just stick you on them, it's underwhelming. Hyrule Circuit, sounds exciting..oh it's broad again, have the faintly recognisable parts in there, no corners, just large swathes of space. 

I don't think they should just pick at their franchises, I think it works for Smash Bros because they allow for different types of levels, in Mario Kart it's just cosmetic. That's the guided tour of it, we're dropping into water now, get out the hanglider, leap on these mushrooms. Look at how beautiful the Mute City track is, it's like something from Ratchet and Clank, it seems odd to dislike such prettiness but you're just more removed from graphic simplicity. There are those who think F Zero X is hideous and basic and GX is the series at its peak...I don't. There is such a thing as too detailed crafted environments but I'm not sure others will agree. 

Longer, tighter, more twisting tracks. The thinking with Baby Park seems to have been; it's an oval but it doesn't matter, we can have this rollercoaster and other track side stuff that it feels full but...I think tracks should take you somewhere. There should be clear sections that aren't over in the blink of an eye. I think you shouldn't know how long there is to go when half way through and it should surprise you.

That's what made (yes again) Beetle Adventure Racing so appealing. Loads of parts, a sense of actually travelling a distance. It's there in Star Wars Pod Racer, clear sections where the tone shifts, there's just sound and you have to dodge loads of rocks or something before aiming for a small gap, being precise to not hit the walls then it opens up again. I don't think you should be able to see the track before you as you begin, and you merely navigate around it, it should unfold. 

When I played the tt course on Ride On The Edge 2, it was revelatory because you don't expect a course to carry on for so long (25 minutes with all the crashing), you don't expect a narrow track that's so fast (though not 60fps) and unforgiving. You don't know where it will end (unless you're familiar with it) and it's exciting. There should be tracks that are unforgiving and a real challenge to learn.

Some Super Mario Kart fans hate Mario Kart 64, I can't see the justification, more twists, less straights must be it, I remember the tracks described as a yawning void, there's a tranquility in the endlessness in a racing game that's quite peaceful, when you're 1st way out in front just coasting waiting for any challengers to appear. Obviously you don't want a blue shell, but you do need some times to breathe. 

I hate the handling in 8, ever since Double Dash it's been unsatisfying and I can't pinpoint why. I think they've just tried to broaden it, tried to make it so lacking in distinct feel to further broaden the appeal of Mario Kart, it's always on rails, it's that fifa vs pro evo thing where in fifa shooting has always felt half pre determined. When you can't shoot in so many exact directions. Of course there's many millions who don't see the issue with fifa. 

There's a deliberate lack of precision in the control of your kart in 8, you navigate the tracks but don't race around them. In DKR when you're after the silver coins you get used to stopping dead and doing spins on the spot on 2 wheels, there's no endless drifting, you're turning sharply a lot of the time to hit the boosters. I think they nailed the handling. 

3 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

To be fair Mario Kart 8 was the first decent Mario Kart since the GBA. Hopefully the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatible because with the Switch so I can continue to play 8 as Nintendo as such a conservative company that I don’t expect 9 to be anymore than a DLC upgrade to what we have. Depends what you want. I can only do one Nintendo sequel to the likes of Mario kart a decade otherwise they feel so underwhelming. 

Only the Wii one and DD were a bit average, but still decent kart racers. The rest like MK DS and esp. MK 7 were very enjoyable race games.

If they do this as others have said it needs to be Smash Kart.

Expand on what they hinted at with the DLC of MK8 - broaden the horizons and have tracks and racers from tons of Nintendo and even non-Nintendo franchises.

16 hours ago, deKay said:

“Nintendo might be working on a Mario Kart game” is the most non-news ever.

My uncle works for nintendo and he says that mario has been diagnosed with a serious heart condition and isn't allowed to take part in anything too stressful or exciting, so he's retiring from games. He also said that nintendo are going to give up making games completely - partly because mario's retiring, partly because they feel like they've made enough games and they just can't be bothered any more. They're also going to take all the rights to all of their games and fire them into space so that nobody can make any more of their games ever again. That's why this rumour is wrong and there will definitely never, ever be another mario kart ever again. I stake my reputation on it.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

No-one who thinks Diddy Kong Racing isn’t obviously shit is in a position to offer an opinion on Mario Cars.

It’s not shit, but it’s like down here - crouches to put hand at floor level - and Mario Kart 8D is like here - stands on tiptoes and stretches hand as high as can go towards the sky -

9 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

There's a deliberate lack of precision in the control of your kart in 8

You can alter your course and thread a needle during a drift, there’s no lack of precision.

32 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

What am I describing if not a racing game.  

A pale imitation. You seem to think that geegaws improve the racing, when in fact they reduce it.

There is definitely no lack of precision in MK8, the controls and karts feel properly right and you can place them exactly where you want to.

What you might be thinking about that makes 8 feel less precise (sort of…) compared to SMK, 64, Super Circuit etc is the track width (or the ratio I’d the kart size to the track width). As there is a lot of space to move around. If we’re think about SMK, Ghost Valley, Mario Circuit, are great examples of tight courses where you could time trial the heck out of them and aim for a pixel perfect lap beating your previous time by a tiny amount and feel great about it. 
MK8 offers a much wider track due to the amount of on track carnage, the time trial mode suffers because of it, but the rest of the game benefits. 

The control precision is 100% there and with the N64 style drift dynamic I think even more precise than SMK.

Baby Park shows this off really well as it’s so simple, you can blast around it avoiding the carnage, picking a racing line, power drifting between 2 other karts and a banana peel feeling like a racing God.

9 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Words

We'll just have to "agree to disagree" on this one. Mario Kart (and also all other kart racing clones) are always and will always cheery pick from the multiple source materials and is designed to support both bite size and longer form sessions, which you can access in a multitude of ways (rather like smash bros). Its designed as a "party racing game" and supports this idea very well. Also, I really don't see Mario Kart on the snes being any different. It was just less ambitious, as it was the first. But it theming was still was very much a best of the mario games, with "bowsers castle", the "donut plains" a "ghost valley" (house) level, and the ability to play as Bowser and Donkey Kong and the like.

"I think it works for Smash Bros because they allow for different types of levels". Also, this is just nonsense. You can either apply the criticism to both, or to neither. Smash Bros levels aren't exactly the most varied in design, and Mario Kart's levels innovate just as much, if not more. I think you are either conflating "difficulty" with "innovation", or just ignoring the design restrictions of an actual racing game.

Mario Kart is trying to be a broad, accessible, racing game that supports short and longer play sessions and can satisfy a huge range of skills, being able to satisfy both very inexperience players, and truly hardcore gamers, and achieves that aim with laser precision. The fact that Mario Kart 8 is the best selling game in the series (frankly) dwarfs all other racing games, in terms of sales, is a testament to the design success of the game, and franchise.

13 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

To be fair Mario Kart 8 was the first decent Mario Kart since the GBA. 

Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS is shit hot, and that’s coming from someone who played it after Mario Kart 8 (MK8 is a top ten all-timer for me).

19 minutes ago, Fallows said:

There really isn't.

I think the main thing Nintendo have tried to do in broadening the appeal of Mario Kart to appeal to everyone so it becomes a family game like Mario Party all generations of a family can enjoy is having a racing game that will always guide you around, the tracks should be really wide, have bends but not corners, there are no narrow sections and no sudden requirements to slam hard on the brakes. The broadening is there in the handling.

Compare the Bowser tracks for a good comparison, I remember playing the N64 one and being confused in places. It's not confusing at all after a few goes but Nintendo will have gone through tracks over and over reminding designers to keep broadening and widening. The player should at no point hit a wall, or end up going the wrong way. 

The evolution of the Bowser Castle also shows how the extra power has been used, always with ostentatious spectacle, let's have a lava rock Bowser punch the track because it will look good, lets have him spit fire balls out, and the music has changed to dark and moody to that ostentatious guitar whinge. Tonally, aesthetically it's just adopted the Mario Party flashiness, the item boxes shouldn't be fluorescent and dazzling, you shouldn't be able to do tricks, no additional flashy visuals necessary, shrink the size of the orange and blue boost pads and change how they look. It's all tacky, but done with expense. It's trying to be this exuberant spectacle. This is probably what people don't get most, a possible alternative that's tonally very dry. I think for everyone the endgame is visuals as detailed and constructed as this but I think videogames can lose their visual essence. 

Obviously people don't see an issue with any of this but it shouldn't be unfathomable. 

1 hour ago, Quest said:

I'm starting to wonder if there's anything Loik doesn't think was better between the years of 1992-2002.

A lot of my favourite things have come after 2002, films, music, games, street photography even with hipstamatic iphone stuff, tv shows. Football. 

9 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I think the main thing Nintendo have tried to do in broadening the appeal of Mario Kart to appeal to everyone so it becomes a family game like Mario Party all generations of a family can enjoy is having a racing game that will always guide you around, the tracks should be really wide, have bends but not corners, there are no narrow sections and no sudden requirements to slam hard on the brakes. The broadening is there in the handling.

Compare the Bowser tracks for a good comparison, I remember playing the N64 one and being confused in places. It's not confusing at all after a few goes but Nintendo will have gone through tracks over and over reminding designers to keep broadening and widening. The player should at no point hit a wall, or end up going the wrong way. 

The evolution of the Bowser Castle also shows how the extra power has been used, always with ostentatious spectacle, let's have a lava rock Bowser punch the track because it will look good, lets have him spit fire balls out, and the music has changed to dark and moody to that ostentatious guitar whinge. Tonally, aesthetically it's just adopted the Mario Party flashiness, the item boxes shouldn't be fluorescent and dazzling, you shouldn't be able to do tricks, no additional flashy visuals necessary, shrink the size of the orange and blue boost pads and change how they look. It's all tacky, but done with expense. It's trying to be this exuberant spectacle. This is probably what people don't get most, a possible alternative that's tonally very dry. I think for everyone the endgame is visuals as detailed and constructed as this but I think videogames can lose their visual essence. 

Obviously people don't see an issue with any of this but it shouldn't be unfathomable. 

It’s because your basic premise is wrong. None of what you’ve mentioned is at the expense of the purity of the racing experience, which has improved.

Mario Kart 8 is the pinnacle of the series for pure racing, and it’s simply not up for debate.

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

If you really think the game doesn't allow for skill, please try Mario Kart 8 online. Also, MK8 is has some of the strongest visual clarity of any video game ever. There is seldom a moment when you don't exactly the status of the game, and want you need to do.

So I think your criticism is that you think its all looks a bit gaudy? Well, like ok. I'm not entirely sure you can say the early versions were more tasteful...

mario_kart_snes.jpg

mario_kart_n64.jpg