IGNORED

Apparently The Raid needs a remake

JohnC

Oh boy. Gareth Evans is involved, with Michael Bay also producing. And Patrick Hughes (of Hitman's (and Wife's) Bodyguard) directing. Apparently all 3 are very excited because it's going to be great. Said every PR ever. After shopping it around, it'll be on Netflix. This one is in Philadelphia.

I remember loving the first one, it was the kind of movie I wanted to make as a young teen where ALMOST the entire movie is just action. Then the second one was a bit up itself, like it was pretending to the GodFather Part 2 or something and had way less fighting. Had some wonderful set pieces though, like the car chase and the kitchen fight which were absolutely beautiful.

They will NEVER remake a film like the first where 80-90% of the film is in 'combat mode', so what is this remake? I'm hoping it's NOT Ryan Reynolds or similar but it most probably will be. I would at least try and add some more innovative revolutions to the concept by making it a musical, perhaps filming it as a one take camera shot (but faked), some kind of quirk to it.

The absolute worst thing they can do here is try to just create a generic action film around the Raid's 'going up a block' premise with some breathing spaces for comic light relief. 

I’m comfortable with this, let them crack on.  It’s slim enough concept wise that a decent director could probably do something a bit different with it that wouldn’t be a complete disaster. Although I’d rather someone remade Dredd 3D with a different actor playing Dredd who actually has a chin and a helmet that fits his head, to name but one amongst the original’s very long list of missteps 

If they try touching The Raid 2 on the other hand, there will be trouble.

On 11/01/2022 at 17:58, ZOK said:

Although I’d rather someone remade Dredd 3D with a different actor playing Dredd who actually has a chin and a helmet that fits his head, to name but one amongst the original’s very long list of missteps.

Shut your pie hole, zok.