IGNORED

OK, so what's the worst controller?

dumpster

No poll this time, it's a free for all. What's the worst controller ever made?

I'd start with the Mad Catz steering wheel for PS1.  A Christmas favourite in my old Game store, I felt guilty every time someone bought one.  The games were all designed to be played with a controller so the wheel was just fucking awful, with the 1cm movement of an analogue stick stretched over 90 degrees.  So... Many... Refunds.  

The Sega Chair was great fun to demo in store and sold way better than you'd imagine.  But it was literally a chair on top of a stick.  You had to hold onto two handles like ski-poles and pull yourself in the direction you wanted to go.  Literally impossible to play any game with any degree of precision.£200.

But the "what were they thinking award" which could easily go to the Cheetah 125 shaped like a Terminator, actually should go to the PS Vita.  The wonderful handheld is one of the greatest gaming devices of all time and a softmodded Vita should be in every home.  But when it was launched, one of the biggest selling points was the streaming capability so you could play PS3 games on the move over WiFi.  Then they brought out the PS4 and improved the whole service and it was really good. But, for a machine designed to do that very thing, the Vita only had 2 shoulder buttons.  Whose idea was that???? They gave you the analogue sticks, the face buttons, a beautiful OLED screen... And then they miss off two of the buttons (and I can't recall right now but I don't think the sticks clicked so there was no L3/R3 either....  

But then they gave you a touch pad... On a machine with a touch screen already, they put a feckin' touch pad on the back of the handheld console, so there's a massive game affecting control method right where your fingers naturally fall when you hold the thing.  Why was no-one fired?  Utterly ridiculous.  So the Cheetah Terminator goes up on place and the Vita, despite its lovely D-Pad, wins.

Over to you.....

11 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Strictly first party I think it must be the Atari Jaguar. I actually think the telephone overlays are quite a cool idea - but the awkward shape, horrifically stiff d-pad and mind boggling 3 button Mega Drive layout in a 1994 console attempting to push 3D games? Just a design disaster all round. 

Close the thread, this wins, the Jag pad is fucking awful.

Sixaxis / Dual Shock 3 - I don’t know what they did to the design of that pad but it was bloody uncomfortable, even thinking about it now makes my hands ache. DS1/2/4, no problems at all. 

If we're talking proper controllers and not shitty third party or car crash consoles like the 3D0 and the Jaguar which don't really count, then it's the Dreamcast controller. Although to be honest the Dreamcast was a car crash console, so...dunno. 

10 minutes ago, smac said:

The original Atari VCS joysticks. Squidgy feel, horrible square corners that dug into your palms; so painful to use.

But - it was the only stick you could realistically use for joystick waggling games without destroying it. They were almost indestructible compared to something like the Quickshot 2, which would fall apart if you looked at it funny.

edit: Quickshot 2 is actually a contender. It looked cool like a helicopter pilot’s joystick. It had three buttons (one left, one right, one on the trigger) but they all did the same thing. The suckers on the feet never worked, and it was really uncomfortable to use with a huge amount of travel even though it only had leaf switches inside. The worst thing was that it was ridiculously fragile. They’d break in a few weeks and good luck taking it back for a refund because this was back in the eighties when no-one was going to give you your money back.

I used to pull the rubber off the Atari sticks and use the thin plastic rod from within to play. Much less stiff.  

Also I don't think I ever owned a controller that had rubber suckers on the bottom that remained stuck during play. Mind you I held my Konix Speeding with my left hand wrapped around the front, the wire coming out between two fingers, so what do I know.  

Came back to add, the universally popular Competition Pro 5000 which many people liked, but I found incredibly stiff to use. 

Parental Guidance: this post contains the words stiff, rubber, bottom, suckers, plastic rod, incredibly stiff, and may not be suitable for children.

I would have to say the original Xbox One pad. Hear me out! 

It was nigh on perfect, but the RB/LB buttons were an absolute disaster for index finger gamers. Especially if you have small hands. I am 6ft3 but my hands are frighteningly small. I wouldn't care I love my elite1 controller too but those damn bumpers!

The new Series revision for the pad is a revelation bumping this pad back to the top! 

32 minutes ago, smac said:

The original Atari VCS joysticks. Squidgy feel, horrible square corners that dug into your palms; so painful to use.

No. I still use one to this day. Great controllers. 

Those long flat ones that came with the Jr are terrible though.

The creaky Colecovision controllers are pretty awful as well.

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

Sixaxis / Dual Shock 3 - I don’t know what they did to the design of that pad but it was bloody uncomfortable, even thinking about it now makes my hands ache. DS1/2/4, no problems at all. 

I quite like the DS3, at least as much as 1 and 2.

Not exactly the worst, but I was a bit disappointed with the DS4. I deliberated over whether I should get that or a XB1 pad for PC use and chose the DS4. Except it never felt quite right to me. And, before I could get used to it, the micro USB socket broke, which seems to be a common problem, being so small. That was a bad piece of design and I couldn't get my money back because I lost the receipt for the shop. Also the serial number on the back rubbed off suspiciously quickly so I couldn't go to Sony either. Not that I'm sure they designed it that way...

Anyway, I must fix it one day or get a charging dock, but I went back to using the DS3.

38 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Wii nunchuck. Slippy and shit.

PlayStation move. Just shit. 

The best control scheme I’ve ever used was KIllzone 3 with the Move/Navi controller combo. It was rarely implemented that well though. Child of Eden stands out as another good one.

Worst? Definitely the old Atari sticks, especially if you child sized hands. Second would be the Onimusha samurai sword controller, which was totally pointless and ridiculous, plus clumsy to use. Dreamcast pad in 3rd. Although I actually remember hating the GC pad more, especially for F-Zero GX.

Probably not allowed to say that though.

Has to be the Wiimote for me. The first time motion controls became the primary control method and were a complete and utter failure. I like precision in my controllers, not having to wave my arms around in the hope that what I’m trying to do will register.

The DS was pretty crap. I loved games that used the touch screen properly, but when your first experience is playing Mario 64 with a piece of plastic strapped to your thumb to mimic analogue control, well it’s clear it wasn’t up to the task. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The DS was pretty crap. I loved games that used the touch screen properly, but when your first experience is playing Mario 64 with a piece of plastic strapped to your thumb to mimic analogue control, well it’s clear it wasn’t up to the task. 

Hah, yeah that was awful. Before it came out It seemed like an interesting way to turn the touch screen into a stick. The d-pad on the original DS was terrible too, the worst Nintendo d-pad as far as I can remember. With no stick it was just totally ill-fitting to 3D games.

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Unless of course, you played ( and finished ) Mario 64 on it with just the D-Pad ;) 

Jag's still the worst.....

I nominate the original PS1 controller, but really only because of that horrible stiff segmented d-pad. They've stuck with pretty much the same thing for over 25 years though, so what do I know?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCZh6pDzvDFvaOyrBgklB

Aesthetically, the OG XBox pad is the most unpleasant of all first party controllers.

Special mention for the Seaman Microphone – which I think just about counts as a controller – because it forced me to talk with an American accent.

Best controller is very obviously Steel Battalion so no need for that thread.

Yep, it’s the Jag. I never owned one but I tried one at EGX and it was horrendous. The sides were so big that you weren’t sure where your hands should go for optimal button reach (there was no inwards curve that your palms nestled into), and there was miles of space from the d-pad to the red buttons.

Atari-Jaguar-Controller.jpg

Honourable mentions to the Dreamcast controller and the Xbox Duke. :) 

20 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Unless of course, you played ( and finished ) Mario 64 on it with just the D-Pad ;) 

Jag's still the worst.....

No chance, in the end I played the whole game using the stylus in my left hand for analogue control. Not the best first impression!