IGNORED

OK, so what's the worst controller?

dumpster

What @Monkeyspill said, this bloody abomination

D0493CD4-C107-44DC-BD0B-6A4297F918EF.jpeg.5d3a669a61055360115959b906055f39.jpeg

I spent my hard earned pocket money on precisely this model, excitedly ran home, plugged it in to my CPC and enjoyed about three hours of gaming before one of the switches gave out. Total joke

15 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Original Sega Master System controller. The d-pad had no flex and was made from the hardest material known to mankind; had permanent grooves in my thumb throughout all my time with it.

image.jpeg.cd94fc6f5fa07410d632273e31d1b1b6.jpeg

It's a shame the bits that hold said D-Pad are not made from the same material, they break pretty easy around the edges, and then the D-Pad falls out 😛 

8 hours ago, smac said:

The original Atari VCS joysticks. Squidgy feel, horrible square corners that dug into your palms; so painful to use.

This is crazy talk. It’s so comfortable and well built you can use it one handed. I used to butcher my quickshot sticks for parts to replace on the vcs as they wore out.

1 hour ago, SeattleStokie said:

For me, i’d say it’s the Atari 5200 controller. Awkward button placements make it uncomfortable even after a short amount of gaming time, unreliable, and the non self-centring stick makes a number of games a chore to play.

This x 1000!!! If you’ve never used one, you have zero idea of how truly awful and unreliable they were/are. Everything else just pales in to insignificance in comparison.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

What @Monkeyspill said, this bloody abomination

D0493CD4-C107-44DC-BD0B-6A4297F918EF.jpeg.5d3a669a61055360115959b906055f39.jpeg

I spent my hard earned pocket money on precisely this model, excitedly ran home, plugged it in to my CPC and enjoyed about three hours of gaming before one of the switches gave out. Total joke

I was wrong about it having base buttons - I misremembered. It’s actually much worse. Neither of those top buttons were comfortable to use. Terrible, terrible joystick. 

9 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Strictly first party I think it must be the Atari Jaguar. I actually think the telephone overlays are quite a cool idea - but the awkward shape, horrifically stiff d-pad and mind boggling 3 button Mega Drive layout in a 1994 console attempting to push 3D games? Just a design disaster all round. 

I remember the Jag pad just melting into my hands. It felt really comfortable to hold for me. Maybe my memory is fucked. 

I thought the PS1 controller was fine at the time but ever other Playstation controller since i think is just ergonomically shite. Including the new one. Sticks need to be offset for me. 

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Jag pad is hands down the best controller ever made and several more people have gone on the list. Game Cube controller is clearly the worst, an utter abomination of a thing. Still, it suits the console I suppose.

Wow! Everything you said was wrong.

/Luke

anyways, worst pad out there has to be the dual shock. The original digital pad is a fair evolution of the sublime snes controller. 

Then they stuck two analog sticks in as an after thought to respond to Nintendo’s innovation. However they couldn’t have thought about it more than “where do they fit? Oh there which will induce hand spasms from unnatural thumb movements? Sod it, we’re late to the party so it’ll have to do!”

And then they kept it! Talk about stubborn. 

49 minutes ago, T Pot said:

N64. I hate that thing.

When you pick up a controller for the first time and you think 'am i holding this right?' then you know it's a failure on all accounts. Not to mention those analog sticks that sanded themselves into oblivion and went limp.

Lots of Gamecube mentions here but i'd use that over the N64 anyday of the week

Considering the amount of quality arcade fighting games that was on the system, the Dreamcast pad was absolute dogshit with the sharp-ass d-pad and spongy analogue triggers that were required for 6-button layouts. Any extensive play actually hurt without slapping in a converter and/or an arcade stick.

At least with the GameCube, games either catered for the weird button layout or provided adaptations to make up for it. DC was just a traditional controller that was crap when put up against all the great things the system had going for it.

I played a Jag for the first time at PlayExpo a couple of years ago and I was surprised how the controller wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected.

I also reckon the CD32 controller isn’t as bad as some say, even if the D-pad is a squishy circle!

The Goldstar 3DO d-pad was pretty terrible but I accepted that at the time, it only really caused issues with SF2 and Samurai Shodown. 

The Xbox Duke controller is perhaps my least favourite main-stream controller. I have fairly small hands for a 6ft bloke. I found it pretty uncomfortable after even 10 minutes of play. I felt like I was holding a dinner plate!

Edit: I see the N64 controller being mentioned. Even when I first tried an import demo unit at HMV, I didn’t once question how to hold it properly. It’s comfortable and by far the best way to control Mario 64 IMO.

42 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The original Xbox controller. I genuinely hate that thing. Hurts like hell to use, is heavy, and has an absolutely atrocious d-pad.

Many people will already know this anecdote, but for the ones that don’t: the Xbox bigwigs were reminiscing a couple of years ago on a podcast, and revealed that the contract to actually integrate all the controller components in to a board was basically granted out of nepotism. What they got back looked like a dinner plate with pad parts all around it, but they didn’t have time for a do-over and had to design a controller around that big stupid circle to have it ready in time for launch. All the stuff about average hand sizes was just made up. The S controller was presumably always intended as a global replacement.

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

Considering the amount of quality arcade fighting games that was on the system, the Dreamcast pad was absolute dogshit with the sharp-ass d-pad and spongy analogue triggers that were required for 6-button layouts. Any extensive play actually hurt without slapping in a converter and/or an arcade stick.

At least with the GameCube, games either catered for the weird button layout or provided adaptations to make up for it. DC was just a traditional controller that was crap when put up against all the great things the system had going for it.

Don’t forget the weird VMU memory card thing that had to plug into the controller if you wanted to save progress. They were really expensive and hardly ever (if ever) did anything useful except for being used as a bog-standard memory card.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

:sherlock:

I’d never heard that story you posted, but dinner plate is the first thing that came to mind when I think about holding it. Either that or a bus steering wheel!

I think the only true answer is any 3rd party GAMEWARE controller that was bundled with consoles in the early 2000s from GAME. 

I remember a square controller coming with my Xbox Crystal. SQUARE. Who the fuck thinks that's a good idea?

I hate Joy Cons. Tiny, fiddly things with an appalling wireless range that's easily blocked by, say, your leg, or the hand you're holding them in. The buttons are tiny and stiff and I'm forever losing the little slide-on attachment that's the only way to make them even halfway comfortable to hold. Stick drift is practically a standard feature. "HD rumble" is a marketing gimmick.

Even when they're attached to the Switch they are bloody uncomfortable things. I've swapped them out for a Hori Split Pad Pro (and/or a Pro Controller, when playing docked) and I'm far happier.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

The d-pad on the original DS was terrible too, the worst Nintendo d-pad as far as I can remember. With no stick it was just totally ill-fitting to 3D games.

Nooo. I really liked the clicky d-pad of the first DS. Gutted when I got a new-fangled DS and its d-pad was squidgy and useless for anything requiring diagonals.

spacer.png

The Acorn ANH01. I wouldn't say it's the worst, because it's probably unfair to condemn a joystick from the very early days of home computing, when everyone was still figuring everything out. And it was probably the best way to play Elite at the time. But it's still very odd/interesting to see an analogue pad with no springs in the stick, so that when you let go, it either stayed where it was or just flopped down.

Plus, the ergonomics of the pad were really odd. The finger grips appear to be on the wrong side, as I'm sure you held it with the fire button on the back and the stick facing towards you. The whole thing has the air of something designed by one person on their own in a tiny office, which is probably quite appropriate for Acorn at that point in their history.

I still find it funny that all modern controllers are basically evolutions of this:

afbeelding.thumb.png.4d9ddf4b48679e7b91531d48a12e6f69.png

The need for Sony to one-up Nintendo's N64 controller by shrinking this monstrosity down to the first twin-stick controller always felt like a particular kind of madness.

The N64 pad was very eccentrically shaped - although again, it's from the era of controller experimentation, so it's not that weird given that there wasn't much in the way of a single standard at the time - but that analogue stick was amazingly accurate. You could aim incredibly precisely in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark - maybe I'm looking at it through rose-tinted spectacles, but the aiming is nowhere near as accurate when playing those games with modern controllers.