IGNORED

OK, so what's the worst controller?

dumpster

PS3 sixaxis controller

In order of irritation there is ... No rumble, waggle nonsense and utterly utterly utterly shit triggers that were unusable unless you got those little addon things (Geotek I think they were). This was true to the extent that a magazine gave away a set of the addon things as literally everyone needed them.

Also best covermount gift ever.

You’re all wrong. This is the worst controller ever made.

Firstly it’s top heavy without the prongs, let alone when you add a rumble pack. But the worst thing of all is the nubs have these huge bumps on the back so you have something to hold onto. Except that’s also where the Z trigger is meaning even slender fingers are squashed in a gap about 1cm wide to not hold the device but to also access a major button.

Thats ignore the stick, dpad etc.

2DFB80E7-0F39-4BCD-A0C4-9E5A04930BDA.jpeg

10 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

But - it was the only stick you could realistically use for joystick waggling games without destroying it. They were almost indestructible compared to something like the Quickshot 2, which would fall apart if you looked at it funny.

9 hours ago, Camel said:

No. I still use one to this day. Great controllers. 

Those long flat ones that came with the Jr are terrible though.

The creaky Colecovision controllers are pretty awful as well.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

This is crazy talk. It’s so comfortable and well built you can use it one handed. I used to butcher my quickshot sticks for parts to replace on the vcs as they wore out.

[VCS Joystick]

Hah, I knew I'd be out on a limb with that opinion - maybe I just used it so long in any one session I ended up with hand cramps? who knows. Think the last one I used much was in the Atari ST bundle I bought,, and there were a lot more alternatives out by the late 80s.

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

None of you know you're born.

2eb26e4dcbe0ad90b60fbeb5689e3c11.jpg

Oh, man, that early 80s explosion of 8-bits. ZX81, Speccy, Dragon 32, Oric, Jupiter Ace, Electron, Beeb, Vic20, C64 - and their weird controllers.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. Ok it looked cool (to a 12 year-old) but it practically forced you to play games one-handed.

(But not actually as bad as the Jaguar pad that was like playing a game holding a brick).

1280x720.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. Ok it looked cool (to a 12 year-old) but it practically forced you to play games one-handed.

(But not actually as bad as the Jaguar pad that was like playing a game holding a brick).

1280x720.jpg

Sounds like somebody here hasn't completed Super Mario Bros 3 using the Power Glove only.

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

Kinect :lol:

Just horrible. How did this sell so many units again? The best part is it used you as the controller.

That’s right, YOU are the worst controller.

I remember seeing the adverts for for Kinect, it always showed it set up in a massive living room, not representative of anything like what a majority of people would actually have in order to even set it up properly and have a chance of it even working - not that it even worked well in the ideal environment.

When it comes to third party controllers, it's pretty much a case of 'buyer beware' but I think the first party pack-in controllers really need to be good and should be comfortable and hard wearing.

With this in mind, the most disappointing controllers are the Dreamcast one and the N64 one.

I don't know what went wrong with the Dreamcast pad because the mark 2 Saturn pad and the 3D pad were both really good. The DC pad was just so uncomfortable that I don't even bother having my DC set up because I hate the pad (I really should get a third party one that's a better shape).

The N64 pad is just crap. The three pronged shape is just a bafflingly bad design decision, pure and simple.

Retrobit are meant to be making a new Dreamcast controller but it's been delayed due to chip shortages.

image.png.8781fe54e73f32ae7e24d85376f73d75.png

It's basically the better parts of the 3D Saturn pad. Really looking forward to it.

Personally I like the original pad, apart from the D-Pad being terrible and that's just not good for a Sega controller.

Plays a mean game of Sega Rally 2 though.

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Retrobit are meant to be making a new Dreamcast controller but it's been delayed due to chip shortages.

It's basically the better parts of the 3D Saturn pad. Really looking forward to it.

Personally I like the original pad, apart from the D-Pad being terrible and that's just not good for a Sega controller.

I remember being able to win or lose in Capcom vs. SNK based on which direction I was facing due to that d-pad. Bit of a shame as the rest of the pad was pretty good.

F0E1A6D1-2F02-4E0D-882C-0C7A8A9F96BB.thumb.jpeg.3c617715d827e07c3d458378eedcb579.jpeg

1. Glossy plastic, not great for gripping hold of, and very easily scratched.

2. Terrible sub-SixAxis thumbsticks which wore out easily.

3. Poor range of wireless use from the host system.

4. Awful stiff d-pad, and nasty, awkwardly-placed face buttons.
5. Was mandatory for many games on the system.

6. The main gimmick was only really was any use for 4 or 5 games, tops.

7. Needing placing back in its cradle for recharging frequently.

8. Sunk the host system because the mass market consumer assumed it was just a Wii with a tablet add-on.

18 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Sacrilege. The N64 controller was wonderful. The analogue stick nuanced and responsive. Mario 64, 1080 and GoldenEye wouldn't have been the games that they were without it. And the rumblePak was innovative and genuinely added a then unrivalled level of immersion to game experiences back then.

It's the three pronged design that ruins it (and the analogue stick wasn't hard-wearing enough).

18 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I've always liked the Dreamcast controller as well. Finding out that Retro-Bit aren't just going to make a 1:1 2.4GHz wireless version was really disappointing.

Always hated the DS4 - the ridge under the triggers hurt my fingers after a while. The triggers were hard to use accurately, and exposed. If you were playing a video and then you gently rest it on the sofa, it starts fast forwarding. Also the exposed ps button meant you were always in danger of starting up the jet engine PS4 if you looked at the controller funny. Laughable battery life. Peeling sticks. Too small. Pointless trackpad (though it was good as a button). I do like the PS style dpad though. 

image.png.94cc002b575fda2a76d17b96097f7a25.png

Probably the worst controller I've ever had to use. But then the system wasn't that great anyway. It was a time in the mid 70s to very early 80s where Pong machines were abundant and this belonged to the "Grandstand Supersportic" (lots of "sports" games that all had sticks and square balls.) 

Rest of the control systems I've used since have been comparatively bliss! :D (even the Quickshot 2 on the Spectrum)

11 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

The n64 stick was fine, just in completely the wrong place. I always assumed it was some halfarsed way to only have one while being accmodating to lefties, except that doesnt really make sense either.

I've always assumed it was under the assumption that there might still be a significant amount of 2D gaming and as such the dpad was still really important.

I think the N64 joypad feels a lot weirder now when compared to modern pads, at the time it was pretty amazing - we used to play hour after hour of Goldeneye and I never remember it being uncomfortable at all. And the resistance on the stick is something that a lot of modern games could benefit from.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I've always liked the Dreamcast controller as well. 

With a VMU and a proper Sega Vibration pack it's a really good solid weight. Rumbles like a frog in a sock on Sega Rally 2, makes the game that much more fun.

Spoiler

Finding out that Retro-Bit aren't just going to make a 1:1 2.4GHz wireless version was really disappointing.

Maybe they will further down the line, like they did the USB Mega Drive versions without the shoulder buttons after the original batch.

6 hours ago, K said:

The N64 pad was very eccentrically shaped - although again, it's from the era of controller experimentation, so it's not that weird given that there wasn't much in the way of a single standard at the time - but that analogue stick was amazingly accurate. You could aim incredibly precisely in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark - maybe I'm looking at it through rose-tinted spectacles, but the aiming is nowhere near as accurate when playing those games with modern controllers.

The stick resistance is part of the reason that feel has never been matched (along with the fact you're using the left thumb to aim, which few people choose to use in modern twin-stick controls).

But I think it should be possible to get something close to that feel on a modern controller, through very careful calibration of acceleration/sensitivity/deadzones. Unfortunately the XBLA Perfect Dark didn't get that quite right.

Love the Dreamcast controller. Feels very comfortable to hold to me and was the first mainstream pad to use triggers. Focus groups told SEGA at the time that too many buttons on the controller was too confusing for casual gamers so they tried to limit its interface. Should definitely have had six face buttons like the Nights pad and even though I liked the d-pad it’s not a patch on the Saturn’s. Biggest criticism is the lack of a second analogue, it’s a shame SEGA seemed to base their controller on current gaming trends rather than looking into the future. 

It is also influenced the Xbox controller that has been the best controller design since the original S.

Never got in with Sony’s pads. The analogue sticks are in such an unnatural position, I get they lazily bolted those onto the original but to persevere with that design every generation since is baffling. Has always turned me away from Sony hardware. When it comes to the worst I’d have to nominate the original PS1 pads, those segregated d-pads which were raised and stiff, constantly gave me blisters. 

Next one was the Wii remotes, absolutely useless and only good for simple inputs. Such a disappointment and completely limited the experiences that were possible on the Wii. 

Another one who doesn’t think the Jaguar pads are that bad, they are far more comfortable than they look. 

16 hours ago, dumpster said:

The Sega Chair was great fun to demo in store and sold way better than you'd imagine.  But it was literally a chair on top of a stick.  You had to hold onto two handles like ski-poles and pull yourself in the direction you wanted to go.  Literally impossible to play any game with any degree of precision.£200.

That's still probably a more practical controller than the Sega Activator...

My issue with the Dreamcast controller is that Sega had the perfect design with the Saturn 3D controller, and then made it worse for the Dreamcast. (Never liked the VMU; made using the controller and console more fiddly than it needed to be.)