IGNORED

OK, so what's the worst controller?

dumpster

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The worst pad I have ever actually owned is the Gamester Evolution Control System. Turns out you can’t just map accelerometer signals on to an analogue stick and expect to have a good time.

E3F9E29B-CE69-4585-8B23-860445B8C987.thumb.jpeg.530679b9508cd35e8468db87926de8d8.jpeg

Tricky to use when you’ve not got the top part of a thumb, like this photo amply shows.

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That Gamester thing looks amazing! Terrible, but amazing.

It came with an instructional/promotional VHS tape (sort of thing that would run on an end cap in a store to encourage people to buy it) which was also terrible but amazing. The theme was martial arts so they had a guy who looked genuinely furious he’d been reduced to the work doing some moves.

On 14/01/2022 at 09:20, Halo said:

Also, the DualShock design is terrible. It took a genuinely great 2D pad and awkwardly bolted on two analogue sticks in a way that makes them aggressively uncomfortable to use.

It took a what now?

Without doubt the Joytech controller I got bundled with my launch GameCube when I bought it from Comet.

joytech.jpg.557a3a7bd9571a9af915ca6341c1f836.jpg

The GC controller isn't perfect and this was worse in every way. Flimsy, uncomfortable and the most 'Player 2' controller ever to be produced. 

this thread made me think of Kempston joysticks on the spectrum, which lead me to wikipedia, which has a reference in the article linked to @deKayblog ! small world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempston_Micro_Electronics

anyway, nobody knows hand pain from a controller until you've had a marathon Speedball 2 session on a Konix Speedking, the hand claw after that was very painful.

JB_Konix_SK.png

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

this thread made me think of Kempston joysticks on the spectrum, which lead me to wikipedia, which has a reference in the article linked to @deKayblog ! small world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempston_Micro_Electronics

anyway, nobody knows hand pain from a controller until you've had a marathon Speedball 2 session on a Konix Speedking, the hand claw after that was very painful.

JB_Konix_SK.png

Ha! Imagine being the defacto reference for a Wikipedia article.

On 13/01/2022 at 10:40, Darren said:

None of you know you're born.

2eb26e4dcbe0ad90b60fbeb5689e3c11.jpg

Yep, horrible things. 

I can’t find a photo, but does anyone remember the c64 controller that was like a giant mushroom that you had to move with your whole hand?

I loved the speedking.

My favorite joystick after the VCS Mark 2 joystick. I hated the orignal Mark 1 VCS joystick as it felt unbalanced.

Theres a lot of cheap, shit pads out there but i think the worse was the Quickshot 4. Every movement was so laboured!

And like the 2 it seemed to fail all the time.

image.thumb.png.5da90acee8ab43a0460823e668ac8991.png

2 hours ago, Camel said:

There’s a Quickshot joystick where you hold a ball and move it around like a stick.

62E06E16-315B-4DEF-8B1F-0E6736E0AE23.jpeg.4846b480a4c460e06644eb86b7261c69.jpeg

The memories!! When I was about 11 my mum bought me a C64 out of the local classifieds, and it came with over 100 (non pirated) games on cassette. Buried at the bottom of  the box was one of those monstrosities. From memory it didn't work correctly, but maybe the 11 year old me just knew it was shite and got rid of it straight away. 

D88B9E5E-FE26-48E1-961F-9BBF97A8C81D.thumb.jpeg.0a9fd222742c1f2f463d1bd48f808912.jpeg

Who decided that this, designed for word processing and spreadsheets, an unergonomic lawsuit in waiting, sitting upright in a very specific way so you don’t get RSI, was a viable method to control anything? Controllers are supposed to be an extension of your body, the interface mimicking the movements of a person, a steering wheel or the spaceship. When using a keyboard and mouse, how are you supposed to feel like you are conquering worlds? Only the world where doing data entry is king. It has hundreds of buttons!

14 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

The N64 should never be mentioned in a thread like this. The placement of the trigger alone rises it up above the trash.

I tried playing N64 with a Hori Minipad recently and the relocation of the trigger to a shoulder button made me want to scream. I don't know why people lost it over those pads when the original feels so much better.

21 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It came with an instructional/promotional VHS tape (sort of thing that would run on an end cap in a store to encourage people to buy it) which was also terrible but amazing. The theme was martial arts so they had a guy who looked genuinely furious he’d been reduced to the work doing some moves.

Don't know if this is the one you're referring to, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

8 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I loved the speedking.

My favorite joystick after the VCS Mark 2 joystick. I hated the orignal Mark 1 VCS joystick as it felt unbalanced.

Theres a lot of cheap, shit pads out there but i think the worse was the Quickshot 4. Every movement was so laboured!

And like the 2 it seemed to fail all the time.

image.thumb.png.5da90acee8ab43a0460823e668ac8991.png

Does that need to be labelled NSFW? 

On 15/01/2022 at 23:35, Camel said:

There’s a Quickshot joystick where you hold a ball and move it around like a stick.

Ah... That reminds me of the CD-i...

afbeelding.thumb.png.adca4e3b6f8d7fbe90191400dda6570d.png

And subsequently of that other CD-i "controller"...

afbeelding.png.898c57b926d0fcbd84ade9f5ccd1705b.png

You know. To play Wand of Gamelon or Faces of Evil with.

On 15/01/2022 at 22:35, Camel said:

I had something very similar to that (or perhaps it was that, I don't remember) and it was really good for playing Kick Off and nailing the aftertouch. It was really comfortable too, because your whole palm and hand would rest on the dome.