IGNORED

Quantum Leap Reboot - Oh Boy!

Harsin

"Centred on new team" - oh, not on the one that died two months ago then?

Though I suppose you never know these days - I'm not ruling out an unsettling CG Al making an appearance just yet.

7 hours ago, hmm said:

"Centred on new team" - oh, not on the one that died two months ago then?

Though I suppose you never know these days - I'm not ruling out an unsettling CG Al making an appearance just yet.

I guess meaning they'll be giving them new names instead of casting younger people to play the same characters.

I reckon you could do something interesting with a new series of Quantum Leap given that the main character's lifetime has moved on 30 years - there's plenty of interesting periods to cover. The thing is, the prospect of them sticking to the same rules as the original programme - i.e. Sam can only leap within his own lifetime - makes me feel a bit weird. Scott Bakula was 35 when he started Quantum Leap, so if the new protagonist is the same age, then the scope of the show is 1987 onwards. They can barely fit the fall of the Berlin Wall in there! Obviously that's just the passage of time, but it feels weird to go from the show being about distant historical events to being about the era I lived through.

They'd probably bung that off, they started to a bit in the original series. I thought Quantum Leap started to really go of the boil towards the end with all the stuff with evil leaper.

12 hours ago, lordscotland said:

You just know they'll do some cringe inducing episode about leaping into someone on 9/11

Sam(anther) could jump into a terrorist. Oh boy!

Or someone who jumps from the tower.  Oh boy!

(I'm sure terrible Quantum Leap scenarios were covered in another thread somewhere?)

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

It'll be Sam's son or daughter I'd wager. Probably not coincidental that NCIS New Orleans just ended.

But Sam never existed in the end. So he'd have no daughter.

What was the time travel model for QL? I remember in the Cuba/JFK episodes, his “putting right what once went wrong” was saving Jackie Kennedy, which is the outcome that we all know. Was it always like that with historically noteworthy events, or did they mix and match? Actually, they hardly ever tackled real events did they?

They avoided real events and people other than little nods up to the final series, I think. Then there was more of push on them to try and up ratings.

They are going to want to make story arcs, go for all the evil leaper stuff, historic events, callbacks but the show was great because it was mostly just good stories that had a happy ending with likeable leads. The real adventurous move these days would be to stick to that.

It's hard to think how this would be anything other than over-produced and wrought with faux-peril and some big, overarching villain, thereby missing the whole point of the show, which to have these little, unconnected personal stories.

That said, when they did try and make the universe feel bigger (i.e. jumping into himself, Abby, famous people) it was usually done without inflating its own self-importance - something else I don't think would be handled with that same care now. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

You say that like they can't find a way to retcon that if they think they can make $$$.

The Emperor fell down a big pit and then exploded, that's about as conclusive as it gets, but he came back to start shit-talking on Fortnite and menace the galaxy. Neo and Trinity are running around. Even being dead IRL is no impediment to these nostalgia projects nowadays.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I'm pretty sure Bellisaro has said in interviews that despite changing Al's past, PQL still existed with Al a central part of it.

Obviously those are just words without having to actually think about how he would get that into the lore in a satisfactory way, but that was his intention.

Given that this is a TV series where the entire premise revolves around being able to go back and alter history in order to change reality, I suspect that there may be a way to write their way out of this narrative hole.