IGNORED

Which game controller should I play Elden Ring with? (Or what controller do you use on PC?)

Benny

Which game controller would you play Elden Ring with?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of the eternal questions about playing games on PC via Steam, with such a wide range of controller support. I'm leaning to Switch Pro as it's just so nice to use, but given the choice above, which would YOU pick?

(I honestly couldn't decide whether to put this in Discussion instead. Maybe a mod could move it there)

• Benny changed the title to Which game controller should I play Elden Ring with? (Or what controller do you use on PC?)

I'm really not a fan of the dual-shocks at all. Whilst I can sort of appreciate the haptics on the thing, the PS5 controller is painful as fuck when I've used it for a prolonged period. 

And I find my thumbs slip off those fucking sticks all the time. Each iteration of that damn thing I hope that they'll do the same concave stick as the Xbox ones, yet they never do.

The Xbox controllers are aces - nice and comfy-wumfy.

Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that the build quality in the Series ones is a little worse than the previous ones. 

Edit: I am aware that you can put extra grippy nubbins on the thumbs sticks, but I'll be damned if I'm doing that. 

I like moaning about it too much.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm really not a fan of the dual-shocks at all. Whilst I can sort of appreciate the haptics on the thing, the PS5 controller is painful as fuck when I've used it for a prolonged period. 

Dem chunky L&R bumpers ‘n’ triggers for light attacks, strong attacks, blocking and parrying though :eyebrows: 

The great thing about a PC is these days pretty much any controller that’s lying around will probably work. I even plugged in a DS4 to play 2005’s Matrix video game, using the wireless adaptor, and it Just Worked with the console control layout automatically applied. So this is probably just a survey of what pads people have near them.

38 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Dem chunky L&R bumpers ‘n’ triggers for light attacks, strong attacks, blocking and parrying though :eyebrows: 

This is why I'm thinking maybe Switch Pro will be nice - no need for analogue on the triggers and they feel nice to press. Also it's powered by nuclear fusion. D-pad can sometimes think you are pressing another direction though if Tetris 99 is any indication.

51 minutes ago, Benny said:

This is why I'm thinking maybe Switch Pro will be nice - no need for analogue on the triggers and they feel nice to press. Also it's powered by nuclear fusion. D-pad can sometimes think you are pressing another direction though if Tetris 99 is any indication.

Ironically and unbelievably, the Xbox Series d-pad is the best d-pad this generation. And it's not even close. No idea what happened with Nintendo there, but the d-pad on the pro controller is pretty useless because it misreads directions. 

The Xbox Series controller and the Pro Controller are both more ergonomical than the Dual Sense. The Series is the best overall, it's the most ergonomical, the best buttons, and a fantastic d-pad.

The dual sense is the least ergonomical. Unlike its predecessors its less suited to Soulslikes than the Xbox equivalent - spongier buttons this time around. @Calashnikovis completely correct if you'd compare the 360 controller and the DS3. No contest there, and the DS4 is also great. But in terms of current gen controllers the Series version wins out on every aspect - not in the least because "it just works" on PC no matter which client you use or emulator you're trying to check out. It's the defacto default PC controller. Imho and all that.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

No stadia controller option?

T01LP2aVX4W_TRETesN6ZQs9_BVZv3Fqqv3ICX5M

I got one of these for free and I STILL don't use it :lol:

Very little difference between the Stadia controller and the Switch Pro for my money. The Pro has slightly better build quality and much better battery life (which it should do when you consider the price difference), whereas the Stadia has real analogue triggers (and is basically free), but they’re much the same to use other than that.

7 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

The lads themselves are known to test and tune using a Dualsense:

image.jpeg.e895ee6d7d67bbe3893a1adf1da13600.jpeg

That's quite a good argument actually :lol: +1 if that's a real shot of From studios.

I just thought of something - does the Dual Sense do the same fancy HD rumble on PC if a game supports it? A lot of people like dat rumble so if it does, that's a thing @Benny should also consider. If it doesn't do the fancy rumble on PC or one isn't interested in it, the Xbox Series controller is genuinely the overall best and by far most hassle free choice on PC.

The Switch Pro Controller is lovely and as you don’t need triggers for souls it’s a viable choice. Series is post comfortable. The dual sense is nice too though. Controllers now are amazing, as is the support for them on PC. So I just voted Xbox One as that’s what I use with my PC.

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

So this is probably just a survey of what pads people have near them.

I’ve got all these controllers and can confirm series is the best one. 

I don't own either a Dual Sense or Series S/X controller. So will be plumping for one of my other ones. If the game does use fancy Dual Sense rumble on PC however I'd be very tempted to get one...

Good question - I'll be wondering about this a bit more and now no doubt swapping and switching controllers mid-playthrough.  Thanks for giving me controller choice anxiety you horrible lot haha.

For me it's between an Xbox Elite Series 2 and a Dualsense.

Muahahaha.

I mean the question came up in my head the other day because I wanted my Elden Ring experience to be perfect and couldn't decide what would suit it best. It just made me wonder if PC users have one that wins out over the others, as most people on here have multiple consoles they will have cannibalized the pads from.

I played other From games with:

Dark Souls 1, 2, 3, Sekiro -  Xbox 360 pad on PC

Dark Souls Remastered and Bloodborne - DS4 (both on the PS4 obviously)

My 360 pad is just starting to not function properly though, but it's lasted literally thousands of hours since the early 2000s. A real workhorse.

15 hours ago, JPL said:

The Series controller is better than the One controller, so I’m not sure why most people seem to be going for that.

Most likely answer... More people have the one controller

Dualsense feels the most comfortable for me and it makes the Series X/S controller feel a bit cheap in comparison. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just thought of something - does the Dual Sense do the same fancy HD rumble on PC if a game supports it? 

It does yeah, although not many games support it yet and it has to be wired a lot of the time (many all the time?). 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

The Switch Pro Controller is lovely and as you don’t need triggers for souls it’s a viable choice. Series is post comfortable. The dual sense is nice too though. Controllers now are amazing, as is the support for them on PC. So I just voted Xbox One as that’s what I use with my PC.

I’ve got all these controllers and can confirm series is the best one. 

You do need triggers for souls. 

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

But they don't need to be analogue triggers do they? 

I think that's what broker meant.

Yeah unless suddenly From have made heavy attack damage and speed directly proportional to how much you press in a trigger (how awesome and From would that be?) I think digital triggers will work very well for a new Souls game.