IGNORED

Moon Knight - Disney+ - March 2022

Chindie

In respect of the thing that's been 'hinted' at...

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure we've seen the third personality now. In the scenes with 'Dr Harrow', occasionally Isaac has a dressing on a wound across his nose, where he acts and speaks differently to Marc's accent and intonation. Marc has a pretty generic, flat, 'American' accent, whereas in those moments he has a more pronounced almost 'New Yoik' accent and he's much more noticeably unhinged.

The issue with this is a) formally introducing this personality in the final episode is asking to rush things, b) Marc is judged on the basis of Marc and Steven alone, it's difficult to then say there was another personality there. Unless they fudge it by saying the third isn't really a full personality or something.

I’ve found this to be pretty dull and mediocre so far, but the last episode was excellent. 

The plot is uninteresting, but Oscar Isaac is brilliant, and anything that lets him flex his acting muscles, as he was able to do in episode 5, is extremely welcome. I think that was the first time I actually cared about Moon Knight’s character. 

41 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve found this to be pretty dull and mediocre so far, but the last episode was excellent. 

The plot is uninteresting, but Oscar Isaac is brilliant, and anything that lets him flex his acting muscles, as he was able to do in episode 5, is extremely welcome. I think that was the first time I actually cared about Moon Knight’s character. 

I've only seen three episodes and it feels overlong and dull. I'm kinda surprised to look in this thread and see people are liking it. Perhaps it gets better?

I found that one a bit of a hard watch tbh, I don’t know anything about the condition he suffers from but is the portrayal of it based on fact or is it pure fiction? If the trigger for his split personality that we were shown is the kind of thing that can happen in reality, it’s absolutely heartbreaking.

37 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I've only seen three episodes and it feels overlong and dull. I'm kinda surprised to look in this thread and see people are liking it. Perhaps it gets better?

I'm almost caught up (about halfway through the latest episode) and I think it's pretty mediocre to be honest. It's like the latter seasons of Smallville where I feel like I'm watching out of some sort of obligation.

The only plus I can think of is that Oscar Isaac is a brilliant actor. Kind of hope he goes full Nic Cage at some point.

But one concern the researchers we spoke with noted is how, even as they attempt to portray the disorder accurately, shows like Moon Knight run some risk of glamorizing DID and misinforming the general public about it simply by turning it into entertainment.

From what I've seen they've managed to walk that line and walk it very well. There seems to be a clear distinction between what is happening with Steven and what the show is doing with Egyptian mythology/superhero fantasy - at least so far. I was so involved in the human drama of the latest episode that I almost forgot I was watching a Marvel Superhero show. Isaac is such a great actor!

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I found that one a bit of a hard watch tbh, I don’t know anything about the condition he suffers from but is the portrayal of it based on fact or is it pure fiction? If the trigger for his split personality that we were shown is the kind of thing that can happen in reality, it’s absolutely heartbreaking.

It 100% is. An ex-girlfriend of mine developed it as a child and she was only diagnosed fairly recently. She had an extremely self destructive alter ego at times. 

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I seem to recall that dissociative identity disorder is a fairly controversial area of psychiatry, the only certainties appear to be that it does, in some manner, exist, and people with it tend to have severe childhood trauma. Beyond that there's arguments over what it really is, what causes it, what makes people prone to it, what it actually does, how prevalent it is, etc etc.

There's an issue with media portrayals of it as a result. It's a 'flashy' disorder that has been picked up by film and TV which then perpetuates overblown/false/misleading aspects of it, and actually has impacted the research in the disorder itself. Its been noted that DID in some communities manifests itself in ways that reflect cultural or media portrayals of it - if a popular movie shows it affecting people in a particular way that then is reflected in people that have (or claim to have) the condition afterwards, and it's pretty difficult to work out who is actually suffering, and who is reflecting the condition as a result of having some other problem.

For what it's worth I think this has a pretty sympathetic portrayal of it. It's not glamourised the condition, abd it's not really made problematic inferences about the condition (i.e. everyone with it is a dangerous nutter). There's an inherent problem with any portrayal of this kind of thing in an entertainment show, but this has done it well I think.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I seem to recall that dissociative identity disorder is a fairly controversial area of psychiatry, the only certainties appear to be that it does, in some manner, exist, and people with it tend to have severe childhood trauma. Beyond that there's arguments over what it really is, what causes it, what makes people prone to it, what it actually does, how prevalent it is, etc etc.

This is broadly correct. I am on the more sceptical side of things. There are certainly dissociative states, etc, but nothing as well formed as what is depicted in this. This is well and truly in the realm of fantasy. 

Always the same few people saying they don't enjoy these MCU shows. Why continue to watch them? I know they're different shows but if you've watched 5 now and not liking them, isn't that a good indication you won't enjoy the next one?

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thought that episode was bloody great. Just wow. Isaac is amazing.

Absolutely agree. People moaning about his accent earlier in the thread are embarrassing. Someone actually compared him to Dick Van Dyke. He's a fantastic actor. 

There's been little action and we've only seen Moonknight fight twice (properly) but it's been a good series for me. I loved Loki as he's my favourite Marvel villain and I enjoyed Falcon but this is different. I don't feel it's that 'Marvel' though. 

One thing from the first episode still doesn’t make sense to me even now that most of the truths have been revealed…

Spoiler

He locked himself to his bed with a ring of sand around him to check for footprints and tape on the door. We then saw him switch to his other personality and be in a completely different country, then reawaken in London and find that everything indicates he never left.

….how??

38 minutes ago, Darwock said:

One thing from the first episode still doesn’t make sense to me even now that most of the truths have been revealed…

Hide contents

He locked himself to his bed with a ring of sand around him to check for footprints and tape on the door. We then saw him switch to his other personality and be in a completely different country, then reawaken in London and find that everything indicates he never left.

….how??

i reckon ... 

Spoiler

... Khonshu magic.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

Hide contents

….how??

Spoiler

I assumed it was because his other personalities know what he's doing so when they bring him back, they do all the same steps he does. Put tape back on the door, brush the sand, put the leg restraint back on. We know they even tried to buy a new one finned goldfish to replace the one that died, so he wouldn't notice he'd been away for 3 days.

I saw it elsewhere so I've checked it out and indeed the little girl Steven is talking to in the museum in the first episode does says to him "and did it suck for you? Getting rejected by the field of reeds?" 

I don't suppose that'll get tied up with only 1 episode left and a second season seemingly vetoed.

I’d be surprised if there isn’t a season 2 or if Moon Knight doesn’t pop up in the wider MCU especially with the positive reviews this has gathered. 
 Where did you read that s2 had been ruled out?

As somebody who knows absolutely nothing about Marvel other than what's shown to me on the screen, I think this has been a success so far. 

This is the first series since the Netflix days they've done a completely new character in a series, and in my opinion it's vastly more interesting origin story than we got with The Eternals, Captain Marvel or that Rings one I can't remember the name of. 

I don't think the series is great - very little Marvel content is - but it all hangs together into this larger ensemble, which is at times an utter delight and entirely unique in cinema. The likes of No Way Home simply can't happen without this wider universe.

For me, Moon Knight has been a success because it makes me want to see more of the character and how it fits in with the wider MCU (unlike the Eternals who I didn't care about or Captain Marvel who I wish would just go away.  The ring guy can stick around though). 

Where Moon Knight might fall down is if they make no connection to the wider MCU, or worse still don't take the character forward at all. At that point the series becomes wasted potential and ultimately, fairly forgettable. 

As a series, it's fine, as an introduction to a new character it's good, and as a showcase of Oscar Isaac it has been very good. 

On 29/04/2022 at 08:33, Scruff said:

I saw it elsewhere so I've checked it out and indeed the little girl Steven is talking to in the museum in the first episode does says to him "and did it suck for you? Getting rejected by the field of reeds?" 

😮

Caravan of Garbage also noticed that the fish being drawn in the flashback (then pinned up in Marc/Steven’s bedroom) has only one fin.

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

For me, Moon Knight has been a success because it makes me want to see more of the character and how it fits in with the wider MCU (unlike the Eternals who I didn't care about or Captain Marvel who I wish would just go away.  The ring guy can stick around though). 

Giving you so much side-eye from here. I love her, and so do my niece and nephew. Looks to me like you’re outnumbered…

58 minutes ago, Kodamarama said:

Giving you so much side-eye from here. I love her, and so do my niece and nephew. Looks to me like you’re outnumbered…

Yeah probably outnumbered but I stand by my thought! One of those characters that is so powerful they could solve anything but is conveniently away on business until all hope is lost and she magically appears again. Her film was one of the weakest in the MCU as well!

On 30/04/2022 at 16:07, PeteJ said:

Yeah probably outnumbered but I stand by my thought! One of those characters that is so powerful they could solve anything but is conveniently away on business until all hope is lost and she magically appears again. Her film was one of the weakest in the MCU as well!

I agree. I don't like it when they're basically Superman (who I also find a little dull due to being over powered). Even Thor and Wanda have their weaknesses despite their powers.

On 27/04/2022 at 23:00, Sidewaysbob said:

Well... 

Hide contents

Who was it that asked the hot guide lady at the museum out on a date, to eat the steak dinner. 

That's who I'm waiting to be revealed 

Curtis...