Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...

MidWalian

With regards to what they are buying there is obviously a lot of focus on CoD but getting the mobile stuff as well is big as has been repeatedly pointed out.

Interestingly when my son (13) asked if I had heard about the deal, he said 'Have you heard that MS now own Candy Crush', as that's what the majority of the talk on his school whatsapp group was about, not CoD.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ah well :lol:

Well, MS could have reportedly had the whole of WB interactive for $4-6bn, when they were thinking of selling that division last year.  Seems a rather quant idea now.

Just now, monkeydog said:

Well, MS could have reportedly had the whole of WB interactive for $4-6bn, when they were thinking of selling that division last year.  Seems a rather quant idea now.

Useless without the IP, and you're not getting that for $6bn.

43 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What an ugly post. Please tell us what games are 'good' and would need to play to not be 'weird' in your eyes?

Not only that, you make a lazy connection that people only play them because they are comfortable and, by implication, aren't smart enough to look at other things.

Should I have said 'in my opinion'? I thought that would be quite obvious from my earlier post saying I'd not played one since Modern Warfare. Plus, it was Alex who made the connection that people play them because they're comfortable, which I thought seemed reasonable enough. I never once implied anything about anyone being too stupid to look for other games either, so not sure why you've brought that up.

Maybe you could explain why it's such a massive seller then, seeing as I've got it completely wrong? I'm genuinely interested because, as I said, I (that's me, personally) didn't find it much fun back when I played it, although I'm sure it must have evolved massively since then, seeing as it's still so popular.

51 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

To be fair, it's also a brilliant multiplayer shooter and the campaigns are often full of spectacle that I don't think anyone else does so well. 

I put loads of time into Modern Warfare (recent one) and Cold War's multiplayer.  

I didn't buy the latest one.

Maybe I should give the newer ones a go when they appear on gamepass then.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Maybe you could explain why it's such a massive seller then, seeing as I've got it completely wrong? I'm genuinely interested because, as I said, I (that's me, personally) didn't find it much fun back when I played it, although I'm sure it must have evolved massively since then, seeing as it's still so popular.

Simple, other people find it fun.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe I should give the newer ones a go when they appear on gamepass then.

All it'll cost you is a willingness to go along with the ride and the download. I can understand people not thinking it's the best thing ever, I don't, but it's still good. Be warned though, multiplayer:

https://giphy.com/embed/hPrRsaKxaa7BLeS41G

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Either way, I think it’s now pretty clear what direction Microsoft are heading in. Stack them high, sell them low. Quantity over quality. Loads of games targeted at a more casual audience, on a Netflix style subscription service. Their flagship games haven’t got anywhere near the quality of the competition so far. I think that will be the level they stay at going forwards. That might fly with a lot of people but it’s not going to fly with me. I want the best of the best. Brand new games that push things forward. Hardcore gamers games. Stuff like Returnal. Look at Sony’s recent acquisitions.....

Bluepoint AAA quality.

Housemarque AAA quality.

Sucker Punch AAA quality.

The difference in strategy is pretty obvious. Sony are cherry picking the best of the best to stand alongside their other studios that are already deemed to be some of the best in the industry.  Microsoft are seemingly throwing bags of money at any old shite and hoping something sticks. 

The big question is.......when are Microsoft actually going to start releasing any of these games?!?!? Crash Bandicoot for Christmas 2024???

But they haven’t bought AAA quality, they’ve bought a load of old ip that’s dead in the water and a couple of games that are big with the more “casual” player.......for $68 billion. Also, are folk going to be playing CoD to infinity and Beyond? I doubt it. Someone will make a brand new ip and everyone will eventually jump ship. Last CoD I played was Modern Warfare on 360. 

Returnal is not AAA. Nor is dead nation. What you talking about Willis. 

"I don't play [one of the biggest franchises in the world] therefore it is dead and a waste of money," is a very amusing take.

In terms of business, even if you ignore the absolute mountain of IP MS will get in this deal (there's loads, including all the old Sierra/Vivendi stuff - I think people forget how much Activision owns because they use so little of it), ABK brought in 8 billion dollars in 2020.

70 billion is a ludicrous sum of money but there's little to no doubt that MS will make every penny back on it and then some.

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Returnal is not AAA. Nor is dead nation. What you talking about Willis. 

Clearly a joke post! Top stuff!

Seriously though, Returnal is as AAA and next gen as it gets. Best game I’ve ever played. It’s a beauty!  It’s the exact kind of game Microsoft need to be getting behind. Stuff that’s pushing forwards.......not stuff that’s treading water or is living firmly in the past. How many studios have Microsoft now got that aren’t releasing any decent games anytime soon? Here’s a good idea.......how about buying some more studios to not release any decent games anytime soon. Sounds like a plan!!!

8 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

But they haven’t bought AAA quality, they’ve bought a load of old ip that’s dead in the water and a couple of games that are big with the more “casual” player.......for $68 billion. Also, are folk going to be playing CoD to infinity and Beyond? I doubt it. Someone will make a brand new ip and everyone will eventually jump ship. Last CoD I played was Modern Warfare on 360. 

Me too but that was like 13 years ago.. its 2022 and COD is still there. Year after year after year.

So after yesterdays news its possible that Microsofts lineup from late 2022 through to the end of 2023 includes Forza Motorsport, Starfield, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Contraband, Hellblade 2, Fable, Diablo 4, Overwatch 2 and the next Black Ops. 

Its probably won't pan out that way but thats a ridiculous list on paper. 

Maybe Sony will put a team on a first person shooter so we can actually get something new. Battelfield was a disaster and other than Crossfire X I can't think of any traditional military FPS coming out this year, and that's exclusive to Xbox too I think. Personally i'm much more exited for that due to Remedy's involvement than anything the COD mines spit out

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Thought this was some kind of early April Fools joke, ‘cause surely nobody would be daft enough to buy Activision for $68 billion!!! Apparently not though. Whoever finalised the deal must have been smashed off their tits.......and as high as a kite!

Seriously, $68 billion for.........Activision! Lol. Who has ever heard any of these phrases.....

”Nothing says “seal of quality” more to me, than when it says “Activision” on the box”!

”Alright mate! Just wondered if you’ve got the latest Activision game in stock. Awesome!”.

”Yeah maaaaaaan, I’m a MASSIVE Activision fan”.

Just think what you could buy with $68 Billion!!! It definitely wouldn’t be Activision! Lol

I’m starting to think Microsoft are absolutely fucking clueless and are just resorting to throwing money at any old shit so they can have a list of titles to reel off for Gamepass. Has it not occurred to anyone at Microsoft that they could have just made some brand new IP better than Call of Duty and Crash Bandicoot for a fraction of the price, instead of spunking $68 Billion on absolute pap that will be stacked high and sold low, to folk that will be here today gone tmw. This has big push for the casual waggle and Netflix market written all over it. Xbox is about to go all guns for the “I’m a Failed X-Factor Celebrity In the Jungle Dancing on Ice.......Get Me Out Of Here” crowd. “Get ya Bandicoot game......2 for a paaaaaand”.

Whoever’s in charge at Microsoft.....buy someone decent you absolute plantpots! Sure you could just browse for a Buy it Now on Ebay and end up with something better than Activison. 

:lol:

7 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Seriously though, Returnal is as AAA and next gen as it gets. Best game I’ve ever played. It’s a beauty!  It’s the exact kind of game Microsoft need to be getting behind. Stuff that’s pushing forwards.......not stuff that’s treading water or is living firmly in the past. How many studios have Microsoft now got that aren’t releasing any decent games anytime soon? Here’s a good idea.......how about buying some more studios to not release any decent games anytime soon. Sounds like a plan!!!

Why do they need to? I mean I would probably like them to but why do they "need" to? Is it killing them in the markets that matter. I can probably see it with Spiderman and Last of Us, I can see how those appeal to a wide audience but does Returnal move the needle in terms of platform sales?

10 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The copium is strong here.

46 minutes ago, footle said:

Useless without the IP, and you're not getting that for $6bn.

The usefulness of WB studies shifted a bit with the Bethesda purchase and really shifts if AB completes.  MS will be sitting on loads of IP that can paired with the expertise of WB Studies. Slap a bit of Starcraft dressing on the next Mordor game and it's a modernised Starcraft Ghost.  

All academic as far as I know though. WB have decided they're not for sale?

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

Should I have said 'in my opinion'? I thought that would be quite obvious from my earlier post saying I'd not played one since Modern Warfare. Plus, it was Alex who made the connection that people play them because they're comfortable, which I thought seemed reasonable enough. I never once implied anything about anyone being too stupid to look for other games either, so not sure why you've brought that up.

As I say in my other post, CoD campaigns are a whole different level of bombast and spectacle and I honestly don't think any other games do that so well. Again, look at Battlefield; they have attempted (many times) to try and recreate that 'feel' but they are always flat and just don't get close. This is not to speak of the actual quality of the games, mind, which do vary quite a bit, but they can be some throwaway, quick fun.

Plus there is also the multiplayer which, as I say, has been a big event within the industry for a long time now. The multiplayer has also been very innovative in the past, too, what with 'prestige' levels, zombie scenarios and kill-streaks/perks etc. I don't follow or play these games, so I can't say if that remains the case, but they certainly have been at the forefront of creating a regular, popular online arena and that can't be sniffed at.

21 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Either way, I think it’s now pretty clear what direction Microsoft are heading in. Stack them high, sell them low. Quantity over quality. Loads of games targeted at a more casual audience, on a Netflix style subscription service. Their flagship games haven’t got anywhere near the quality of the competition so far. I think that will be the level they stay at going forwards. That might fly with a lot of people but it’s not going to fly with me. I want the best of the best. Brand new games that push things forward. Hardcore gamers games. Stuff like Returnal. Look at Sony’s recent acquisitions.....

Bluepoint AAA quality.

Housemarque AAA quality.

Sucker Punch AAA quality.

That's all well and good, but how did Returnal sell? That was never going to be a massive smash (and arguably Housemarque will never be a big seller studio); Bluepoint - so far - are just stuck on ports and remasters (yawn) and I'm not sure what you think makes Sucker Punch 'AAA'.

You talk about brand new games and then mention a two studios which has release mainly sequels to their own franchises aren't doing that, outside of Ghosts Of Tsushima. In what way is that releasing stuff to 'push things forward', exactly?

I do actually agree with part of your point, which is that I do think there is an inherent quality in PlayStation games that isn't there for the Xbox and I don't see this acquisition changing that - but I'm not sure it needs to. These purchases will provide something different, rather than direct competition, and in that respect it may well work out for MS.

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Me too but that was like 13 years ago.. its 2022 and COD is still there. Year after year after year.

Best one was CoD2. Pretty sure I played it on 360 at launch if I remember correctly. It’s been downhill ever since!

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

If that was the case, how come nobody else, anywhere, has? DICE have been trying for years with Battlefield (and failing), but nobody else has really gone big-budget military FPS, well, ever, now that I think about it. And CoD used to be known for being a solid 60fps boombastic experience, and it really does sit on its own. Again, the difference between Battlefield's attempts to create a Hollywood blockbuster are a world away from CoD (whether you like either game or not). Plus the multiplayer has been an event in itself for years now too. There's clearly a big audience for the games, whether you think they are quality or not.

It's a silly amount of money, of that there's no question, and perhaps down the line the folly of the deal will become apparent - but that's MS's problem now.

Personally I think PUBG was way better than CoD while it lasted. My point was that Microsoft are throwing money at studio after studio, which is all well and good........if they end up getting quality game after quality game. You get quality games by buying quality developers. That’s not what Microsoft are doing though, they’re essentially buying IP. IP that might be popular now but won’t necessarily be popular in a few years time. And it will be made by teams that aren’t AAA. It’s idiotic!

Look at Sony.......they’re buying AAA quality for a fraction of the money, and it’s not dependent on IP. They can task them with making  brand new games and they have the pedigree and quality to make absolute bangers regardless. Sony are seemingly taking a careful and considered approach. On the other hand Microsoft are like a kid in sweet shop throwing money at anything and everything. On paper Sony should end up with far higher quality games. But will they pull the mainstream punters? I get the feeling Microsoft might just change the playing field......and we’ll end up with cheaper, poorer quality games, targeted at the lowest common denominator.

6 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Best one was CoD2. Pretty sure I played it on 360 at launch if I remember correctly. It’s been downhill ever since!

Personally I think PUBG was way better than CoD while it lasted. My point was that Microsoft are throwing money at studio after studio, which is all well and good........if they end up getting quality game after quality game. You get quality games by buying quality developers. That’s not what Microsoft are doing though, they’re essentially buying IP. IP that might be popular now but won’t necessarily be popular in a few years time. And it will be made by teams that aren’t AAA. It’s idiotic!

Look at Sony.......they’re buying AAA quality for a fraction of the money, and it’s not dependent on IP. They can task them with making  brand new games and they have the pedigree and quality to make absolute bangers regardless. Sony are seemingly taking a careful and considered approach. On the other hand Microsoft are like a kid in sweet shop throwing money at anything and everything. On paper Sony should end up with far higher quality games. But will they pull the mainstream punters? I get the feeling Microsoft might just change the playing field......and we’ll end up with cheaper, poorer quality games, targeted at the lowest common denominator.

It was downhill from CoD2, if you mean it went from selling 6 million copies to selling over 30million at the series peak, then I suppose you could say it was downhill from there...

Idiotic? They are buying someone with revenue of $8Bn a year. It may not be providing the games you want but from a business perspective for MS it ticks all the right boxes.

9 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Idiotic? They are buying someone with revenue of $8Bn a year. It may not be providing the games you want but from a business perspective for MS it ticks all the right boxes.

Revenue of $8bn Profit of around $2bn . And they paid $70bn. 

It’s going to take a long time for pay back, and still keep shareholders happy. Of course you will get some pull through if it drives hardware /subscription sales but I expect a lot of consolidation in support functions over the next 5 years. 

But they wouldn’t have done if they didnt think they could make it work from a financial standpoint. Good luck to them .

• Kryptonian changed the title to Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...