IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

get the digital only one down to 250 quid and get a bundle on it - they need to do what MS did with the orignal xbox.  I bought the fuck out of that when they massively reduced it and bundled Halo, PGR and JSRF

Not a chance.  

They cannot make them fast enough to sell at the current price, so no way are they cutting it for at least 18 months.

lol the Sony doomsaying is hilarious. They got a console people pay above RRP to get, is so in demand they can't make the things quick enough and have like 47 million paying PS plus subscribers. The idea they are all going to shift alegience overnight because of one title is bonkers.

If anything it will give them a kick up the arse to get their own CoD clone to market, competition that would benefit everybody. They might even have one in the works right now, who knows what Bluepoint, Bend, Naughty Dog, Housemarque etc are up to.

I'm quite happy about this now. If CoD gets it's arse back in gear I have an xbox to play it. If Sony decide to take them on with their own FPS rather than just thinking 'CoD's got the market sown up, don't bother' then good. If Microsoft decide hey, we don't fucking need 6 internal developers working on map packs and puts them to work making new games, that's even better as well

Just now, SeanR said:

I just had to google Killzone

to remember the name of a ps-exclusive fps that Sony could use to out-COD COD

so, uh…

To be fair this returns us to the PS2/XBox era. "Killzone is going to be the next Halo!"

Sony have enough innate popularity to be fine, but them piling their big strategy on appearing like a luxury product with gold and diamond style adverts and £70 price tags does seem a bit misjudged now inflation is starting to really kick up (and I think, will go higher and stay that way for at least a couple of years).

20 minutes ago, scottcr said:

get the digital only one down to 250 quid and get a bundle on it - they need to do what MS did with the orignal xbox.  I bought the fuck out of that when they massively reduced it and bundled Halo, PGR and JSRF

Yeah, they dropped the price then because no one was buying it.

4 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I just saw a headline over at IGN that explains why this move by Microsoft puts it in an unassailable lead.

The story is here https://www.ign.com/articles/opinion-its-not-a-console-war-its-a-content-war?

but seriously the headline itself sums it up.

Hey it's the guy off 1up Yours. I wonder what he's been up to since 2007.

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Sony have enough innate popularity to be fine, but them piling their big strategy on appearing like a luxury product with gold and diamond style adverts and £70 price tags does seem a bit misjudged now inflation is starting to really kick up (and I think, will go higher and stay that way for at least a couple of years).

Or actually with great foresight... :sherlock:

17 hours ago, Flanders said:

I’d be interested to know exactly how structured Microsoft’s acquisition strategy has been - ie., whether they always planned to start with smaller developers before cycling up to Bethesda and then one of the megapublishers.

I wonder how much this has to do with Phil's credibility within Microsoft, and their confidence in him and his vision.

33 minutes ago, bear said:

What in the actual factual fuck is this nonsense? It's selling faster than the PS4 and it'd be doing even better if it wasn't for a worldwide chip shortage. 

There's some absolutely hysterical stuff being posted in here. And I don't mean hysterical haha I mean hysterical "relating to or suffering from hysteria". 

Yeah odd really. Think if Sony don't respond to what MS are doing in some way with GamePass - long term they might have issues as MS keep buying more content to put onto GP. Strange how Sony haven't really leveraged / promoted PS Now that much. Still keep things interesting to see how Sony respond.

19 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Same with Returnal really.......loads of people were £70 and it’s not AAA and it’s a flop and Sony have sunk Housemarque for good sending them out to die. Now it’s their game of the year 2021! Lol.

Returnal is a great game I love it, but you are serioulsy deluded if you think it was not hamstrung by the £70 price tag.  I seem to recall it struggling to break into top ten sales chart on the week of release, and sales sank without a trace the following week.

Outside of serious gamer circles I would serioulsy doubt if 90% of casual gamers know anything about it these days.

4 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Yes this is a power move and it could very well shift the balance of power in the industry but it's a little early to be writing the obituary for the current market leader. 

Nintendo?

I mean, it's cute how people just totally forget how many Switches they are selling......

52 minutes ago, K said:

I just heard a noise from the street, and saw that someone had thrown their PS5 out of their front door onto the road. A few seconds later, someone else did the same thing. I had a quick look to see if it still worked, but it was smashed to pieces and someone had written "NO" in felt-tip on the side. It feels like the tide is turning.

Obviously false because the PS5 would smash the road, not the other way around.

7 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

By all means recognise this move for what it is and if you're a Gamepass fan then celebrate the wealth of extra content headed your way but you should also be hoping that Sony are successful in keeping MS on their toes and vice versa.

This. If Microsoft now have the depth of studios to (eventually) make all those games they don't have, like giving Fable to Playground, then this is more to keep the companies close enough to force them both to innovate for consumers. I guess we'll have to see how it pans out for the likes of COD, but generally, you want them both working for us, not either one running away with it.

And, honestly, now that Nintendo have found their "niche" with the combined handheld/console strategy, I love that they're just off doing their own thing. I'd love a second Switch, were it not for their daft stance on save game portability for certain titles.

4 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

So what decent and relevant IP have Microsoft now got access to for their $68 billion? Is there anything other than CoD that could be considered big news in future and potentially worth that amount of money?

Warcraft

Starcraft

Diablo

Just now, layten said:

Warcraft

Starcraft

Diablo

Obviously heard of them but never played them and not sure what relevance they hold these days. They seem like more PC centric titles and I’ve always been a console/arcade gamer, with the exception of the C-16/64 and Amiga. Does seem like Microsoft have been more focused towards the PC style stuff recently. Any big console style games in there. I’m assuming Tony Hawk’s, but not seeing that having a big pull these days.

Just now, CrichStand said:

Obviously heard of them but never played them and not sure what relevance they hold these days. They seem like more PC centric titles and I’ve always been a console/arcade gamer, with the exception of the C-16/64 and Amiga. Does seem like Microsoft have been more focused towards the PC style stuff recently. Any big console style games in there. I’m assuming Tony Hawk’s, but not seeing that having a big pull these days.

Microsoft have always leaned towards more western centric genres such as RPGS,  FPS’s and racing sims, as such those games are a good fit for them, as are the likes that Bethesda publish. 

MS pretty much own most of the FPS genre now when you look at it:

Doom

Halo

COD

Wolfenstein

Overwatch

Only ones that haven't locked down are Battlefield (but have a link up with EA anyway) and obviously the F2P ones like Fortnite and PUBG

8 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Guitar Hero are 3 arcade IP’s they now own of the top of my head.

17 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

So what decent and relevant IP have Microsoft now got access to for their $68 billion? Is there anything other than CoD that could be considered big news in future and potentially worth that amount of money?

- Overwatch and the Overwatch League

- Hearthstone and the hearthstone esports

- Diablo

- Warcraft

- Candy Crush*

- Starcraft

Plus you can safely presume that those teams are working on some new stuff that would have the aim of becoming a big league IP.

*it’s something that I doubt anyone on here has any interest in but I shareholders would describe it as “decent and relevant”

And World of Warcraft basically took over the MMO market after launching in 2004 and caused everyone to try and emulate it. That it continues to pull in the numbers it does is remarkable. Every mobile MMO I see is basically rebadged WoW.

So  in roundabout terms MS now have in their stable or as exclusives (in the west at least) arguably the number one FPS (COD), MMO (WoW), racing game (Forza), mobile game (CC), strategy game (AoE or FM depending on your opinion) and sim (FS2020)

1 minute ago, dfq23 said:

So  in roundabout terms MS now have in their stable or as exclusives (in the west at least) arguably the number one FPS (COD), MMO (WoW), racing game (Forza), mobile game (CC), strategy game (AoE or FM depending on your opinion) and sim (FS2020)

I’m not sure Forza has ever done as well as Gran Turismo. 

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

- Overwatch and the Overwatch League

- Hearthstone and the hearthstone esports

- Diablo

- Warcraft

- Candy Crush*

- Starcraft

Plus you can safely presume that those teams are working on some new stuff that would have the aim of becoming a big league IP.

*it’s something that I doubt anyone on here has any interest in but I shareholders would describe it as “decent and relevant”

2 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

Yeah but Crichy doesn’t like any of them so they don’t count.