Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...

MidWalian

I don’t think we’ll need to worry about gamepass going up on our end. Even if MS have the market sewn up it will always need to be an attractive price to compete with all the other things vying for our attention like Netflix, Kindle etc.

What we do need to keep an eye on though is what MS are willing to pay devs. That’s where they (or any other company) would start to turn the screws first and will have a direct affect on what kind of games get made. 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don’t know how they’re marketing it these days, if they’re actually advertising it that way then no it’s not a loophole. I used to think it was a one time deal when moving over from Gold to Game Pass. Is that not the case? I’ve already paid full whack for mine having bought an All Access Series X.

No, it’s not a one time deal really. If your subscription lapses you can load up on gold and convert again as often as you want. That said, I do think it’s £10 instead of £1 to do it after the first time. Which furthers makes my point - they’ve a pricing model sorted out for it, so it’s not a mistake or something they don’t plan on.

I suspect it may go up in time, but that time might not be this gen. Or they’ll just stop selling gold I guess….

9 minutes ago, rgraves said:

No, it’s not a one time deal really. If your subscription lapses you can load up on gold and convert again as often as you want. That said, I do think it’s £10 instead of £1 to do it after the first time. Which furthers makes my point - they’ve a pricing model sorted out for it, so it’s not a mistake or something they don’t plan on.

I suspect it may go up in time, but that time might not be this gen.

Yeah, I was just interested in whether they explicitly advertise it as such these days, whether it’s £1 or £10 or whatever, or whether it’s just something the likes of us enthusiasts on games forums know about.

If not, even though it’s something they may appear to be tacitly encouraging, it’s also something they could just stop without any notice. That’s why it’s more of a loophole, IMO. 

I believe if your sub has lapsed it’s plastered all over their webpages for you, so it’s deffo not hidden.

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t just stop it if they wanted to though, sure.

2 hours ago, layten said:

On the subject of paid exclusives. I wonder if SE and Atlus are taking a good look at their exclusivity contracts with Sony, I wouldn't want to be releasing a JRPG on anything other than the Switch these days.

image.thumb.png.b5e2d57006adffc56983b8db12060feb.png

Yes, that is the 'all formats' chart.

I'm curious as to how exclusivity is decided with regards to Atlus, as they always appear to just be doing their own thing with specific exclusives seemingly determined at random. Mainline Persona is Playstation, but then Strikers is multiplatform, Q is 3DS exclusive and currently SMT V is Switch exclusive. 13 Sentinels is due to come out on Switch, Catherine which was on 360 did not have Full Body release on Xbox One. It kind of feels like they're in their own strange world with deciding what platforms they develop and publish for.

For SE, a large amount of their catalogue comes to Switch, some exclusively (Bravely Default II, Triangle Strategy) but I can't really see them bringing mainline Final Fantasy back to Nintendo consoles (not counting ports of older ones like X and XII) due to their insistence on having each new numbered installment being at the absolute cutting edge of what they can achieve, damned if it takes ten years to put out. Nintendo hardware is not in the position to satiate their fidelity fetish.

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I don’t think it that controversial to consider whether we are we still in the introductory offer stage of the Gamepass project and not what the long term price to consumer and to other providers will be. It certainly won’t be £30 + £1 a year.

The price is $9.99 or $14.99 a month. I think you're talking offers for brand new users, or the fudge method of converting Gold for $1 or $10.99, which you can reasonably assume will go away at some point.

edit - oops, I see this was subsequently been talked about.

3 hours ago, mikeyl said:

check out Mr Business Businessman here, it’s not the insult you think it is.

I don’t think it that controversial to consider whether we are we still in the introductory offer stage of the Gamepass project and not what the long term price to consumer and to other providers will be. It certainly won’t be £30 + £1 a year.

gamepass will increase in price one day.  Thanks mystic Meg.  :D

10 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Ooofff!!!

IMG_20220123_121816.jpg

This person “lost” the day he got the tattoo not the the day Crash Bandicoot’s IP moved to Microsoft.

If your choice of gaming platform is so important to you that you need to do this to yourself you have bigger problems than an out-of-date tattoo.

If you love Crash Bandicoot enough to get a tattoo of the character you should be in a padded cell.

On 22/01/2022 at 21:48, Sarlaccfood said:

I mean shit even if nothing like the above happens again, this buyout has already sliced a tenner a month off whatever gamepass rival they had planned at the very least. 

Given that XGPU costs $15 and you'd imagine Sony wouldn't price Spartacus at much more than this, they'd be selling it you at about the same price as they currently charge for monthly PS+, which sounds kind of a pointless exercise from their POV.

Subscriptions are about increasing ARPU, not decreasing it.

Microsoft should just buy up EA and Take-Two and Ubisoft, now that would sew up the traditional console market, they'd own practically the entire Top 10 yearly best selling games in most Western markets not made by Nintendo or Sony.

3 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

This person “lost” the day he got the tattoo not the the day Crash Bandicoot’s IP moved to Microsoft.

If your choice of gaming platform is so important to you that you need to do this to yourself you have bigger problems than an out-of-date tattoo.

If you love Crash Bandicoot enough to get a tattoo of the character you should be in a padded cell.

I find the die hards are incredibly difficult to talk with, regardless of their allegiance.

It boggles my mind. I was like this with the Gamecube... When I was 13. Now I just go where the games are I like. 

I have had a Sony machine as my main since the PS4, Switch for Indies and PC for gamepass, but I actually mained the One X at the end of that gen just because I loved the hardware. I put 1000s of hours speedrunning Resi 2 on the Xbox. I even played franchises like Ace Combat and Kingdom Hearts on Xbox which I have always just associated with Playstation. I just go where the games are, and where the resolutions/frame rates are (from a console pov).

I do have some concerns regarding whole publisher acquisitions, but they are my concerns. I also see alot of good that can come of it too. It's not binary, and time will show the whole range of changes that come with something like this. Uh oh, I have concerns, clearly a Sony bot. 

40 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Microsoft should just buy up EA and Take-Two and Ubisoft, now that would sew up the traditional console market, they'd own practically the entire Top 10 yearly best selling games in most Western markets not made by Nintendo or Sony.

Zero chance of that making through without being challenged on monopoly grounds. Even if the US didn't do it, the EU would love to make an example of a big US tech giant.

22 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

My point was they absolutely would have charged more before all this. 

PS+ and PSNow, which is what Spartacus is supposedly going to replace costs $60+$60, XGPU costs $180. I highly doubt Sony were going to be charging significantly more than what Microsoft think XGPU is worth annually, given that they are only currently charging significantly less than them for the 2 services that will be combined in some fashion going forward. I just found the maths mildly amusing.

1 minute ago, kensei said:

Zero chance of that making through without being challenged on monopoly grounds. Even if the US didn't do it, the EU would love to make an example of a big US tech giant.

Of course, that would just be a nakedly monopolistic move which nobody in their right mind could justify (but I'm sure somebody would anyway).

Gamepass already has EA onboard, and they are supposed to have cut a deal with Ubisoft as well to bring Ubi + or whatever the fuck it's called onto GP later this year.  I assume they will have binding contracts to ensure nobody does a runner, so other than Take 2 they pretty much have the Western big hitters sewed up this gen without the need to buy anyone else.

7 hours ago, Waggo said:

Gamepass already has EA onboard, and they are supposed to have cut a deal with Ubisoft as well to bring Ubi + or whatever the fuck it's called onto GP later this year.

They have a deal for Ubi+ to be on Xbox (ie. you can access your subscription from the console, same as Netflix, Disney+ or Spotify), not GamePass. Have a look at the thread on here, loads of people misread the the announcement.

8 hours ago, mushashi said:

PS+ and PSNow, which is what Spartacus is supposedly going to replace costs $60+$60, XGPU costs $180. I highly doubt Sony were going to be charging significantly more than what Microsoft think XGPU is worth annually, given that they are only currently charging significantly less than them for the 2 services that will be combined in some fashion going forward. I just found the maths mildly amusing.

Of course, that would just be a nakedly monopolistic move which nobody in their right mind could justify (but I'm sure somebody would anyway).

Do I get to download and play full fat PC games with PS+ and PSNow?

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

They have a deal for Ubi+ to be on Xbox (ie. you can access your subscription from the console, same as Netflix, Disney+ or Spotify), not GamePass. Have a look at the thread on here, loads of people misread the the announcement.

Ubisoft+ is on Stadia and Luna already. It's not particularly special that its landing on Xbox.  It's kind of odd it's last.

Aside from the misunderstanding you point out, I think there is a feeling of 'only a matter of time' before it's rolled into Game Pass or MS buy Ubisoft.  I don't think either's a given, especially as Ubisoft have resisted being bought out for so long. Not sure I'd bet against it in these weird, post the AB* announcement times though.

* and K. Poor King, no one cares about how their staff are feeling right now.

remember when xbox's big play was to leverage their recent success in the console business to get into selling cable TV boxes (capable of spying on people's children)? don matrick you legend.

1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

That's comfortably the best commentary vid I've yet seen on the deal.

Mostly ok until “the metaverse is all about NFTs” right at the end. As opposed to “NFT shills are trying to pretend that the metaverse is dependent upon them”, which it isn’t…

• Kryptonian changed the title to Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...