IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

The terrifying thing is that Microsoft, as a company, just announced $18.8bn profit.

That’s the other thing that the video misses - they don’t need to make all $70bn back on activision blizzard in the short term, or even medium term. They just need to get a better return on investment than they would leaving it sitting in deflationary assets.

11 hours ago, bear said:

The idea of a Warzone 2 is a surprise to me. 

Next-gen only? I suppose the real question is how many of these have massive Sony-exclusive release periods attached.

52 minutes ago, footle said:

Next-gen only? I suppose the real question is how many of these have massive Sony-exclusive release periods attached.

Judging by previous COD releases I would say none.  

So we are likely to see £70 PS5 release v Gamepass day 1 in Nov 2023 I reckon.  

Interesting times ahead.

A little tidbit from Capcoms earnings which might help show why games companies are worth so much more now than they were during the PS2/Xbox era.

But at 70% of its total unit sales, the company’s sales during the nine-month period have been overwhelmingly driven by older games in the Resident Evil and Monster Hunter series.

Monster Hunter Rise has now sold 8 million units since its release last year, and Resident Evil 7 has achieved its 6th consecutive year selling more than 1 million units and cleared 10 million total sales.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/capcom-reports-record-profits-yet-again-as-older-games-continue-to-sell/

Games have a much longer lifecycle now. Obviously they didn't sell a million copies of RE7 at full price last year but its still a steady source of revenue for them years after it came out. 

On 23/01/2022 at 17:42, Cheyenne said:

I'm curious as to how exclusivity is decided with regards to Atlus, as they always appear to just be doing their own thing with specific exclusives seemingly determined at random. Mainline Persona is Playstation, but then Strikers is multiplatform, Q is 3DS exclusive and currently SMT V is Switch exclusive. 13 Sentinels is due to come out on Switch, Catherine which was on 360 did not have Full Body release on Xbox One. It kind of feels like they're in their own strange world with deciding what platforms they develop and publish for.

And P4 Arena on 360 and PS3 (but with Ultimax coming to more platforms now.) Oh, and Nocturne Remaster on Switch, PS4 and Windows. And the earlier Windows port of P4 Golden.

I get the feeling that they're not contract-bound to anyone and just go and do their own weird thing...unless someone specifically puts in a bunch of money (like Nintendo paying Platinum for Bayonetta I guess.) Obviously I'm very curious to see where Persona 6 ends up (I have a feeling it will be the last big reveal in their year of announcements...)

5 hours ago, Waggo said:

Judging by previous COD releases I would say none.  

So we are likely to see £70 PS5 release v Gamepass day 1 in Nov 2023 I reckon.  

Interesting times ahead.

People who just have a PlayStation will just take the hit and buy it anyhow I'm guessing. Otherwise you'd be buying a new piece of hardware and a sub to play. Of course you could go xCloud and do it that way if you have something compatible with it kicking about. Although again guessing most people want the path of least resistance and just stump up the cash. 

Also there are other options too.. what's to stop MS sub-licensing the game to other cloud platforms and just having timed exclusive on GamePass? Lots of options I guess.. depends where MS go with this I guess.

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

As somebody who buys games on PlayStation primarily it wont make a difference to me whether COD is on Gamepass Day 1 or not, I'd have to pay for it on PS5/PS4 whether Xbox players have to pay for it or not.

With you saying primarily, I take it you still have your Series console, so why wouldn’t you just play it on Gamepass and save yourself £70?

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

With you saying primarily, I take it you still have your Series console, so why wouldn’t you just play it on Gamepass and save yourself £70?

I genuinely prefer the Dualshock/Dualsense pads and just prefer to play on Playstation to be perfectly honest.

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

I genuinely prefer the Dualshock/Dualsense pads and just prefer to play on Playstation to be perfectly honest.

Well if that’s worth paying extra to you, then fair enough I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I would imagine COD die-hards will stay or go depending on what their friends list is doing.

Indeed the eco-system is king here. If a bunch of friends are all playing on one platform they are likely to stay on that. Unless its cross-plaform online of course then it really doesn't matter.

All comes down to preferences - console, controller, friends lists, money spent on eco-system etc. Its a similar thing with iPhone and Android phones for example... people just like what they know. People who have less disposable income will probably go for the GamePass option but they won't probably have gone for a PS5 anyway and will already be on GamePass. 

If a game I really wanted to play came up on another eco-system I'd simply just find the cheapest way possible of playing that possible. If not then I'd just skip it.

Which is why I have a PS5 and not a Xbox. I can get to any of the Xbox through the PC I already have or even just using xCloud.  However I cannot get the new exclusive PS5 games any other way at the moment and things like the duel sense will be implemented on the exclusives giving a different experience to what I can get elsewhere. So this way round is great for me as I get the best of all worlds. As my PC ages I'll probably just move over to streaming any MS content I want to play via xCloud/GamePass. 

1 hour ago, bear said:

A little tidbit from Capcoms earnings which might help show why games companies are worth so much more now than they were during the PS2/Xbox era.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/capcom-reports-record-profits-yet-again-as-older-games-continue-to-sell/

Games have a much longer lifecycle now. Obviously they didn't sell a million copies of RE7 at full price last year but its still a steady source of revenue for them years after it came out. 

It's my understanding that towards the end of the 360/PS3 era - so around 2010-2012 - a lot of new games were absolutely bombing out of the charts into oblivion and obscurity just 6 weeks after release. In fact, it was discussed at the games studio I was at at the time, that this was a real risk for upcoming games. If you were a hit you had some longevity, if not your were dead. 

Think the likes of Remember me/Bodycount/Fuse (remember that?). The A or AA middle ground that still cost you £40 for a physical disc. Little price variance. Everything £40 from the shop.  

I think this lead to that whole publisher expectation thing for the likes of Dead Space 3 were they wanted it to hit 5 million copies or something ludicrious, boom or bust. The "kitchen sink" approach to Resident Evil 6 (which is amazing btw, sometimes for the wrong reasons).

It's good to see these longer sales-tails on older games now-a-days. I think the likes of YouTube and Youtubers highlighting "hidden-gems" gives them a bit of free marketting that wasn't there before.

13 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

If you want to play CoD, you're going to *have* to move over at some point - MS have not paid that money to carry on putting it on PS past 2023 at the latest. So pay out the extra £70 for a bit, but keep in mind it's a pill you're going to have to swallow at some point....

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If you want to play CoD, you're going to *have* to move over at some point - MS have not paid that money to carry on putting it on PS past 2023 at the latest. So pay out the extra £70 for a bit, but keep in mind it's a pill you're going to have to swallow at some point....

I'd more than likely just stop playing COD at that point, it would be dead without the PS players.

This is very good:

https://hitpoints.substack.com/p/89-a-little-perspective

Nate Dogg (no, not that one) on why this might not be the knockout blow for Sony that all last week's gifs prophesised. Also has a link to a fascinatingly grim article in the Guardian by Keza MacDonald about the bleak setup of the metaverse:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/jan/25/ive-seen-the-metaverse-and-i-dont-want-it

9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'd more than likely just stop playing COD at that point, it would be dead without the PS players.

The majority of those PS players will presumably become Xbox players.

I can’t see anyone who’s casual enough to only play CoD being into any console wars nonsense and pledging allegiance to Sony.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

The majority of those PS players will presumably become Xbox players.

I can’t see anyone who’s casual enough to only play CoD being into any console wars nonsense and pledging allegiance to Sony.

Most of my casual friends don't even know what an Xbox is all about, they see it as a kids toy, they use their playstation for COD, Fifa and Gran Turismo, that's it basically.

4 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Yeah not quite sure what MS are going to do with CoD TBH. Wouldn't make sense to completely stop licensing it for the PlayStation platform... as they automatically aren't going to get PlayStation owners suddenly buying Xboxes to play. Just making it available on as many platforms as they can at the moment would get them more money in IMHO.

When people come to replace their current gaming box because its died or a new version is out... well... that might be more interesting to see where people drift.

19 minutes ago, K said:

This is very good:

https://hitpoints.substack.com/p/89-a-little-perspective

Nate Dogg (no, not that one) on why this might not be the knockout blow for Sony that all last week's gifs prophesised. Also has a link to a fascinatingly grim article in the Guardian by Keza MacDonald about the bleak setup of the metaverse:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/jan/25/ive-seen-the-metaverse-and-i-dont-want-it

I am not sure I agree with his point about hardware revenues to be honest, for either company.

Until you can walk into a shop and buy either console (which hasn't been possible since launch) the hardware revenues for both Sony and Microsoft are going to be a function of how quickly they can produce units.

Both are still completely supply constrained. Without a stock tracker you aren't buying either.

The 4% growth on last quarter is a function of the fact that everyone still can't get semiconductors. 

4 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yeah not quite sure what MS are going to do with CoD TBH. Wouldn't make sense to completely stop licensing it for the PlayStation platform... as they automatically aren't going to get PlayStation owners suddenly buying Xboxes to play. Just making it available on as many platforms as they can at the moment would get them more money in IMHO.

When people come to replace their current gaming box because its died or a new version is out... well... that might be more interesting to see where people drift.

Em, I think that's one of the main reasons they bought Activision. 

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's good to see these longer sales-tails on older games now-a-days. I think the likes of YouTube and Youtubers highlighting "hidden-gems" gives them a bit of free marketting that wasn't there before.

And the rise of digital - a lot of the short tails was because of stock clearances to make retail shelf space available for the next title, now with infinite shelf space there's no need to push older titles aside. I also think it's why we've seen a lot longer development cycles, there's simply less needs for annual/biennial titles to exist purely to ensure there's something on the shelves regularly.