IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

The majority of those PS players will presumably become Xbox players.

I can’t see anyone who’s casual enough to only play CoD being into any console wars nonsense and pledging allegiance to Sony.

Perhaps... similarly those casual enough won't go and buy a new console either - especially if they've dropped £500+ on a new one. Certainly be interesting to see where all this goes.

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Em, I think that's one of the main reasons they bought Activision. 

No its to get them onto the GamePass service... anyone who has a PlayStation doesn't need an Xbox to play GamePass content. That is why MS are doing what they are doing. IMHO of course.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Perhaps... similarly those casual enough won't go and buy a new console either - especially if they've dropped £500+ on a new one. Certainly be interesting to see where all this goes.

Casual players aren't buying consoles when they are £500+. Unless they are rich casual players.

Just now, MattyP said:

No its to get them onto the GamePass service... 

And that answers this question...

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Casual players aren't buying consoles when they are £500+. Unless they are rich casual players.

Indeed. They'd be playing on their phones instead... ;)  Not actually sure what a "casual" gamer is anyway. Wouldn't call CoD casual myself. 

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

They could always sell their Sony CoD player to fund an MS CoD player though.

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Casual players aren't buying consoles when they are £500+

There's a $299 or $24.99/mo option, if that helps. 

As an aside, casual PlayStation owners in the UK (clearly) know what a PlayStation is but think the Xbox is a toy? Is that a Europe thing or something? 

25 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If you want to play CoD, you're going to *have* to move over at some point - MS have not paid that money to carry on putting it on PS past 2023 at the latest. So pay out the extra £70 for a bit, but keep in mind it's a pill you're going to have to swallow at some point....

I’m not so sure about that. It’s expected that by the end of 2022 the PS5 will have outsold the Series consoles 2:1. I think it will be more than that with games like GT7 and God of War coming out. Halo Infinite hasn’t changed much. Nor has the latest Forza Horizon. They’re Microsoft’s 2 biggest hitters. Most stuff from their acquisitions isn’t expected till late 2023/2024, others as far away as 2025. Doubt this gen will show much change with Sony still way out on top. It would make more sense to leave CoD multi format for now and rake in the money from other consoles.

It’ll be next gen where all this stuff comes into play. Looking at this deal it seems Microsoft are covering their arse. Basically if their own machine undersells they have loads of games to put out on PC, PlayStation, Switch, Mobile etc, so their future in gaming is secured.

Like all of Microsoft's other acquisitions, this is a purchase where the true impact won't be felt for at least several years. Just as we're not yet at the point where their stable of developers is churning out a stream of games on the regular, we're not going to feel the impact of this purchase until CoD actually goes exclusive, at which point we might be getting close to a mid-gen refresh or the launch of slim models. So it won't change the trajectory of console sales much in the next few years really.

30 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'd more than likely just stop playing COD at that point, it would be dead without the PS players.

How would it be dead without PS players? Call of Duty sells disproportionately well on Xbox relative to its market share and you have PC players as well. That's still millions and millions of players even if literally no-one migrated from Playstation.

The type of player who only really buys CoD and one or two other games a year on Playstation will be the most likely to migrate. Those who are heavily invested in the PS ecosystem but still love CoD are less certain to move but that's why MS are trying to make GamePass as platform agnostic as possible. Stay invested in the PS ecosystem if you want but you can still give us your subs money for CoD and play via the cloud or mobile or PC.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

They could always sell their Sony CoD player to fund an MS CoD player though.

:) They could I guess. Anyhow however it pans out I'm sure some corporation or another will make another huge bag of money from all this. CoD players will find somewhere to play. Sony will still release Sony exclusive content. Where we play it all is what it ultimately all comes down to and well as long as the price is reasonable and the choice is available let the corporates squabble over that. :D I expect it will get messy before it gets settled. Ie: Lots of services and exclusive grabbing, timed exclusives etc etc. 

14 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I am not sure I agree with his point about hardware revenues to be honest, for either company.

Until you can walk into a shop and buy either console (which hasn't been possible since launch) the hardware revenues for both Sony and Microsoft are going to be a function of how quickly they can produce units.

Both are still completely supply constrained. Without a stock tracker you aren't buying either.

The 4% growth on last quarter is a function of the fact that everyone still can't get semiconductors. 

I dunno, this might be the case for Series X and PS5, but Series S consoles are readily available - they're in stock everywhere I've checked (which is admittedly just Currys and Amazon). The Series S plays all the same games as the X - surely anyone who wants one can get one now?

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

There's a $250 option, if that helps. 

As an aside, casual PlayStation owners in the UK (clearly) know what a PlayStation is but think the Xbox is a toy? Is that a Europe thing or something? 

Thought they were all toys myself... :D Glad I don't like CoD TBH. Or FIFA. :) 

39 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'd more than likely just stop playing COD at that point, it would be dead without the PS players.

I mean we have cross play turned off (for vanguard, black ops and Mw) and we get into games super quick and always full lobbies on Cbox.

Claiming it would be dead due to lack of PS players is hamming it up a fair bit.

25 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yeah not quite sure what MS are going to do with CoD TBH. Wouldn't make sense to completely stop licensing it for the PlayStation platform... as they automatically aren't going to get PlayStation owners suddenly buying Xboxes to play.

Sell it at £70-£110 on PlayStation. 
Give it away as part of GamePass on Xbox

I could also see them doing loads of promos with the Series S being super cheap and getting a bunch of cod points / skins free.

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Also, is CoD still going to be that relevant in 5 to 10 years time? I doubt it. Something else will have come along by then and caught the attention of a new gen of gamers.

It’s been one of the best selling games every year for the past almost 2 decades.

Yes it will still be relevant in 5-10 years. 

7 minutes ago, T Pot said:

I mean we have cross play turned off (for vanguard, black ops and Mw) and we get into games super quick and always full lobbies on Cbox.

Claiming it would be dead due to lack of PS players is hamming it up a fair bit.

I purposely tried to ignore his fanboy comments.

5 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno, this might be the case for Series X and PS5, but Series S consoles are readily available - they're in stock everywhere I've checked (which is admittedly just Currys and Amazon). The Series S plays all the same games as the X - surely anyone who wants one can get one now?

The Series S has been readily available everywhere for ages now but people clearly aren’t buying them in the numbers Microsoft were expecting. It was supposed to be the big seller and Microsoft’s main focus. Ebay is flooded with people selling their Series S machines off for around £150. There are a lot of  Series X consoles not selling on there too, with the brand new ones only just making RRP or slightly above. The PS5 is still in high demand though and going for crazy prices. Microsoft have certainly got their work cut out for them!

I know many people that would still pay £60-70 for COD on PS4/5 rather than getting it on Gamepass. 

Microsoft would be far wiser to just keep it multiplatform, but make it clear it is part of gamepass. Some may jump, but even looking at Steam reviews for the latest gamepass biggies, shows that the eco system is more important than price upfront. 

Plus all the cosmetic income, it is wiser to leave something like this multiplatform, and bring other IPs such as Diablo, Crash and what not to the Xbox platform only. 

That flexibility at least has some leeway for those that are happy where they are. It doesn't make a difference to me personally as I switch my 'main' system pretty often. 

4 minutes ago, T Pot said:

It’s been one of the best selling games every year for the past almost 2 decades.

Yes it will still be relevant in 5-10 years. 

I don’t play it personally but, from looking into it, it appears that the latest one has been getting a lukewarm reception at best. 

Also, I find that pretty depressing. If CoD is still massively relevant in 10yrs time and nothing new has topped it then.......well, that’s pretty bleak. 

I think people are underestimating just how big a brand COD is, it’s a massive seller year in year out, suggesting people won’t jump ship to Xbox, or play it on PC, and just play something else on their PlayStations, is shortsighted IMO.

The biggest install base is still PS4, those customers who play COD will absolutely consider an Xbox as their next console now that it’s exclusive, and on Game Pass. To believe otherwise you are just in denial, IMO.

8 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I don’t play it personally but, from looking into it, it appears that the latest one has been getting a lukewarm reception at best. 

Also, I find that pretty depressing. If CoD is still massively relevant in 10yrs time and nothing new has topped it then.......well, that’s pretty bleak. 

The trouble with COD is that there are so many franchises across different developers - a Black Ops isn't the same as a Modern Warfare and some are generally more highly regarded than others.

Don't ask me which, I play them, I'm terrible at them all, and mostly I get annoyed at the humongous downloads/updates with shocking regularity.  That's why people are flogging their S's!

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

I think people are underestimating just how big a brand COD is, it’s a massive seller year in year out, suggesting people won’t jump ship to Xbox, or play it on PC, and just play something else on their PlayStations, is shortsighted IMO.

The biggest install base is still PS4, those customers who play COD will absolutely consider an Xbox as their next console now that it’s exclusive, and on Game Pass. To believe otherwise you are just in denial, IMO.

As has been mentioned already as well - people will go where their friends go.  Now for us alleged grown ups we might have conversations and all decide to migrate platform en masse.  But kids will go where their friends do and that'll be based on whichever one (or their parents) bites first.  And there's no guarantee they'll be a wizened ol' rllmuker with a bigger picture, more likely a harassed parent in Smyths asking them for advice.

I mean, of course only 18+ play COD.

25 minutes ago, K said:

Crucially though it doesn't have a disc drive, which is a huge sticking point for a lot of people still.

But yeah, this 8% hardware growth (vs. the same quarter last year) is even more interesting when viewed through the fact that overall console hardware sales were down 38% in the USA in November (the typically biggest month of the year - black friday and Xmas), due to supply chain issues:

The semiconductor crisis is fucking both manufacturers pretty hard at the moment.

2 minutes ago, sprite said:

The trouble with COD is that there are so many franchises across different developers - a Black Ops isn't the same as a Modern Warfare and some are generally more highly regarded than others.

Don't ask me which, I play them, I'm terrible at them all, and mostly I get annoyed at the humongous downloads/updates with annoying regularity.  That's why people are flogging their S's!

Yeah, I’m not up on all the different versions and stuff. I don’t play online that much either, mostly prefer single player campaigns. Last CoD I enjoyed was Modern Warfare on 360. Played one on PS4 and it was rubbish in comparison.

I’m finding the PS5 a pain with its limited SSD space, so I can see what you mean about the S. 

Another thing.......if “casual” gamers  only really buy their machines for CoD and FIFA (and the attach rates seem to back this up). Then Gamepass isn’t good value for those people. They’re better off just buying the games outright. On top of that they can then buy physical copies, at which point the second hand market comes into play too, which batters the value of Gamepass.

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Another thing.......if “casual” gamers  only really buy their machines for CoD and FIFA (and the attach rates seem to back this up). Then Gamepass isn’t good value for those people. They’re better off just buying the games outright. On top of that they can then buy physical copies, at which point the second hand market comes into play too, which batters the value of Gamepass.

It doesn’t matter, if they only play COD and FIFA and literally nothing else, then if they want to play both going forward they’ll have to either buy an Xbox, a PC and/or subscribe to Game Pass. I don’t see an option there that isn’t a win for MS. And they can still buy the games physically on Xbox if they choose. 

Haven’t we determined that CoD is irrelevant and we should brace ourselves for the shitstorm from the phone fanboys when they take Candy Crush off the App Store and make it exclusive to the Gamepass mobile app/windows mobile