Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...

MidWalian

Schrier is saying Wall Street expects the deal to fail:

Which I’m quite surprised to read. Wasn’t Desantis (a Democrat) caught recently trying to squash the lawsuits against Actiblizz? Dems love themselves a bit of business interests.

I'll take it over Schreier again whipping up the console warriors to drive clicks to his pay masters.

Everybody's favorite video game analyst doesn't think there will be an issue.

image.png.a9bb763cb1db3915815208e946414863.png

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Wasn’t Desantis (a Democrat)

Which DeSantis?

It would be absolutely unimaginably amazing if Microsoft, I think the last of the current tech titans beat down by US.gov, manages to time this acquisition just when US.gov suddenly cares about M&A again. Like, we'll let the 3rd and 4th biggest mobile carriers merge, For Competition(tm), but I think we'll draw the line at Microsoft publishing World of Warcraft.

I mean, look at these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_mergers_and_acquisitions#2020s

(I appreciate this all involves separate bits of the federal government)

It's not even as if Microsoft are or will be after the merger even close to being the dominant player in the gaming market. The negativity which seems to be coming mainly from the gaming press seems to smell a lot like 'the company I don't prefer is doing this, therefore it's bad'.

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I doubt most games journalists are half as invested in console war bullshit as you are.

I'd suspect you are very wrong, as whipping up the fanboys brings all the clicks and page views. Heck, the DF lot have made their entire recent career out of it.

Also, the shitposting thread for this type of post is over here: 

So next time you feel the need to take a pop with the same tired old line, at least keep it where it lives.

12 minutes ago, layten said:

It's not even as if Microsoft are or will be after the merger even close to being the dominant player in the gaming market. The negativity which seems to be coming mainly from the gaming press seems to smell a lot like 'the company I don't prefer is doing this, therefore it's bad'.

I don’t have an issue with your analysis. I just have an issue with quoting Hoeg!

1 minute ago, footle said:

I just have an issue with quoting Hoeg!

Oh, is there some baggage I'm not aware of. If so I'll be happy to remove the link if he is an internet wrong'un.

1 minute ago, layten said:

Oh, is there some baggage I'm not aware of. If so I'll be happy to remove the link if he is an internet wrong'un.

He’s just a videogames law Twitter clickbait muppet.

11 hours ago, layten said:

ah, so I guess with him and Schreier a case of 'let them fight'. :lol: 

At least Hoeg is actually a qualified professional.  Whenever I've heard him talk on the Sacred Symbols or Defining Duke podcasts, I've found him to be quite careful to provide balance against the backdrop of legal knowledge, rather than try and be at all clickbaity.

He's actually been talking a lot about how the deal is not a foregone conclusion, and what risks there may be to it going through, albeit that on the balance of probabilities it is highly likely it will. 

Schreier is simply wrong to read the share price as 'the market thinks this deal will fail'.

• 1 month later...

Hats off to them. That's a great move and hopefully it will help spearhead a step change for the entire industry. Amazing how times have changed, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't MS used to run like a Hunger Games for employees, where the lowest ranked employees would regularly be booted out the firm? To go from that to this is a huge jump, fair play to them.

44 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Hats off to them. That's a great move and hopefully it will help spearhead a step change for the entire industry. Amazing how times have changed, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't MS used to run like a Hunger Games for employees, where the lowest ranked employees would regularly be booted out the firm? To go from that to this is a huge jump, fair play to them.

They were recently voted the best company in the world to work for.

https://tech.co/news/microsoft-worlds-best-company-work-for-report

And whilst pay isn't everything, they recently announced massive above-inflation pay rises across the board:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-16/microsoft-to-boost-salaries-to-keep-workers-cope-with-inflation

Microsoft Corp. plans to “nearly double” its budget for employee salary increases and boost the range of stock compensation it gives some workers by at least 25%, an effort to retain staff and help people cope with inflation.

The move will mainly affect “early to mid-career employees,” the software giant said in a statement Monday.

“As we approach our annual total rewards process, we are making a significant additional investment this year to compensate our employees globally,” the Redmond, Washington-based company said. “While we have factored in the impact of inflation and rising cost of living, these changes also recognize our appreciation to our world-class talent who support our mission, culture and customers, and partners.”

“Time and time again, we see that our talent is in high demand because of the amazing work that you do,” Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella said in a memo that was obtained by Bloomberg. 

Microsoft’s salary package is composed of base salary, bonus and stock. The changes will apply to a substantial part of the company’s workforce, which stood at 181,000 as of June 30, 2021.

Seems like a decent place to work.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2022 at 20:11, layten said:

I'll take it over Schreier again whipping up the console warriors to drive clicks to his pay masters.

Everybody's favorite video game analyst doesn't think there will be an issue.

image.png.a9bb763cb1db3915815208e946414863.png

I didn’t have an opinion before but I now believe, based on this, that there’s around a 90% chance the acquisition will fail. 

Microsoft’s response to Sony’s statement made me laugh.

“There is nothing unique about the video games developed and published by Activision Blizzard…” the filing wrote.”

• 3 weeks later...

I, like most people, have no idea how strict the Saudi Arabian competition are so can't say if Microsoft clearing this bar is significant but at the very least we are now going to start seeing more authorities yaying or naying this deal. 

I'm saying I don't know much about that group, nothing more. I'm sure the Poundland Pachters who instantly become experts on Organic Yak farming in Mongolia because it got mentioned on page 87, Subsection 5, Paragraph 11 of Ubisofts latest financials are now extremely well versed in the Saudi Arabian Competition Authority but I'm not and I'm not going to claim otherwise. 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...