IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but...

I believe that Microsoft already owned a big chunk of AB so they had to do something either way. They chose to acquire and redeem or nuke, rather than cut and run. Perhaps no-one wanted their chunk so selling wasn't an option.

9 minutes ago, tronied said:

I imagine they'd really struggle to get this one past the competition and mergers commission (or whatever they're called). Microsoft can't just hoover up the entire gaming industry as I'm sure there are rules in place to stop this happening. What with Microsoft's own gaming studios, Bethesda and now Activision, surely this accounts for a sizeable chunk of the gaming industry. I imagine eyebrows will be raised and potentially a hammer might come down on the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

If they are indeed only third in revenue in the market (as mentioned), I doubt the M&M commission will care, because that clearly isn't a monopoly. 

Staggering news though, not something I would have ever seen happening. From Sony's perspective, does it really change much? So they might lose CoD but that's been in decline for a long time and this deal still doesn't bring much competition to the area they excel in - 3rd person action adventures.

Perhaps this is why Bobby's been clinging to his position against all reason; presumably he cashes out with even more obscene wealth this way.

Anyway, this is gross. Perhaps it works out for current Activision-Blizzard studios in the short-term – evidently they need to clean house and a lot of talented developers are being squandered on the CoD machine – but it's hard to imagine how this could possibly be healthy for the industry and consumers when all's said and done.

I've been browsing Google image search for some quality shitpost Xbox vs PlayStation gifs (as you do), and of course every single one is one of Xbox being shat on. The internet needs new memes now :lol:

1 minute ago, Camel said:

This means we’ll get a H.E.R.O sequel on Xbox, right?

I'd be perfectly happy with the original to be honest. I love that game. Switch port too pls.

1 minute ago, Camel said:

This means we’ll get a H.E.R.O sequel on Xbox, right?

11 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I look forward to nextgen versions of H.E.R.O. and Pitfall!

Only if we get a c64 port

I havent followed mainline CoD entries for years and was just googling to see if it was still popular - did they really remake/reboot/rework COD Modern Warfare in 2019? Was it any good? comparable to the original?

Will playstation get the next CoD mainline game this year? whatever it is. Depends when deal closes I guess?

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It puts Sony in a position not unlike Nintendo’s: they’re going to have to come up with a distinct product for an asymmetrical fight for a share of the pie. They’ve been waving that flag for a while in PR but they really do need to walk the walk now.

1CC81A1C-2775-456C-9EDD-E0A38A41E49B.gif.c959f7961b088391f20cb5c544481fb4.gif

At this point I'm fully expecting a Disney (or maybe Apple?) to come out of the woodwork and snap up Sony. Unless they indeed want to go down the Nintendo path, which they don't have the audience for imo.

That's fucking wild news.

On one hand, as long as they clear out of deadwood of sex pests, there's some great games to be had now and in the future.

On the other, as other people have said, this is kinda towing the line of monopolising the games industry when it's a purchase of this size. Bethesda was already a large organisation to just slot into the XBox Game Studios umbrella.

That and, well, there's not a lot I'm personally looking forward to. I'm not bothered about CoD and WoW, and pretty much all the interesting studios like Vicarious Visions ended up being folded into development teams that are currently in development hell (like Diablo IV and Overwatch 2).

Still, at least I'll be able to play Diablo 2 Remastered guilt-free when it ends up on Game Pass.

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Will playstation get the next CoD mainline game this year? whatever it is.

Assuming the deal is the same as Bethesda, then I imagine they'll need to honour any existing deals and then most stuff will become exclusive. CoD being an Xbox exclusive would be a pretty massive incentive for a lot of people, so I can't see it not happening.

20 minutes ago, tronied said:

I imagine they'd really struggle to get this one past the competition and mergers commission (or whatever they're called). Microsoft can't just hoover up the entire gaming industry as I'm sure there are rules in place to stop this happening. What with Microsoft's own gaming studios, Bethesda and now Activision, surely this accounts for a sizeable chunk of the gaming industry. I imagine eyebrows will be raised and potentially a hammer might come down on the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

Microsoft are third in the market so this won't get blocked.

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Staggering news though, not something I would have ever seen happening. From Sony's perspective, does it really change much? So they might lose CoD but that's been in decline for a long time and this deal still doesn't bring much competition to the area they excel in - 3rd person action adventures.

The latest Vanguard update has issues but I certainly wouldnt call Warzone 'in decline'. It might not have much of a prescence on this forum but it is massive. Like top 3 games for the past two years in terms of concurrent players massive.

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Also now Microsoft are the owners of Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawks, which is a weird thing to think about.

Crash is possibly the biggest kid friendly property they own now right? 

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Also this does kind of emphasise how cheap they got Minecraft more than anything. If it had blown up in the 2020s with the hot market it'd have a valuation almost twice what it did, like Roblox.

That's making them 1.7billion a year at the moment. Lot of cash.