Jump to content

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...


MidWalian
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm saying I don't know much about that group, nothing more. I'm sure the Poundland Pachters who instantly become experts on Organic Yak farming in Mongolia because it got mentioned on page 87, Subsection 5, Paragraph 11 of Ubisofts latest financials are now extremely well versed in the Saudi Arabian Competition Authority but I'm not and I'm not going to claim otherwise. 

 

I wasn't sure if you were joking but you can take a wild stab at it, I promise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brazil have approved this deal now which has led to a few impartial commentators saying the US, UK and EU should all be more efficient and stop dragging their heels over giving it the green light. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bear said:

Brazil have approved this deal now which has led to a few impartial commentators saying the US, UK and EU should all be more efficient and stop dragging their heels over giving it the green light. 


#GenuineConcerns

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bear said:

Brazil have approved this deal now which has led to a few impartial commentators saying the US, UK and EU should all be more efficient and stop dragging their heels over giving it the green light. 

 

I am sure the regulators will take far more notice of Brazil from now on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...

At this point, we're just moments away from Kaz coming back on stage, hitting "The Button" to make every PS5 unfold and show the souped up PS3 hidden within, while maddeningly screaming "599 DOLLARS, 599 DOLLARS, 599 DOLLARS!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Sony really are taking the piss here seeing as they have loads of CoD exclusive stuff.

And their business model is based on exclusives... I mean do Sony actually have any studios themselves anymore (rather than just acquisitions)? Looking through the list only Polyphony came out from Sony - every major AAA game they have released has been developed by an acquired 3rd party.

 

I mean MS are just doing exactly what Sony have done in the past and continue to do.  Hell both MS and Sony bought their way into the gaming console business when they entered. Why don't they instead of complaining develop a FPS game to compete with CoD if its that important to them? Resurrect Killzone and make a new one of those perhaps.. or just make the next version of Destiny exclusive to PlayStation or something (didn't Sony just acquire Bungie?).

 

Sounds like the market leader is getting shaky about a little competition.. :D Personally not really fussed as I don't really play any of the blizzard content. Interesting to see how this develops and what impact it might have. I expect if CoD becomes exclusive PS owners will just pick up a Xbox too if they care that much about the game.

 

In the end I don't think CoD games and blizzard content will be fully exclusive to Xbox - MS aren't stupid - look at Minecraft. I guess there maybe some Xbox platform exclusive content. Sony could always allow a GamePass app onto the PlayStation... :D 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think any of this is all that remarkable, that Sony say this and MS say that. It's just exactly what you'd expect from this sort of thing. You'd read the same when BT bought EE, or O2 and Virgin Media merged or whatever. Lawyers lawyering. It's just because it interests us and layte loves format wars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Sounds like the market leader is getting shaky about a little competition..

Yeah. It benefits us all if they're slugging it out equally. I don't know if MS are content to be a distant second (3rd?) in hardware/software, unless it's doing enough to buoy the brand in general. This consolidation is absolutely happening whether we like it or not, so I suppose if it keeps a bit of parity between the big players, so be it.

 

Is Destiny going to remain on Xbox?

 

edit - lawyers lawyering is a better description, but I do prefer decent competition either way. Come on, we wouldn't have half this new stuff if Sony hadn't clobbered the XB1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

edit - lawyers lawyering is a better description, but I do prefer decent competition either way. Come on, we wouldn't have half this new stuff if Sony hadn't clobbered the XB1.

Absolutely. Game Pass and the Series consoles. :D Win for me right there. 

 

Not sure about Destiny TBH. Not really sure how Sony handle multiplat games they own.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How would a soldier in the Console War go about arguing that having exclusive CoD doesn’t dominate in the way Sony says it does but simultaneously claim that having exclusive CoD will crush and decimate Sony back into the Walkman era? Must be wrecking their heads.

 

Also, how long has Bungie been Sony? The least they could do is create a shitty co-logo for when we boot Destiny up on the Xbox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yeah. It benefits us all if they're slugging it out equally. I don't know if MS are content to be a distant second (3rd?) in hardware/software, unless it's doing enough to buoy the brand in general. This consolidation is absolutely happening whether we like it or not, so I suppose if it keeps a bit of parity between the big players, so be it.

 

Is Destiny going to remain on Xbox?

 

edit - lawyers lawyering is a better description, but I do prefer decent competition either way. Come on, we wouldn't have half this new stuff if Sony hadn't clobbered the XB1.

Aye, even the best Sony can come up with is that they would face increased competition. Surely a good thing for the consumer. The various market authorities around the world should not be looking to protect the position of the market leader as has been pointed out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/10/2022 at 02:26, MattyP said:

And their business model is based on exclusives... I mean do Sony actually have any studios themselves anymore (rather than just acquisitions)? Looking through the list only Polyphony came out from Sony - every major AAA game they have released has been developed by an acquired 3rd party.

 

I mean MS are just doing exactly what Sony have done in the past and continue to do.  Hell both MS and Sony bought their way into the gaming console business when they entered. Why don't they instead of complaining develop a FPS game to compete with CoD if its that important to them? Resurrect Killzone and make a new one of those perhaps.. or just make the next version of Destiny exclusive to PlayStation or something (didn't Sony just acquire Bungie?).

 

Sounds like the market leader is getting shaky about a little competition.. :D Personally not really fussed as I don't really play any of the blizzard content. Interesting to see how this develops and what impact it might have. I expect if CoD becomes exclusive PS owners will just pick up a Xbox too if they care that much about the game.

 

In the end I don't think CoD games and blizzard content will be fully exclusive to Xbox - MS aren't stupid - look at Minecraft. I guess there maybe some Xbox platform exclusive content. Sony could always allow a GamePass app onto the PlayStation... :D 

 

 

I was reminded of this yesterday when I was watching a video about the original release of Final Fantasy 7, something which rocked Nintendo and Nintendo fans to their core.

 

Sony have had experience on the winning end of this, they've had 25 years to prepare for this eventuality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't believe Sony think they are going to get any of these concessions they claim to want and all they are doing is delaying the deal for as long as possible which makes perfect sense for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, bear said:

I don't believe Sony think they are going to get any of these concessions they claim to want and all they are doing is delaying the deal for as long as possible which makes perfect sense for them. 

 

I don't think it's delaying tactics - a few months here or there are nothing in the big picture. I think they're trying to make as much noise as possible in pursuit of extracting as long a commitment to keeping COD multiplatform as they can. That's really the goal of all this, unless they really think they can get the acquisition blocked (seems unlikely) - forcing MS to commit to COD releases and feature parity for as long as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.