IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

The latest Vanguard update has issues but I certainly wouldnt call Warzone 'in decline'. It might not have much of a prescence on this forum but it is massive. Like top 3 games for the past two years in terms of concurrent players massive.

Yep. Just watch how massive CoD is when they drop the next Modern Warfare.

32 minutes ago, Clipper said:

EDIT - actual serious question. Activision publish Destiny does that mean they "control" Bungie in any way or is that relationship purely Activision publish Bungie games on a game by gfame basis and Bungie can be published by whoever they want?

Bungie split from Activision back in 2019. They are now their own entity; developer and publisher. Destiny is completely unaffected by this.

Just now, Benny said:

I've been browsing Google image search for some quality shitpost Xbox vs PlayStation gifs (as you do), and of course every single one is one of Xbox being shat on. The internet needs new memes now :lol:

Sony haven't been shat on ... yet. I have to wonder if this takeover has been on the cards for a while, it would explain Sony going all in on the VR angle to differentiate themselves (the PSVR2 specs surprised me). But this does essentially turn them into another Nintendo. Nintendo fell behind (and are still hilariously way behind) in terms of tech compared to Sony and MS, but I'm fearing Sony going the same way here.

Anyone thinking CoD will stay multiplatform is deluding themselves though. Any contracts presently in place will be honoured (just like Bethesda's Deathloop being exclusive to Sony for a bit), and then CoD will be on Xbox and PC only. I bet MS are rubbing their fucking hands right now: "You wanna play CoD? Buy an Xbox!"  That's how it will be.

1 minute ago, Simmy said:

I keep seeing "when the deal closes" - what is the timescale for something like that, anyone know? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

depends - the Bethesda deal signed spetember 2020 and closed in 2021 (cant recall date)

Zynga bought by Take Two in january and will take 6 months to close.

Could be anythign upto a year.

7 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Assuming the deal is the same as Bethesda, then I imagine they'll need to honour any existing deals and then most stuff will become exclusive. CoD being an Xbox exclusive would be a pretty massive incentive for a lot of people, so I can't see it not happening.

And people wonder why Overwatch 2 got "delayed". ;)

2 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Damn, was hoping for some Activision Game Pass bangers this week but fair enough.

with Bethesda some were added to gamepass in March and the rest in June - I thought some were added while deal was being sorted but looks like I am wrong

Blimey. That is quite a move.

I don’t generally subscribe to the tribal thing as I’ve usually had and very much enjoyed both consoles, but I think “buying COD and WOW” is a bit of a statement Sony won’t be able to ignore.

Challenge of reacting to this news, whilst it may be a little hilarious, without pushing it through the prism of what Sony are doing lads. However, we know so many casuals who only play CoD and CoD only now without a console to play it on if they went all in on PS5s.

There’s also no way GP is going to cost £30 a year at this rate.

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I keep seeing "when the deal closes" - what is the timescale for something like that, anyone know? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

June 2023. Official email from Bobby Kottick confirmed this. 

Yup. That's a long while away. So CoD will still be on PlayStation a while no doubt. 

Edit - I thought we were in 2021 lol.  So a year and a half basically until the deal closes.

Just now, p1nseeker said:

I just can't believe they will make COD Xbox console exclusive. It just makes too much money on PlayStation to pass up surely? It'll probably on gamepass and get DLC early etc

The amount it makes on PlayStation pales in comparison to what CoD mobile and Candy Crush make on mobile btw. 

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

No that's Minecraft by a mile, Crash is the only one nostalgic types care about though.

I really should have an added an "inactive" disclaimer to that question. 

The lack of first party kid-friendly games is probably the biggest criticism you could make of GamePass as a value proposition at this point. I'm not advocating for a new Crash Bandicoot or Spyro but the teams behind the recent remasters and Crash 4 seem like the best option available to Microsoft now if they want to build up their version of a Ratchet & Clank. 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So. What games can we look forward to here, on Game Pass? I know they have COD but what else? 

Overwatch, DIablo II and III, Blizzard Arcade, Crash Nitro Kart, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Spyro off the top of my head.

EDIT: and THPS

18 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Only if we get a c64 port

Nah, Atari 2600 version is still the best. There’s a slightly tweaked C64 version of HERO used for high score competitions that they could include as a bonus though.

Just now, bear said:

I really should have an added an "inactive" disclaimer to that question. 

The lack of first party kid-friendly games is probably the biggest criticism you could make of GamePass as a value proposition at this point. I'm not advocating for a new Crash Bandicoot or Spyro but the teams behind the recent remasters and Crash 4 seem like the best option available to Microsoft now if they want to build up their version of a Ratchet & Clank. 

I agree, I think studios like Toys For Bob that Activision have kind of let wither are probably more significant than Microsoft wracking up yet another shooter franchise.

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The latest Vanguard update has issues but I certainly wouldnt call Warzone 'in decline'. It might not have much of a prescence on this forum but it is massive. Like top 3 games for the past two years in terms of concurrent players massive.

I meant the retail releases, not Warzone. 

6 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I just can't believe they will make COD Xbox console exclusive. It just makes too much money on PlayStation to pass up surely? It'll probably on gamepass and get DLC early etc

Can someone check the gramophone? It seems the Bethesda record keeps skipping.