IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

Joking aside, Microsoft now have a LOT of FPS developers under their wings. 343, iD, Machinegames, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, Arkane. Apart from Respawn, DICE and Bungie, that's pretty much all the major ones (assuming Valve don't make any games in the near future). That's quite a lot of guns bobbing around in the bottom right of the screen and quite a lot of people churning out stuff to feed the content beast. I wonder whether there's going to be any consolidation or changes in direction, especially given that 343 and the CoD studios are apparently huge revolving doors of contractors.

No denying this is big news, but on a personal level it means absolutely nothing to me. I haven’t played an Activision game in the last two decades at least. I gathered from recent controversies that we weren’t supposed to anyway…

Just now, K said:

Joking aside, Microsoft now have a LOT of FPS developers under their wings. 343, iD, Machinegames, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, Arkane. Apart from Respawn and Bungie, that's pretty much all the major ones (assuming Valve don't make any games in the near future). That's quite a lot of guns bobbing around in the bottom right of the screen and quite a lot of people churning out stuff to feed the content beast. I wonder whether there's going to be any consolidation or changes in direction, especially given that 343 and the CoD studios are apparently huge revolving doors of contractors.

Perfect Dark too. Bit weird overall considering FPS as a genre feels like it's peaked and is declining in popularity a bit, but I think the strategy has been to go for areas where Sony are weak rather than where they're strong - they still have an unmatched slate in the cinematic third person actioner genre, and Microsoft increasingly has every other genre, right down to obscure ones like Flight Simulators.

4 minutes ago, K said:

Joking aside, Microsoft now have a LOT of FPS developers under their wings. 343, iD, Machinegames, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, Arkane. Apart from Respawn and Bungie, that's pretty much all the major ones (assuming Valve don't make any games in the near future). That's quite a lot of guns bobbing around in the bottom right of the screen and quite a lot of people churning out stuff to feed the content beast. I wonder whether there's going to be any consolidation or changes in direction, especially given that 343 and the CoD studios are apparently huge revolving doors of contractors.

Time for that 1st person Pitfall reboot.

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Perfect Dark too. Bit weird overall considering FPS as a genre feels like it's peaked and is declining in popularity a bit, but I think the strategy has been to go for areas where Sony are weak rather than where they're strong - they still have an unmatched slate in the cinematic third person actioner genre, and Microsoft increasingly has every other genre, right down to obscure ones like Flight Simulators.

For what little it's worth I don't think Perfect Dark is going to be a first person game. 

11 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I realise this isn't a serious post, but having a game that has only ever been on your own platform and not going mutliplatform is a very different proposition from taking a mutliplatform game and making it exclusive, for a whole host of reasons.

CoD is also a different beast to anything Bethesda has ever done (not least in terms of having regular output and big revenue) so whether this will be treated differently to Fallout/Starfield etc is to be seen, I guess.

I don't think they're buying Call of Duty to make money off Call of Duty, they're buying it to get people to buy Microsoft consoles rather than Sony ones, and subscribe to Microsoft services and use Bing and Outlook and all the other stuff that's tangled up in the web of Microsoft's empire. I mean, it's going to take a LONG time to recoup that $70bn if they're just going off the revenue that each game makes. The point of acquisitions like this is to make the overall offering more attractive to consumers.

32 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

There’s also no way GP is going to cost £30 a year at this rate.

Officially it doesn't. Everyone getting it cheap are just exploiting a pretty generous "joining bonus".

It costs £132 a year if you pay RRP. I know a lot of people don't pay that right now, but there's only so long before Microsoft have the massive amounts of numbers they need to strip the intro bonuses right down.

1 minute ago, K said:

I don't think they're buying Call of Duty to make money off Call of Duty, they're buying it to get people to buy Microsoft consoles rather than Sony ones, and subscribe to Microsoft services and use Bing and Outlook and all the other stuff that's tangled up in the web of Microsoft's empire. I mean, it's going to take a LONG time to recoup that $70bn if they're just going off the revenue that each game makes. The point of acquisitions like this is to make the overall offering more attractive to consumers.

They are going to recoup most of the money through King I imagine.

Candy Crush is still an absolute money printing machine.

1 minute ago, T Pot said:

Officially it doesn't. Everyone getting it cheap are just exploiting a pretty generous "joining bonus".

It costs £132 a year if you pay RRP. I know a lot of people don't pay that right now, but there's only so long before Microsoft have the massive amounts of numbers they need to strip the intro bonuses right down.

yeah depends how much they are losing with this loophole. Eventually we’ll be unable to stack and we will all have to pay the full price. But if they keep adding and adding IP then full price will be acceptable or people will have to make choices (see you later Apple Arcade subscription).

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They are going to recoup most of the money through King I imagine.

Candy Crush is still an absolute money printing machine.

Fock.

Here's to 10 more years of Candy Crush being pre-installed on Windows.

3 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So, Kotick is staying?!

That's just shit!

If he does stay post-deal then it makes a mockery of Phil Spencer and MS making disapproving noises about the culture at Activision-Blizzard.

It'll be interesting to see the kind of low-key, indie games Kotick will be able to create once he's free of the corporate structure at Activision.