Jump to content
IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .


MidWalian
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What Marvel gaming IP though? They haven't done an awful lot in gaming despite the wealth of opportunities. 

Er ... Spider-man, which Sony already own and are never letting go of. They're also making a Sony exclusive Wolverine game. Buying Square Enix would bring in the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy licences as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kensei said:

At that money, why didn't they go after Nintendo? That would gives gives types of games they don't have, rather more of those that do. Competition concerns?

 

If it was, surely Capcom / Atlus / Konami / Square would have been a better bet?

 

They tried to buy Nintendo before ages ago and got laughed at. Seeing as the Switch has matched Wii sales I can't imagine that changing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kensei said:

At that money, why didn't they go after Nintendo? That would gives gives types of games they don't have, rather more of those that do. Competition concerns?

 

If it was, surely Capcom / Atlus / Konami / Square would have been a better bet?

They still can, its only Tuesday afterall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Just hope they buy Sega and we can finally get Outrun 2 Coast to Coast back online.

 

I'm surprised that MS or Sony haven't just bought SEGA, Capcom or Konami already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DeciderVT said:

 

I'm surprised that MS or Sony haven't just bought SEGA, Capcom or Konami already.


I can understand the first two but I don’t see why Microsoft would want to get in to the gym business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

Cod: Mobile is nearly a billion a year, I think. Plus Hearthstone certainly used to do those numbers and that's on mobile too, so it could work out that way, seems pretty close though.


That’s what I mean - it seems fairly balanced, rather than one dwarfing the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Errr licenses don't work that way. Squeenix doesn't own Avengers or GotG just because they made games based on that ip. They're licensed games. And most reports think the deal Squeenix had with Marvel is now done anyway.

 

You clearly don't know how NFTs work. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm surprised that MS or Sony haven't just bought SEGA, Capcom or Konami already.

 

SEGA are a financially fucked company riddled by organised crime and getting into casinos, we really gotta stop the "good idea because nostalgia" posting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er ... Spider-man, which Sony already own and are never letting go of. They're also making a Sony exclusive Wolverine game. Buying Square Enix would bring in the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy licences as well.

 

Sony own the rights to Spider-man on film. They bought the rights to make A series of Spider-man games, not a blanket ownership of the character. Same as Disney switched to a Warhammer model where they're letting lots of studios make competing Star Wars games instead of one publisher having exclusive rights. It's the same with Marvel. It's not like Square own the rights to Marvel properties in perpetuity either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

 

I'm surprised that MS or Sony haven't just bought SEGA, Capcom or Konami already.

 

I think the only reason they didn't buy Sega was because they know the current studios under sega are shite. 

 

They can't even do Monkeyball remaster right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harsin said:

Sony own the rights to Spider-man on film. They bought the rights to make A series of Spider-man games, not a blanket ownership of the character. Same as they switched to a Warhammer model where they're letting lots of studios make competing Star Wars games instead of one publisher having exclusive rights.

 

Yeah, I don't understand the idea of buying a studio to get access to licenses which are just going to expire in the years it'll take you to get a game developed anyway, especially as Disney are handing them out to everyone.

 

If anything you'd think the acqusition would be the other way around in that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

They could have bought Ferrari and Sega for less than Activision Blizzard, which is mildly amusing.

 

Bah, the last good game Ferrari did was 'Sam Fox Strip Poker' in the 80s, and the replayability on that particular slice of Spectrum goodness was pretty much zero after we got a look at those explicit pixels.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hah it’s the yellow ticker on Sky News at the moment, pushing out all the current affairs dramas. Thing is we can Fantasy Football buy a bunch of possible games companies on behalf of Sony, won’t be as big as buying the makers of Candy Crush

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Sony own the rights to Spider-man on film. They bought the rights to make A series of Spider-man games, not a blanket ownership of the character. Same as they switched to a Warhammer model where they're letting lots of studios make competing Star Wars games instead of one publisher having exclusive rights.

Oooh, I actually thought it was that.

 

Okay, so they have that licence, my suggestion of buying Square Enix still stands if they have the presently have the licences for Avengers and GotG (maybe they don't any more, as was suggested) - they'd have Eidos development studios to bring in and work on Marvel games for the Sony platform. Wouldn't be as big as CoD, but it would be something. However, the more I think about it, the more I think Marvel wouldn't go for it, preferring their games to be on as many platforms as possible. 

 

Also this:

5 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Thing is we can Fantasy Football buy a bunch of possible games companies on behalf of Sony, won’t be as big as buying the makers of Candy Crush

Too true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

SEGA are a financially fucked company riddled by organised crime and getting into casinos, we really gotta stop the "good idea because nostalgia" posting.

 

I'd been under the impression that they were a profitable company and checked figures but I see that the pandemic has not been kind. Nothing to do with nostalgia and everything to do with those companies having potentially valuable IP that is being mismanaged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


I don’t think there’s anything to stop Activision deciding that they’re going to go Game Pass tomorrow. If the Microsoft deal falls through, what’s the worst that happens?


They make considerably less money regardless if it completes or not. Though you might argue that the announcement will slow down their software sales somewhat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Okay, so they have that licence, my suggestion of buying Square Enix still stands if they have the presently have the licences for Avengers and GotG (maybe they don't any more, as was suggested) - they'd have Eidos development studios to bring in and work on Marvel games for the Sony platform. Wouldn't be as big as CoD, but it would be something. However, the more I think about it, the more I think Marvel wouldn't go for it, preferring their games to be on as many platforms as possible. 

Sony wouldn't want Tomb Raider though with them already having Uncharted.

Sony will wait for MS to buy SQEX Western studios then swoop in for the Japanese side of the company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er ... Spider-man, which Sony already own and are never letting go of. They're also making a Sony exclusive Wolverine game. Buying Square Enix would bring in the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy licences as well.

As has been answered, Sony don't own Spider-Man games, just the current license.

 

Besides which, my point was more that Marvel don't really leverage their properties on the gaming side anywhere near as much you would expect, they are few and far between. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

SEGA are a financially fucked company riddled by organised crime and getting into casinos, we really gotta stop the "good idea because nostalgia" posting.

I think you are mixing up Sega and Konami here based on the organised crime reference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

 

that looks more like Robocop Vs Terminator, but I loved that as well so I'll give it a bash.

 

Absolutely, it's a lot like that, but even better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.