IGNORED

Games you're embarrassed by

JamesC

Has anyone ever been embarrassed by a game they're playing, or made a strategic decision not to play it on front of certain people?

I'm generally not a very embarrassable person but I remember when I was brefly staying at my parents place while waiting for my house purchase to complete and I'd just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles for the WiiU. I put it on and played it for a bit but soon became embarrassed by one of the female characters. I can't remember much about the game (I ended up getting rid of it) but the infantalised and sexualised female character was somehting I just couldn't have on the screen with the prospect of my dad walking in at any moment. I cringed and turned it off pretty sharpish.

Another example - I've just started playing Days Gone and at the moment I had to batter a zombie child with a plank of wood I started to get a bit uncomfortable. Not long after, I had to kill a woman using a baseball bat with nails in it. I can now never play this game in front of my girlfriend. She's fairly ambivalent towards games but I know she would be appalled at this type of violence and I'm pretty dubious about it myself. It's a fun game and I'll keep playing it but it's certainly not something I'd use as an example of how wholesome my hobby is.

4 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

he was a massive arshole to be fair

True.

It's a hell of a thing for someone to glance up and see if they're not familiar with how insanely violent games can be though.

7 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

Yakuza. I love the games, but some of the side quests are definitely not for when the missus is on the sofa.

Likewise. My wife has zero interest in games but is always fascinated by the fact that I play Japanese games (with Japanese voiceovers) - I make sure that Yakuza is a laptop only job - no big TV Yakuza for me 😄

11 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Another example - I've just started playing Days Gone and at the moment I had to batter a zombie child with a plank of wood I started to get a bit uncomfortable. Not long after, I had to kill a woman using a baseball bat with nails in it. I can now never play this game in front of my girlfriend. She's fairly ambivalent towards games but I know she would be appalled at this type of violence and I'm pretty dubious about it myself. It's a fun game and I'll keep playing it but it's certainly not something I'd use as an example of how wholesome my hobby is.

I justify this to my wife (and myself I guess) by saying 'it's only zombies right?' but Days Gone is a violent game, no doubt about it. Is it any different to watching a horror movie though? It's escapist entertainment - who would really want to be stuck in a post-apocalyptic zombie nightmare?

I kind of die inside if I end up having to explain my dumb high school JRPGs to non-gamers, yeah. Although the framing is probably the least interesting part of Persona, and they could easily do the same gameplay but with young adults in actual jobs and oh wait they already did.

Although I think @bradigor wins with Demon Gaze - seems like a pretty solid dungeon crawl right up until the full screen storyboarded knickers shot during exposition.

4 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I kind of die inside if I end up having to explain my dumb high school JRPGs to non-gamers, yeah. Although the framing is probably the least interesting part of Persona, and they could easily do the same gameplay but with young adults in actual jobs and oh wait they already did.

Although I think @bradigor wins with Demon Gaze - seems like a pretty solid dungeon crawl right up until the full screen storyboarded knickers shot during exposition.

I could have gone with Monster Monpiece, but I only played that for review. Brilliant game... questionable aesthetics, to say the least. Oh and a specific mechanic that I swear put me on a register of some sort.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Bayonetta. 

See I was going to say this and maybe the first one is too overt in its sexualisation, but the second one does a better job of letting you know it's supposed to be an empowering thing than a objectification thing. Well as I saw it. The crotch shots in the first one were thoroughly unnecessary.

JRPGs, especially Anime ones. 

I don't play them anymore (and didn't play many) but when I did I wouldn't dare in front of a partner. 

Saying that I did play a bit of Final Fantasy 7 remake and my other half commented on how shocking the voice acting and writing is. And she never ever has had a word to say about games. 

Although I'm not embarrassed by it, my partner does seem to look down on me when my mates and I play American Truck Simulator together.

To us, it's about smashing each other off the road at high speed, interspersed with relaxed downtime where we can just chat to each other with little distraction, which is ideal given we can't easily meet up these days. 

To her, it's sad old men pretending to be truck drivers.

I don't think either of us are entirely wrong, but at least I console myself with pretending to be a very bad truck driver.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

See I was going to say this and maybe the first one is too overt in its sexualisation, but the second one does a better job of letting you know it's supposed to be an empowering thing than a objectification thing. Well as I saw it. The crotch shots in the first one were thoroughly unnecessary.

I got banned from Miiverse for posting screenshots of the penises in the game.

Yakuza at least if someone is watching you can just avoid the pervy bits, generally the main story is fine.

For me it was God of War - not the latest one, pre-reboot. I loved the gameplay but the ultraviolence was off the charts. Like punching some guys head until it wasn't there anymore 😱 And then the sex scenes...

And then there's stuff like Gal Gun, which is probably enough to put you on a register.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Well that's your own bloody stupid fault.

Oh I know. I think I was making a point about something. It wasn't important.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Oh I know. I think I was making a point about something. It wasn't important.

If I'm honest I'd forgotten about them. They weren't the thing that stood out. Which probably says more about me than the game tbf.

9 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Yakuza at least if someone is watching you can just avoid the pervy bits, generally the main story is fine.

You can get caught out fairly easily in apparently unrelated areas though. I thought the Pleasure King challenge in Y0 was going to be another arcade battle. I had to make my excuses and turn the game off when it became clear that it was going to be in the telephone club.

35 minutes ago, K said:

I like Cave’s shooters, and initially enjoyed Deathsmiles, but fairly rapidly became uncomfortable with the main characters being 13 year old girls with massive boobs who wear fetish costumes and stopped playing it. It felt like the kind of game that was either made by or aimed at pederasts; the aesthetic was pretty revolting, and I would feel deeply embarrassed at having to explain to someone why I was playing it. 

Surely it would have been 13 yr old boys in fetish gear if that was the case?

Killer is Dead and it’s daft “gigolo” minigame. I think I did the first one just to know, and then opted out until the game was complete. It’s not even successful at being sexy - it’s dumb and comical… but maybe that’s the point. :P 

Also, I never played the Witcher games, but the whole idea of gamifying your conquests seems a bit much.

1 hour ago, JamesC said:

Another example - I've just started playing Days Gone and at the moment I had to batter a zombie child with a plank of wood I started to get a bit uncomfortable. 

That is literally where I stopped playing. I was just "nope".

53 minutes ago, K said:

I like Cave’s shooters, and initially enjoyed Deathsmiles, but fairly rapidly became uncomfortable with the main characters being 13 year old girls with massive boobs who wear fetish costumes and stopped playing it. It felt like the kind of game that was either made by or aimed at pederasts; the aesthetic was pretty revolting, and I would feel deeply embarrassed at having to explain to someone why I was playing it. 

I quite like that sort of goth look on adult men or women but not with overly young women and children. Deathsmiles is a complete non-starter for me and there was a time when I thought I'd never be able to play a JRPG again given some of the visual choices. There was a demo of some weird survival/dungeon crawler game on the PS4 which involved some sort of survival on an island full of deserted buildings with a party made up of teens and young adults. In the second act some of the protagonists died and came back as younger versions of themselves. I might have been unfair to it but I just noped at that point.

Games set in normal schools give me the creeps as well. Apart from Skool Daze.

48 minutes ago, K said:

It felt like the kind of game that was either made by or aimed at pederasts; the aesthetic was pretty revolting, and I would feel deeply embarrassed at having to explain to someone why I was playing it. 

11 minutes ago, robdood said:

Surely it would have been 13 yr old boys in fetish gear if that was the case?

Pederasts are just as likely to be attracted to girls as they are to boys. I think most of us think of them abusing only boys is down to a litany of reasons. (The recent revelations of widespread abuse of boys in various churches, crimes against women and girls being downplayed, the sexualisation of girls in both eastern and western culture.)