IGNORED

Video game boxes...

Luseth

I saw on ebay the other day a listing for the cardboard box and manual for pokemon crystal, at the time it was at around £80 with 2 days to go and I thought I would watch it to see what it sold for as I have a nice mint condition game with the manual & box etc.

Ultimately it went for £155 which is a bit bonkers, I get that people like having lovely mint collections but 20 or so years ago if someone told you that the cardboard box for a game went for that price in the future you would laugh at them.

But I am also curious as to how common it is to buy like the empty boxes and such, has anyone on here spent a fair bit on the empty box for a game or console just to complete it? Was it worth it? Would you do it again? Is it just a one off item that you did it for?

Does anyone else find it a bit mad? I have a fair few unboxed mega drive games and it does not bother me at all that they aren't boxed, they are in safe storage which protects them just as well which would be my only concern with them being unboxed.

I need a box for my N64 Mystical Ninja  2. On the one hand it will drastically increase my game’s price but it means spending close to £200 on a box. I bought a fake of Etsy instead.

Generally I have a weird mentality with carts. I have been picking up Game Boy carts as boxed games are now too expensive but I can’t pick up gba carts loose as all my other games are boxed. I’m weird.

22 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I paid £12 for a neo turf masters manual as my boxed copy was missing it. But yeah, £12 for five sheets of paper and a staple. 

Wasn’t Neo Turf Masters one of the NGPC games that came with four manuals (one each in English, French, German and I think Spanish)?

Check the back of the box.  Multi-language NGPC boxes have multiple manuals.   There is a way to tell if the game should have a pink / orange / yellow warning slip thing in with it too, but I can't remember how, I think it's down to whether it's 1st party or not.  My NGPC collection is in my spare room where my mother in law is currently camped, otherwise I'd go check..

I lost many good GBA and GC boxes to a roof leak. I’m sure Odama would’ve been worth a fortune now because it had the combo of being interesting and unpopular. Don’t want to look.

My Metroid II has always been missing the manuals and I still vaguely ponder spending a fortune to replace those.

It's possible to recreate these boxes now, even for the average person to do so they are identical. Ultimately i don't really see the point of paying loads for a 20 year old box, when a newly produced one will look no different (besides being newer). Humans are very strange in how they put rarity and value into things just because they are old, even if something newer is identical in every way.

9 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It's possible to recreate these boxes now, even for the average person to do so they are identical. Ultimately i don't really see the point of paying loads for a 20 year old box, when a newly produced one will look no different (besides being newer). Humans are very strange in how they put rarity and value into things just because they are old, even if something newer is identical in every way.

It's weird isn't it. I've been using the Analogue Pocket and it's made me start picking up Game Gear games (just two at the moment). I've gone for carts, for no other reason than space now and I know a lot of the boxed stuff I might want is silly money. However, I would never knowingly buy GBA games like this because I already have a bunch of GBA games complete, so anything new would have to be complete to. Stupid eh?

I think the argument about new boxes from collectors is that it dilutes the market and means counterfeits ruin the market. I have a couple of bootleg games and an Etsy produced box for my Goemon but they're not the same as the originals so it's obvious they are fakes.

I'd be annoyed if I spent £200 on a game and it came in a clearly reproduced box.

18 minutes ago, strider said:

It's weird isn't it. I've been using the Analogue Pocket and it's made me start picking up Game Gear games (just two at the moment). I've gone for carts, for no other reason than space now and I know a lot of the boxed stuff I might want is silly money. However, I would never knowingly buy GBA games like this because I already have a bunch of GBA games complete, so anything new would have to be complete to. Stupid eh?

I think the argument about new boxes from collectors is that it dilutes the market and means counterfeits ruin the market. I have a couple of bootleg games and an Etsy produced box for my Goemon but they're not the same as the originals so it's obvious they are fakes.

I'd be annoyed if I spent £200 on a game and it came in a clearly reproduced box.

I don't think that argument is stupid, i never buy cart only, as i like the box and everything else and not just loose carts around the room. But at the same time if i can get the game for cheap, and then get a box and manual made elsewhere for cheap compared to a CiB copy thats a fortune then i'd rather do that. As long as the look and feel is the same to me thats all that matters. I certainly get not wanting to dilute the market with fakes though, but i think thats a slightly different discussion and yeah you don't want to pay a fortune for something that is bootleg in some way, but just making your own repro boxes so you don't pay £150 for a piece of printed cardboard that is in now way special or hard to recreate i certainly think isn't an issue at all.

I don’t think paying daft amounts for old boxes is any sillier than spending daft amounts on old cartridges personally. If you want the original feeling then the box and manual are just as much a part of that as the cartridge. 

Personally speaking I don’t think either are worth paying for. Neither do anything other than line the pockets of speculators. Everdrive and an SD card all the way for me. 

8 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I personally don't have a problem with cart only. However, a boxed copy needs to be in excellent condition. I can't be having a game in a squished or damaged cardboard box.

Yeah agreed and boxed no manual? Get that shit outta here ! 

I think i have Pokemon Crystal cartridge only somewhere...

Anyway, i like to keep my game boxes. A work colleague has an impressive collection of retro games, including all the pokemons and other nintendo stuff. However, he throws all his boxes away! He says it was due to space and the fact he is unlikely to ever sell the games but still.

I used to story my GBA and SNES boxes collapsed, but put them all back together at one point as I was concerned about damage.

A lot of them are from when I was a teen, owning from new, and were used to store the carts in for a while, so of course got wear opening and closing, but even as a teen that annoyed me, so since then I've stored the boxes separately to the carts.

My SNES carts are all stored in wooden boxes I painted up to look a bit like Zelda storage boxes (with liveries on like Moo Moo milk) and the cardboard is in a really useful box under the bed / in a cupboard / attic.  I don't like the aesthetic of shelves of game boxes / books etc, so prefer to hide them a little.  I do like looking at the colours and artwork of the boxes just not as an overwhelming part of a room, and obviously also like playing them on occasion.  Similarly I have old transport trunks with newer disc based games in them.

This gives me good access to the playing, and not so easy, but still possible access to the boxes for all around wins, along with protecting the boxes a bit as I don't really 'use' them.  Of course, I'm also lucky enough to have the space for this.

Buying a box... I sort of understand as it gives the look and feel, but I wouldn't do it.  That said, my retro collection doesn't really grow as I'm put off by retro prices, most was bought 'at the time.'

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Definitely for DVDs. I did that. Saved a load of space.

I don't recall anything for video games, other than @SeanR's filing method.

which cost me almost my entire disc-based collection

Cardboard is where the money’s at, thanks to Everdrives effectively removing game scarcity on original hardware, and Retro YouTubers all standing in front of their big shelves o’games.

The flimsier the packaging, the more it’s worth, as the fewer surviving versions. Boxed Sega 8 & 16 bit games aren’t too rare thanks to the tough cases, while the crappy Nintendo boxes are invaluable. 

Didn’t someone here find a GBC Shantae manual in a box of tat and sell it for £85?

I guess there’s nothing wrong with it, in a way? I mean, I find it bananas, but it doesn’t hurt me at all, and it’s better than an NFT. 

I only really have packaging nostalgia for the PC Big Box era, and love Lazy Game Reviews’ videos on the topic. I’d love a full set of Lucasarts first editions, but not as much as I’d love the best part of £1000 that it would probably cost. 

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

What happened?

I was burgled, and turns out it’s really easy to take 400 games, across nearly 10 systems, if they’re in 4 large disc wallets…

7 hours ago, SeanR said:

I was burgled, and turns out it’s really easy to take 400 games, across nearly 10 systems, if they’re in 4 large disc wallets…

Ah now you mention it I think I remember that happening to you. Shit sucks, man.

I've found that buying game parts separately can be cheaper than buying them complete. I was surprised to see Pokemon Crystal sell for £175 complete, seeing as so many copies were printed, but with carts only going for around £30.

I've had a couple of incomplete games over the years, that I've then been able to complete thanks to grabbing a manual, box or both off ebay or other websites.

Just have to be a bit savvy and make sure not to overpay on ebay as it's full of scalpers and overbidding tactics.

I'm going to move house in the summer and I'll see all my old boxed SFC, N64 etc games in the loft for the first time in more than a decade.

First thing I'll do is take the carts out, break down the cardboard and get it all in the recycling I think.