IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I swear, I’ll start blocking people if this thread also degenerates into a Game Pass is good/bad discussion.

Also, guess they’ve now finally found a studio that would want to touch Killzone again.

See, NOW I'm interested.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

You’d think, but the bungie faq is weirdly explicit. I assume PC/PS5…

I’d actually quite like a full PS5 exclusive - Bungie really going to town optimising for one bit of hardware and one bit only might be quite the thing, and perhaps they’d sort out a content pipeline while they did so.

FAQ:

Q. As a Destiny 2 player, does Bungie becoming part of PlayStation have any immediate impact on how I play and experience Destiny 2?

No. Our commitment to Destiny 2 as a multi-platform game with full Cross Play remains unchanged.   

We want you to play The Witch Queen on February 22, 2022, on the platform of YOUR choice.

Q. Will the Destiny 2 experience on non-PlayStation platforms be impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?

No. We want to maintain the same great experience you already have on your platform of choice.

Q. Will any announced seasons, events, packs, or expansions be changed or impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?

No. Bungie retains full creative independence for our games and our community. Our plans for the Light and Dark Saga are unchanged, all the way through The Final Shape in 2024.

Q. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives?

No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play

Q. Will cross platform features, like Cross Save, Cross Play, the Destiny 2 Companion App, or third-party apps like Destiny Item Manager (DIM) be changed or removed?

No. Bungie’s commitment to cross-platform play and social features remains unchanged. We believe games are best shared with friends, wherever they choose to play, and will continue to invest in new features and platforms.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?

No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

Q. I play Destiny on Steam, Xbox, or Stadia – will my platform still be supported?

Yes.  

2 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Weird. So they're going to keep doing what they're doing, but with more resources and support?

I mean it's free to play, but sure.

Destiny 1 was a masterpiece, destiny 2 not so. And it's not free to play, you need various paid for expansions. 

2 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Weird. So they're going to keep doing what they're doing, but with more resources and support?

I mean it's free to play, but sure.

Destiny 1 was a masterpiece, destiny 2 not so. And it's not free to play, you need various paid for expansions. 

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm curious as to how badly Bungie needed to be bought. To me Destiny 2 only had 2 indicators that it might be on the wane; having to let go of their A tier voice talent and seasons getting longer because they struggle to keep up the content pace. 

I suspect Destiny 2's doing alright, although its clearly not as popular as it was. They've released three expansions with another three planned for the next few years. The last expansion and the next one were delayed, but everything has been delayed over the past couple of years. I suspect part of the problem is that they've ditched the original plan to have new Destiny games every few years, which acted as a kind of on-ramp for new players. As it stands, they seem to have decided to expand Destiny 2 until it's about to burst, at which point they slim it down a bit. Which is fine, up to a point, but means that the game is totally impenetrable to new players - it's a rickety edifice built on five years of updates and expansions and systems layered on systems, so I would hazard a guess that the game's is pretty huge, but is also slowly dwindling as players drop out. It's on the wane, but ultimately it's eight years old, it was never going to live forever.

They will presumably have been working on their next game since Destiny 2 (and probably since Destiny 1 in some sense) and they haven't announced anything beyond the title. Interesting to know whether they're just being secretive or whether the game isn't progressing very smoothly. Probably both, Bungie's working method seems to be to reboot every game a year before release and kill themselves to get something they can release.

3 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Also, guess they’ve now finally found a studio that would want to touch Killzone again.

Man, the odds you wold have got on Sony buying Bungie and the prospect of a good Killzone game.

1 minute ago, K said:

I feel for Nate. Less than an hour after he presses 'send' on the most recent Hit Points, and this happens.

Guess SkillUp is going back to the editing room. “ShillUp the Sony Pony.”

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

They don’t put something like this together in 2 weeks.

You don't say?

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have an impact on what Sony were prepared to offer though.

15 minutes ago, carlospie said:

And it's not free to play, you need various paid for expansions. 

An optional expense to flesh out a pretty threadbare free experience? You've just described pretty much every other F2P game. And that doesn't change the fact that it's listed on every storefront as free to play. Or if you prefer, "Starting from £0.00 depending on how many other expansions and seasons you're interested in." Again - no different to any other F2P title.

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I only ever played Destiny 2, and I thought it was amazing - in terms of gunplay and setting that is. I’m not really interested in that weird style of multiplayer incremental gear wrangling they had going on as a progression system.

I can't see any benefit to this for Sony, screams panic buying. I don't play any FPS though so none of these recent deals mean shit to me - if one of them snaps up Rockstar though I will lose my shit - GTA needs to stay multiplayform!

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So they will remain multiplatform and can self publish - what’s the point in that? 

Might be the first step towards Sony establishing their own PC storefront. That seems like something that will end up happening so maybe the plan is to have the next Bungie game be exclusive to Sony Store on PC or perhaps Bungie already have their own launcher in development to go alongside their new IP? 

Stopping them from going Xbox exclusive has to be worth a lot as well. 

16 minutes ago, layten said:

You don't say?

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have an impact on what Sony were prepared to offer though.

I would be as I imagine that would have been agreed before the Activision news.