IGNORED

Mina the Hollower- December 2023

bear

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-02-shovel-knight-devs-reveal-new-project-mina-the-hollower

The next game from Yacht Club Games, the developer famous for Shovel Knight, has been revealed: a brand-new project known as Mina The Hollower.

In a first for the company, the game has nothing to do with Shovel Knight. Rather, this time players will have the chance to take on the mantle of Mina, an adorable but lethal mouse. Don't let their cute façade fool you though. Yacht Club has promised players a "bone chilling" experience.

On a quest to save a cursed island from the perils that have befallen it, Mina must "leap, dodge, and burrow through the ground" while fighting off monsters with her trusty whip Nightstar or other various trinkets and sidearms. As if this didn't sound compelling enough on its own, the whole game is stylised as an homage to handheld games of the Game Boy Color era, with pixelated foes, a top-down perspective and (something vital for any Game Boy game) a glorious chiptune soundtrack. It's almost as if Castlevania and Link's Awakening had a baby, and that baby was Mina The Hollower.

Heres a link to the Kickstarter if you're interested. 

I'm surprised they are starting a Kickstarter for this although it does seem more like a glorified pre-order campaign than something the games development is depending on. 

Should be a good game to play on the Steam Deck 2 anyway. 

If someone more invested in Shovel Knight and Yacht Clubs output wants to create their own thread for this then feel free. It just seemed a little silly to me having discussion of it buried in an older thread. 

Yup. I love everything about this, but I can't help to put gigantic question marks around the entire Kickstarter thing. Even after reading their explanation for it. Seems to be funded already anyway, so ehr... will get this when it's released.

• 2 weeks later...

This is nailed on, isn’t it? Shovel Knight was a delight. Cant wait to see what Yacht Club do with the Zelda format. No idea why it needs to be a Kickstarter though, surely they‘ve got the funds to get it off the ground by themselves at this point?

• 3 weeks later...