IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto VI in development

Doctor Shark

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Apparently a bear will take a shit in some woods at an unspecified time and date.

There'll be a video on onlyfans for anyone interested. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

To the surprise of probably no one.

Interesting they say 'new entry' and not specifically 'GTA 6'...

Probably time for a remake of GTAV. 

3 hours ago, Triple A said:

With all the M&A news of late, I do wonder if this announcement is more a stock market play than a project related one

It does feel something like this is afoot. Or they're simply letting everyone know they're hiring and staffing up ro go into full production on this.

I mean everyone knows/assumes there will be a new GTA* at some point. Why bother confirming it like this instead of making a big pr-splash with a proper reveal unless it's there's a reason other than getting gamers hyped.

*Online 2 or GTA6 or whatever

56 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

This’ll be the first big Rockstar game without Dan Houser as part of it. Will be interesting to see how it does. 

Good, imo all those guys did was made the series head in an ever more tedious direction. 

Did everyone watch the noclip docu on DMA design?  You all should if you haven't!!

Take Two investor call in three days’ time and huge acquisitions taking place across the industry strongly suggest that this is to appease and placate antsy shareholders. No apparent reason for them to announce the blindingly obvious otherwise.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

This’ll be the first big Rockstar game without Dan Houser as part of it. Will be interesting to see how it does. 

I reckon it’ll sell. Unless it’s another mobile shit show.

I reckon we’ll see a teaser this year, maybe even quite soon, with a release date for next year (that will get delayed lol). They’ll integrate GTA Online into the new game in some way rather than cut it off and start again.

They haven’t done a big PR splash because they can just send that tweet and everyone will start talking about it without them having to spend any money.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Anyone know if a new COD or FIFA is in development? TIA.

The difference being you know you’ll get one of those every year, GTAVI may be released between now and eternity. 

I think they will have to do something to let people who have spent thousands of hours and / or thousands of pounds on 

Online goodies carry progress, in some form, across into GTA Online 2. And they will have to announce it pretty sharpish after they announce GTA 6. Otherwise people are just going to just stop spending money in GTA Online and they clearly don't want that to happen. 

It's an interesting situation that's never really arisen before, with real-world business implications. There aren't many online games of GTA's size and popularity that let you buy items with real money that actually affect gameplay, rather than just being cosmetic. 

It will be interesting to see if this is being developed as an enormous next gen GTA online with a single player component or like GTA5 and RDR2 as a major single player entry that will develop its online component/community over time after release.

I have heard through a friend of a friend type whispering Vice city is the destination again but pinch of salt and all that. I really hope it explores a past era again as the contemporary settings of 4 and 5 just leave me cold.

It'll be interesting to see if the soul of these Rockstar games will change now that most of the known big people behind it have all left Rockstar, leaving only Sam Houser to trouser all the bonus money he used to have to share.

On 04/02/2022 at 19:26, Doctor Shark said:

Benzies as well, he will still have been there through a fair bit of the RDR2 development. 

On 04/02/2022 at 22:25, Doctor Shark said:

More the story I’m concerned about, as Dan was main writer on most of the GTA and both Red Dead’s. 

I’ve personally found that the trajectory of the story in GTA games has been mostly downward for me. 3 is my favourite, as the story exists to serve the gameplay (in the noclip documentary they say they didn’t even have much story planned out, they mostly built missions that were fun then stuck a story on afterwards).

In direct contrast, the newer games are built to serve the story. This manifests in some really boring missions that are only there to push the story forward, dull sections of driving while people talk etc. I find personally that these games aren’t really very well written, and the structuring of their stories is abysmal, with a 50 hour first act then the bulk of the narrative development shoved into an hour or two at the end. If I wanted to watch a movie, I could pick any crime drama dross with a low budget on Netflix and it would have a better story, better characters and be more satisfying.

I understand that the niche these serve is people who want a pretty generic story strapped on to a relatively simple game, which is why they’re such massive hits culturally. You don’t become the most successful by being too complex, you get there with the illusion of complexity. 

With all this in mind, I’m really interested to see where the next one goes. I’d love for them to go back to something more gameplay driven, but I think it’s very unlikely. 

46 minutes ago, Broker said:

In direct contrast, the newer games are built to serve the story. This manifests in some really boring missions that are only there to push the story forward, dull sections of driving while people talk etc. I find personally that these games aren’t really very well written, and the structuring of their stories is abysmal, with a 50 hour first act then the bulk of the narrative development shoved into an hour or two at the end. If I wanted to watch a movie, I could pick any crime drama dross with a low budget on Netflix and it would have a better story, better characters and be more satisfying.

I understand that the niche these serve is people who want a pretty generic story strapped on to a relatively simple game, which is why they’re such massive hits culturally. You don’t become the most successful by being too complex, you get there with the illusion of complexity. 

I don't think this describes RDR2 very well at all. I think it's narratively well structured, has great characters, is satisfying etc. I would agree it is generic in the sense that it wants to touch on a load of the things we love from Westerns. It doesn't want to really interrogate the Western, say something new, be something different from a classic Western, it wants to embody them in the form of a  game and let you live them for yourself, and it succeeds. In general I think the writing and performances are better than any other Rockstar game I've played and for me I was more absorbed in the story than in anything I've watched on telly over the last few months. And it managed to do this while being a prequel, which a lot of Film/TV can't do well. I wouldn't want to claim it's as good as The Sopranos, but it's probably better than the The Many Saints of Newark.

I do agree that the game-y bits are relatively simple (while ignoring the complexity of the technology required to make them work), and I did get a bit tired of the repetition towards the end, but that's fine, probably the right choice.

I found RDR2 quite hard to get into.  With Red Dead Redemption, that more or less immediately felt like GTA in the Wild West.
Its still my game of all time so far. Even the undead nightmare add-on was brilliant!

RDR2 felt different. As i say, a little toooo different for me.  I'd say overblown with micro statistics such as ongoing health management.

I hate that. - i'm in a game. Not real life.

Red Dead 2 does take a more interesting approach to Westerns than it probably needed to. Using the gang as an allegory for the modernisation of America was used in the first one too, but that's quite a poignant topic for a game. In fact as a narrative it's pretty complex and there's definitely merit in unpicking the themes in it like a good film. Arthur is a brilliant character too, hands down the best that Rockstar have come up with. For me it's miles better than a first base cowboy game where you shoot native Americans and play a sheriff of whatever. RDR 1&2 being more low-key than GTA allows them to be more involving though I think, that by its nature will always be goofier. The nice thing is we live in a world where both exist.