Jump to content

Vampire Survivors - DLC Out Now.


moosegrinder
 Share

Recommended Posts

Garlic, Spinach, Bibles, Protecto-Bird, Lighting Ring - absolute carnage and when that flock of bats flies over and you can just barge through them -so satisfying.

 

To me this game doesn't feel reductive or sparse, it's the absolute goal of any design discipline to remove everything until only the most important elements remain. It's actually really hard to do that and you have to be highly confident and brutally honest with yourself to achieve it. It can mean hours of your own work being edited and binned for the sake of design purity. That's what this game has done so effectively. Not even a hint of cruft or bloat. No patronising or cynical tutorials, hints, dialogue or cinematics getting in your way. Just a pure, unfiltered cycle of addiction and pull. Even the sound effect of eating the food sounds like hitting a big button on a fruit machine. One more go one more go more more go.

 

Do we really need all the triple-eh trappings and baggage that we're used to? Is Vampire Survivors any less of a game than Elden Ring, Assassin's Creed or God of War? I honestly think I prefer it to any of those games already. It respects your time, understands exactly what pleasure buttons a vidya should press and keeps you coming back for more. The progressions system and unlocks are perfect. It's refined and polished in ways that "big" games miss entirely.

 

I always loved Halls Of The Things as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this has managed to fill my last 2 days and I’ve not even considered booting GOW. 
 I’ve unlocked all the areas and it’s opened a ton of other stuff that as ever is barely explained but I’ll just keep playing till it does something :)

 garlic, bible and pentagram powered to the max and any of knives,whip or boomerang is so satisfying - especially when the screen is full to the brim with enemies who can’t get close to you and the screen is just going nuts. 
 Most fun I’ve had in a single game in ages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the funniest things about the game is that when you're fully powered up and everything is maxed out and you're in the final minutes, the game "engine" just can't cope no matter how fast your PC/console is.

 

Vampire Survivors laughs at your framerate counting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

To me this game doesn't feel reductive or sparse, it's the absolute goal of any design discipline to remove everything until only the most important elements remain. It's actually really hard to do that and you have to be highly confident and brutally honest with yourself to achieve it. It can mean hours of your own work being edited and binned for the sake of design purity. That's what this game has done so effectively. Not even a hint of cruft or bloat. No patronising or cynical tutorials, hints, dialogue or cinematics getting in your way. Just a pure, unfiltered cycle of addiction and pull. Even the sound effect of eating the food sounds like hitting a big button on a fruit machine. One more go one more go more more go.

 

Do we really need all the triple-eh trappings and baggage that we're used to? Is Vampire Survivors any less of a game than Elden Ring, Assassin's Creed or God of War? I honestly think I prefer it to any of those games already. It respects your time, understands exactly what pleasure buttons a vidya should press and keeps you coming back for more. The progressions system and unlocks are perfect. It's refined and polished in ways that "big" games miss entirely.

 

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities – Michelangelo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Benny said:

One of the funniest things about the game is that when you're fully powered up and everything is maxed out and you're in the final minutes, the game "engine" just can't cope no matter how fast your PC/console is.

 

Vampire Survivors laughs at your framerate counting. 


Anyone having issues should turn off damage numbers. That helps until you hit minute 31…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Benny said:

One of the funniest things about the game is that when you're fully powered up and everything is maxed out and you're in the final minutes, the game "engine" just can't cope no matter how fast your PC/console is.

 

Vampire Survivors laughs at your framerate counting. 


Isn’t it single threaded in electron?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just lasted 30 mins in the library. Then I assume the boss arrived and I was dead. 

 

But what a run that was.  Game started playing itself for me from about 16 mins onwards. Then it got mental for the last 2. 

 

Just explored the dairy and found some new relics.  I've done 7 hrs since Thursday and I know I only played a bit Thur and Fri. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Just lasted 30 mins in the library. Then I assume the boss arrived and I was dead. 

 

But what a run that was.  Game started playing itself for me from about 16 mins onwards. Then it got mental for the last 2. 

 

Just explored the dairy and found some new relics.  I've done 7 hrs since Thursday and I know I only played a bit Thur and Fri. 

 

30 mins ish is the limit, then you die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to close the lid on my Mac on the Dairy while it was still playing just now, my cleric was up to lvl62 and I had to get ready to go out so I left it unattended, I came back five minutes later and he was still on full health, just wasting everything that approached with maxed out holy water, bibles, crosses etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Been on it since 6 this morning. The great thing is, you can eat toast and drink tea whilst you’re playing it. 

 

When I was having a 'quick' session this morning I couldn't leave behind the ingrained behaviour of holding the controller with two hands. Since it's evening I'll try one handled controller and a nice glass of wine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • moosegrinder changed the title to Vampire Survivors - DLC Out Now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.