Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series - celebrating 25 years of platforming

Keyboard Koala

12 minutes ago, SMD said:

Any confirmation or comparisons of performance? I'd rather get this on Switch but if there are performance issues I'd get it in something else.

‘Upto 60fps’ on Switch, which I guess means 60fps for the most part but probably a few dips when there’s a lot going on.

11 minutes ago, SMD said:

Any confirmation or comparisons of performance? I'd rather get this on Switch but if there are performance issues I'd get it in something else.

John Linneman talked about it on one of the DF directs, he really doesn’t like the Switch port and recommended playing it anywhere else! 

That’s another DF moan, they often have really great and interesting stuff buried in a 90 min podcast of nothingness. Alex or Tom have nothing to say except to repeat what the last person said but you also get JL talking interesting stuff when they’re talking about something he’s interested in! 

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

John Linneman talked about it on one of the DF directs, he really doesn’t like the Switch port and recommended playing it anywhere else! 

That’s another DF moan, they often have really great and interesting stuff buried in a 90 min podcast of nothingness. Alex or Tom have nothing to say except to repeat what the last person said but you also get JL talking interesting stuff when they’re talking about something he’s interested in! 

Yeah I can't watch those, they're too long and I lose interest. Shame the Switch version sounds buggered, maybe it can get patched to a better level.

Completed the first game on ps5-this port seems to not render the main antagonists inner cape incorrectly! Was a stand out feature of the character, looked like a universe on ps1/wii - just black here. Aside from that all seems good. Starting to play number 2.

Played the demo today. Fucking hell - what a tedious slog that was. So boring, so fiddly with the bollocks hold-a-baddie to double jump nonsense, instructional pop ups every five seconds, awful. I was never a fan of the original but don’t remember it being such amateur shite. There are a billion and one cheap platformers way more fun than this.

I think Klonoa 2 is better, but I do prefer playing the original Klonoa on my Miyoo Mini than the remake in this pack (or the Wii version).

And actually, Klonoa on the GBA is better than them all. A wonderful little puzzle platformer.

15 hours ago, Paulando said:

And actually, Klonoa on the GBA is better than them all. A wonderful little puzzle platformer.

I didn't play much of the 3D Klonoa games but that's because I came to them off the back of playing and really liking the GBA games. The newer games didn't seem to have the puzzle elements which I enjoyed in the 2D counterparts. That said had this release had the GBA games included I'd have been tempted to buy it and give the 3D ones another go.

• 3 months later...

I'm on 6-2 of the first game on the Switch and finding the floaty platforming and timed switches super frustrating.

I don't think the joy con buttons are helping here. I'll have to connect my SNES controller and see if that's easier.

I believe this is the last stage and I'm super stubborn about finishing the game at this point but hold shit...

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Currently £19.99 for both PS5 & Switch @ Smyth's Toys

Glad I waited. Missus has bought me this as an Xmas pressie.

and sold out - presumably to scalpers. 

£26 at base.com was the next cheapest i could find

https://www.base.com/buy/product/klonoa-phantasy-reverie-series-nintendo-switch/dgc-klonoans.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAmuKbBhA2EiwAxQnt7_udKg2RuyPfB60caA1QYv8_WdE5y7ZgnrvjpU03wF7s6QzmxQYmIRoC0vcQAvD_BwE

The Smyths website is rubbish when it comes to which games they have in stock. My local had one Switch copy in stock according to their website and display cases on the shelf but when I went to the counter they couldn’t find it. Last week Triangle Strategy was listed as out of stock on their website and I was able to pick up a copy in store.