IGNORED

Blade Runner 2099 - TV show

JohnC

In all seriousness, not at all. And that was around the period that I'd watch or read about any old sci-fi rubbish.

Anyway, about Blade Runner, it always feels odd when a cultural touchstone movie gets a TV show. Like it should be an untouchable thing that exists in and of itself and any attempt to expand it would dilute the original source. Especially so long after it came out.

Then again, it's a bit late to say that what with the game, sequel and anime already out there. But I still think that every time.

The project, which would mark the first Blade Runner live-action series, is in priority development at Amazon Studios, which is fast tracking scripts and eyeing potential production dates. Staffing is currently underway for writers to join a room. Scott may direct if the series moves forward, sources said.

Is that a threat?

I hope this series has nothing to do with the events of either film and tries to tell a different story.

I wish Ridley Scott's kids would do the decent thing, call social services and have him put in a home quite honestly. The last 15-20 years of his output has been utter dross.

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

I wish Ridley Scott's kids would do the decent thing, call social services and have him put in a home quite honestly. The last 15-20 years of his output has been utter dross.

Raised By Wolves is arguably the best SF to have come out in a visual medium in the last decade, so that’s a strange suggestion at best.

Also, The Last Duel is excellent, and that came out last year.

13 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Get in the fucking sea.

Tell me what he's done! I'd be genuinely interested to know what decent stuff he's done in that time. 

The man's made at least two of the greatest films ever, so I'll never think too bad of him, but recently?

Edit: 

2000Gladiator 

2001Hannibal

Black Hawk Down

2003Matchstick Men

2005Kingdom of Heaven

2006A Good Year

2007American Gangster

2008Body of Lies

2010Robin Hood

2012Prometheus

2013The Counselor

2014Exodus: Gods and Kings

2015The Martian

2017Alien: Covenant

All the Money in the World

2021The Last Duel

House of Gucci

Gladiator was good fun, I'll give you that. 

Christopher Plummer's astonishing turn in All the Money in the World was great (after all the Spacey shenanigans), but the film was fairly dull.

Nothing else does much for me in that list.

I think the man's an outstanding cinemographer. He knows what looks great on the screen. I don't think he's an especially good director anymore.

Sorry...

This is the point where I say that Alien Covenant is one of the worst pieces of film I've ever seen in my life. It's fucking atrocious. 

It's worse than the Raph Fienne Avengers film.

And the Postman.

Edit Edit:

I've yet to see Last Duel or House of Gucci, so I will be more than happy to reappraise as and when this happens :) 

Absolute madness 

Here’s my ratings of his films you mention 

Gladiator 5/5

Hannibal. 3.5/5

Black Hawk Down 4/5

Matchstick Men 4/5

Kingdom of Heaven 5/5 (directors cut)

A good year. Not seen. 
American Gangster. 4/5

Body of Lies. 4/5

Robin Hood. 3/5

Prometheus. 3/5

The Counsellor 1/5 ( ok, I’ll give you this one)

Exodus 4/5

The Martian 4/5

Alien Covenant 4/5

All the money in the world 4/5

The last duel - not seen

House of Gucci. 3.5/5

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Tell me what he's done! I'd be genuinely interested to know what decent stuff he's done in that time. 

The man's made at least two of the greatest films ever, so I'll never think too bad of him, but recently?

Edit: 

2000Gladiator 

2001Hannibal

Black Hawk Down

2003Matchstick Men

2005Kingdom of Heaven

2006A Good Year

2007American Gangster

2008Body of Lies

2010Robin Hood

2012Prometheus

2013The Counselor

2014Exodus: Gods and Kings

2015The Martian

2017Alien: Covenant

All the Money in the World

2021The Last Duel

House of Gucci

Gladiator was good fun, I'll give you that. 

Christopher Plummer's astonishing turn in All the Money in the World was great (after all the Spacey shenanigans), but the film was fairly dull.

Nothing else does much for me in that list.

I think the man's an outstanding cinemographer. He knows what looks great on the screen. I don't think he's an especially good director anymore.

Sorry...

This is the point where I say that Alien Covenant is one of the worst pieces of film I've ever seen in my life. It's fucking atrocious. 

It's worse than the Raph Fienne Avengers film.

And the Postman.

Edit Edit:

I've yet to see Last Duel or House of Gucci, so I will be more than happy to reappraise as and when this happens :) 

Only AC in that list is utter dross. So that disproves that theory. 

Edit: Oh and The Counsellor. Shite.

Isn't The Counsellor one of those movies you're supposed to reappraise armed with fresh context and thematic guidelines cribbed from YouTube videos?

I wouldn't know, because I only watched it once and thought it was shit.

I’ve not seen many in that list, but Matchstick Men is also great, and so is Blackhawk Down. I don’t think I knew he’d made either of them.

Prometheus is one of the worst films ever made, obviously.

I don't really know what Scott was going for with Prometheus - something something Chariots of the Gods perhaps? - and the character work is all over the shop (see also the rest of his scifi. He doesn't give a shit) but its fun, a looker and he stages the hell out of it. I love its goofy ass.

Anyway, Blade Runner.

The original film is my all time favourite. I rinsed the old DOS game. Blade Runner 2049 was an a masterpiece of cinematography. I loved the 2024 anime, and have just started the newer one (which, admittedly, has a style that's taking a little getting used to).

More Blade Runner? Excellent.

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Anyway, Blade Runner.

The original film is my all time favourite. I rinsed the old DOS game. Blade Runner 2049 was an a masterpiece of cinematography. I loved the 2024 anime, and have just started the newer one (which, admittedly, has a style that's taking a little getting used to).

More Blade Runner? Excellent.

I was very happy to be proved wrong with Bladerunner 2049. I definitely wasn't in the right frame of mind when I first saw it - mostly mumbling something about there being absolutely no need for it to exist probably - but second time watching it I had something akin to an epiphany, and I think it's probably the most beautiful film I've ever seen. I wish it had done better in the cinema than it did because unlike the original I wanted to know more about these particular characters. Whereas I think the first film is perfect in and of itself. It didn't need a sequel. 

Not sure that makes sense, but there we go. 

11 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I fucking love Hannibal. I'll defend it to my last breath.

The first half is great - as is the first half of the book. Scott’s second half is better than the book’s. And I still shout “Cordell !!!!” in Oldman’s voice quite a lot.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I was very happy to be proved wrong with Bladerunner 2049. I definitely wasn't in the right frame of mind when I first saw it - mostly mumbling something about there being absolutely no need for it to exist probably - but second time watching it I had something akin to an epiphany, and I think it's probably the most beautiful film I've ever seen. I wish it had done better in the cinema than it did because unlike the original I wanted to know more about these particular characters. Whereas I think the first film is perfect in and of itself. It didn't need a sequel. 

It’s a great film glued to a shit film. The great film is all the bits before Harrison Ford arrives, and the shit film is the rest of it.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I know what you mean, although was thrilled to get it on first viewing. I wrote my thoughts about it at the time, not sure I can sum it up as well as I did then.

I think PKD's book might be my most reread. In fact, he's definitely the author I've reread the most. Probably more so if I include audio books.

The first part of the film (basically, K's shit life) makes me want to like Blade Runner 2049 more than I do but the whole thing just feels flatter and more lifeless every time I watch it, which is the complete opposite of my experience with the original.

• 6 months later...