Nintendo Switch Sports - Nintendo aiming for the PS2's record.

HarMGM

Bowling remains fantastic, and is still far more enjoyable than the real thing.

192 on my first go.

Memory will be fuzzy here but the hook you can apply feels very satisfying, not sure how much (if at all) that was in the original. Standing in front of the screen watching a slow ball take out a spare remains a very pleasing experience.

Tennis felt OK too and in all honesty whilst that doesn't make it a stellar package tennis & bowling could be enough to justify the £30 price tag for many.

38 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Currys / DPD delivery delay email 'delayed flight' so i'll not be finding out today!!

hoping its decent laugh tho as I've just volunteered to the primary school end of year fun day to set this up in one of the classes on the fancy digital whiteboards!

That sucks.  I've just received mine from them thankfully.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow for you.

40 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Bowling remains fantastic, and is still far more enjoyable than the real thing.

192 on my first go.

Have they broken it slightly?  I think many people, my wife was one, found it quite easy on the Wii and Wii U, but I always suffered from drift however much I compensated.  I've just had one quick go on the new one and scored 216.

6 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Have they broken it slightly?  I think many people, my wife was one, found it quite easy on the Wii and Wii U, but I always suffered from drift however much I compensated.  I've just had one quick go on the new one and scored 216.

Broken how ? It feels quite easy to smash out spares, but don't really recall how hard/easy that was before. 

The removal of the timing to let go of the ball makes it slightly easier as you are really just aiming and adding speed/spin.

It feels satisfying, if not something with the learning curve of Elden Ring or Zelda.

Just now, Gotters said:

Broken how ? It feels quite easy to smash out spares, but don't really recall how hard/easy that was before. 

The removal of the timing to let go of the ball makes it slightly easier as you are really just aiming and adding speed/spin.

It feels satisfying, if not something with the learning curve of Elden Ring or Zelda.

Broken as in, if I can get 216 on my first go, have they made it too easy?  It probably isn't the case, maybe just a fluke and I can't judge it until I get some proper play time in later.  However, it still felt as good as ever and I'm really looking forward to giving it a good go later, time allowing.  It's also Ozark day after all!

My memory of the old game isn't that good in terms of scores or difficulty - seems pretty impossible now to chuck a gutter ball which I do recall doing though.

Playing online I'd imagine is a dispiriting strike fest, but I find most games like that online. 

19 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Broken as in, if I can get 216 on my first go, have they made it too easy?  It probably isn't the case, maybe just a fluke and I can't judge it until I get some proper play time in later.  However, it still felt as good as ever and I'm really looking forward to giving it a good go later, time allowing.  It's also Ozark day after all!

You never lose it tho… I played wii sports years after last ‘properly’ playing it in a high pressure situation - first meeting of my current partners parents and an ice breaker! I smashed them all, my new avatar setting new records on their decades old wii 😂

Honestly, it’s the best game ever made that I never recognise - Nintendo could release it for £100 and I’d snap it up, can’t wait to play it on the switch!

Had a quick go on bowling and badminton, both seemed really quite fun.

Can’t seem to get tennis working properly though. I imitate the swing motion but my character throws the ball up but won’t actually hit it to serve. I reckon my 4 year old Joycons might need replacing.

Edit: Updating the joycon controller software and recalibrating them has fixed the issue for me! Tennis now works perfectly! I’d highly recommend others doing the same in case they have similar issues as me.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Had a quick go on bowling and badminton, both seemed really quite fun.

Can’t seem to get tennis working properly though. I imitate the swing motion but my character throws the ball up but won’t actually hit it to serve. I reckon my 4 year old Joycons might need replacing.

Edit: Updating the joycon controller software and recalibrating them has fixed the issue for me! Tennis now works perfectly! I’d highly recommend others doing the same in case they have similar issues as me.

Strange that you had to manually update the joycons.  I was prompted to do so as soon the game loaded the first time.

Has this got any of the mad challenges like knock down 99 pins, etc? I don’t recall seeing any challenge mode in the main menu.

Can’t wait to fire this up again later.

39 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Strange that you had to manually update the joycons.  I was prompted to do so as soon the game loaded the first time.

yeah, I had assumed they would update automatically as well but they didn’t for me.

still, at least everything is working now. I really like the football game mode from what I’ve played so far. It’s like a Rocket League lite. 

13 minutes ago, Malc said:

I really like the football game mode from what I’ve played so far. It’s like a Rocket League lite. 

That's good to hear.  I have such a fondness for tennis and bowling that I must make sure I don't neglect the other titles as a result.  I'm hoping there is a hidden gem or two amongst them.

Played them all online, surprising that I had so much fun with football. Had some real tense games go to extra time. Great fun.

Loved Badminton as well, this will be a great time with the family!

I've only tried Tennis online yet, wonder why they changed the scoring for it.

I'm disappointed that I can't see any tennis challenges.  One of the others had a tennis machine and targets to hit on return didn't they?  Also, no way to rank up and unlock equipment offline either?

Amazed at the critical lukewarm response to this. From what I can tell, it's completely fucking brilliant. 

Not played tennis, but so far... 

Chambara < Bowling < Volleyball < Football < Badminton 

But everything Volleyball upwards has been blinding. Bowling has always been a little sedate for me, but not yet tried the crazy lanes!

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

Just put this on, jumped straight into online bowling.

My first round: 173 

2nd place: 47

3rd place: 42

So… rllmuk is good at this and the world is crap?!

I've played one game offline as mentioned previously scoring 216, and I've just had one online game after playing a shitload of tennis online and won with 169 or so.  The others were not even close for me either.

I share @Jolly's view.  I thought this thread would be flaming hot.  Unless you're all too busy online to post that is.  Fucking fantastic game.

On the question of not letting go of the button for bowling, that was an option on Wii Sports Club on Wii U - you could choose to either have the release automatic or manual.  Is there not an option this time?

2 hours ago, Xevious said:

On the question of not letting go of the button for bowling, that was an option on Wii Sports Club on Wii U - you could choose to either have the release automatic or manual.  Is there not an option this time?

No option this time that I’m aware of.

11 hours ago, Corranga said:

Just put this on, jumped straight into online bowling.

My first round: 173 

2nd place: 47

3rd place: 42

So… rllmuk is good at this and the world is crap?!

Pretty sure the first game you play is against shit bots.

Yeah, in the first online game of bowling you get 99 seconds for each attempt, and all the opponents have fairly common names. After that initial game you only have 15 seconds and you notice the names are a bit more like you'd expect to see online.

Potential spoiler after a few games online, though it might only have been a surprise to me as I haven't read any reviews.

Spoiler

You eventually get access to the 'Pro Leagues' which I guess should make the games more even/competitive.

17 hours ago, Stejay said:

Has this got any of the mad challenges like knock down 99 pins, etc? I don’t recall seeing any challenge mode in the main menu.

Can’t wait to fire this up again later.

I watched the IGN video review on YouTube yesterday and they showed off some of the challenges in bowling, yes. 

Just now, AK Bell said:

How much is the leg strap needed? Should you have more than one?

Is there a cheap option?

I’m picking up today, but I imagine it’s only needed for football.

2 hours ago, elmo said:

Pretty sure the first game you play is against shit bots.

yep, I realised that on my second game, though I still won by 50 points!

3rd Game was much closer, I was 2nd, then I played a bunch of football and seem to have forgotten how to bowl and get knocked out in the first 5 😂

Both bowling and football are great fun.

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

How much is the leg strap needed? Should you have more than one?

Is there a cheap option?

The leg strap is the same as the one for ring fit. You’ll get a cheap one on eBay, though checking now it looks like they are close to a fiver, or 7 for 2, pretty sure I paid about 3.50 for one and a pair of ring fit hand grips in the past.

I don’t know what it’s actually used for yet though and since the digital edition doesn’t come with one I’d expect not that much, so possibly worth holding off.

14 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I don’t know what it’s actually used for yet though and since the digital edition doesn’t come with one I’d expect not that much, so possibly worth holding off.

I haven't tried yet, but I think it's just for free kick mode.  Isn't there a patch due that will let you use it with all the football games though?

Leg strap is just for the football shoot out mode. Patch coming in Summer which will let you play a normal game of football using the strap.

My son just won online bowling on his first go! It looks very addictive!

I spy some Nintendo hand holding when you play bowling offline initially (don’t know if it lasts). I played 3 games yesterday and last go scored 216.

Went online and my scores dropped back to around 150, it’s much harder with more splits. 

First online game is definitely bots to ease you in, second one looks like real people. Guess it doesnt have to be asynchronous as it appears, no reason it cant be feeding you a matched assortment of real stored people.

Doesnt really matter as game isn’t direct PvP for bowling, the online is great though and really adds something.