IGNORED

Need PS5Pro/XSXX. Underpowered consoles. Raytracing

Meat

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Ok, if you're insisting on ray tracing, but that's a nice extra at this point rather than something which massively compromises a game to not have. 

There are very few games on consoles where ray tracing is worth the performance hit but that's not because they are 'underpowered', it's that they're not £3000 systems.

Agree with this and its a shame the manufacturers have pushed RT as feature because it raises expectations. Its great that RT is available to use to enhance games and content where appropriate but it won't actually enhance the games as much as spending that compute time on enhancing the games in other ways. These are £500 consoles not £3K PCs. To some degree PCs are limited by consoles too these days as they are predominantly the target platform for most AAA games so will be optimised for these in terms of the gameplay itself. 

In terms of VR Sony are very clever at embedding things into the VR tech itself to provide the necessary tech to give a great experience. 

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Ratchet and Clank runs at 25-50% of the resolution of native (1080-1440p) in the 'performance RT' mode to hit 60.

It is a much fuzzier image as a result.

To put this into context , “Much fuzzier”= “barely noticeable” 

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

If you really feel your enjoyment of your games spoilt by the weak consoles, fair enough, buy this instead (and eat noodles for a year).

https://www.ebuyer.com/1413292-alphasync-silent-base-core-i9-12th-gen-32gb-ram-4tb-hdd-1tb-as-d6376

Indeed. But hey it will play Forza Horizon 5 with few more shinies at a frame rate above a £450 Series X. Same game though. Same gameplay loop. Also the game will run at 60fps optimised for a Series X. I know the old argument that PCs do other things etc... Anyhow... Not wanting to derail this into a consoles Vs PC thing. £500 vs £2800 pretty decent bang per buck on a console IMHO. And you don't have to eat noodles. :D 

24 minutes ago, MattyP said:

The new consoles have not even been explored fully yet in terms of using the available power! :)

Think its diminishing returns in terms of wanting ever more compute power. Sure 4K @ 60fps is nice to have but what real impact is that going to have on the games themselves? AAA games are already taking 4-5 years to develop. I don't think having shinier graphics will make the games any better really hope they start to focus on using the new CPUs and SSDs to provide more interesting games rather than more shiny. 

It’s mad isn’t it, especially when you see a game like Horizon Forbidden West, or Returnal, and they look absolutely stunning. 

More wants more. 

By the time the Pro versions of the consoles arrive the equivalent gaming PCs will be ahead of them again anyway.

I'm not dissatisfied with the current gen hardware at all yet, other than their sheer size and the lack of hard drive space. They'll be powerful enough for me for the next half-decade though I'm sure.

Just now, Stanley said:

It’s mad isn’t it, especially when you see a game like Horizon Forbidden West, or Returnal, and they look absolutely stunning. 

More wants more. 

More's law.

No game looks better than RDR2, and that’s a generation old now. Just shows that it’s asset production that’s the bottleneck, not hardware power.

Making things look real just takes an insane level of attention to detail and work. Just making lighting real doesn’t automatically make an environment look real.

I think people are remembering when the 360 came out and games like Oblivion ran better on it than most PCs. 

Since consoles are basically pcs now designed to be sold at below £500 without the company footing a giant loss, they're always going to be behind PC tech for the foreseeable future but still present the best bang for buck option. You will not get "I want my xbox or PS5 to do what highest end pcs can do but at budget cost". Just enjoy your expensive boxes you dummies, stuff like Demon's Souls which is a 60fps launch game looks STUPID good. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

More wants more. 

I’m fortunate enough to have a PC that can run Cyberpunk with all the dials set to 11, and it looks great.

I still don’t think it looks as good as Red Dead 2 or Uncharted 4 from a design and artistic point of view. 

Ray tracing is going to be great, yet I’ve yet to be anywhere near convinced it’s this life changing thing. If anything I tend to be more impressed by devs faking all the cool lighting than effectively switching a button and allowing computational grunt do the work!

The current consoles are beasts, and certainly not underpowered. The Bone and PS4 were severely underpowered,yes, but the XSX and PS5 are surprisingly powerful if anything.

The problem is that Ray Tracing on consoles simply won't be feasible until at least the next generation. That's a MASSIVE power requirement. 

It's under powered developers not poor hardware.

Mario Kart 8 still looks better than most X enhanced or PS5 games, and it's running on an old mobile phone chip with about as much RAM as my oven operating system has.

There are some incredible looking games out already with likewise incredible performance. Demanding ray tracing on top of that is truly demanding the moon on a stick. Enjoy the amazing stuff we're already getting!

And if you absolutely must, you xan always pay thousands if pounds for a capable pc. That's totally an option. Just be realistic about a 500quid console

Ray Tracing or lack of doesn’t really impact my enjoyment of games in any significant way, as fps does, so I can live without. The videos of Horizon Forbidden West already look amazing, hurtling around a track in GT7 I doubt I’d notice too much. Although I’m sure things will improve as the generation progresses. Also, I’m not really interested in a PRO console, never had one for PS4 and didn’t really feel I was missing out on anything.

I think we should wait for some proper next gen games before calling these consoles underpowered. Flight Sim, Demon's Souls, Returnal and R&C are all a taste of what's to come. Assuming Naughty Dog's next game is PS5 only, then that should be staggeringly good looking.

By the time a Pro model of either platform comes out and fully implements ray tracing the goalposts will have moved again. Consoles with a fixed architecture are never going to keep up with the mutable architecture of a PC and PC owners invested in the arms race are never going to be quiet about their bells and whistles because it justifies the outlay.

There's a fitting Brian Eno anecdote about the transition from something being a nice extra to an expected requirement, where people getting wi-fi on a plane for the first time declared it the best thing ever and then complained about the airline being shit when it failed half an hour into the flight.

The OP needs a warning for those of us triggered by bullshit. Next gen gaming is about having 5 second load times thanks to the SSDs in these things and having CPUs that can make 60fps the norm. 

It's mad to see people with GPUs that cost more than a PS5 - sometimes more than both a PS5 and a Series X, talk shit about them being "underpowered." When the PS4 launched, it was £349 and offered a significantly worse experience than my £450 PC.

This is what I don’t like about modern gaming. This desire for more and more shinies. The idea that with it you’d be in some kind of gaming nirvana. Like the last few decades haven’t taught us that graphics don’t make  better gaming experiences. The constant desire to chase the pink elephant of graphical fidelity just thrusts up development costs leading to more conservative games and less risk taking by developers, more developers and publishers going bust or dropping out of the industry and further homogenisation. I’d rather Sony and MS spent the next ten years focusing on what they’ve got and cutting down development costs.

Its why I vibe more with the Switch, give me 30fps, fuck ray tracing and low res graphics as long as the games are creative and play well. 

RE: whenever the PS5 gets a redesign. It was my (limited) understanding that the PS5 is as vast as it is to prevent it from overheating. This means unless a redesign has some bonkers water cooled nonsense in it it's not going to change in size, right?

5 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

This is what I don’t like about modern gaming. This desire for more and more shinies.

So basically modern day consumerism? ^_^ The original poster has mentioned 2 games that are considered the most notorious games for being buggy and most inefficient games designed as being the reasons for needing new console revisions already.... I mean games that have been specifically designed with these consoles in mind look and play incredible.

There won't be a hardware revision for quite some time, if in fact ever. I tried the xbox streaming yesterday and that played well enough that I could see this potentially being my last xbox if that's the route xbox continue down....

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

RE: whenever the PS5 gets a redesign. It was my (limited) understanding that the PS5 is as vast as it is to prevent it from overheating. This means unless a redesign has some bonkers water cooled nonsense in it it's not going to change in size, right?

It was but I do think it has been over designed so there probably is some leeway to bring down the size factor (plus generally the tech gets smaller and cheaper as a generation goes on).