IGNORED

Retro Computer Game Event at Fairfield Halls - Croydon 2004?

nevsan

Does anyone remember the Retro gaming event that was held in Croydon, Fairfield Halls, or better still have movies/pictures of the day. Only thing is at the moment I'm not entirely super sure of the year, I think it was 2004. I do know it was the 1st of it's kind in Croydon back then. Especially amazing for me because I live this end of the country as all the amazing shows etc seem to be further up the UK nowadays.

There was a tons of very cool nerd stuff there, along with lots of special guests.Off the top of my head... 

Matthew Smith

Archer MacLean

Billy Mitchell

Steve Weatherill

Andrew and Philip Oliver

I will have to dig out any pics or movie files I have but I'm sure I spotted one of the Pickford brothers there :) 

There were live talks which were super interesting, but I'm struggling to find any recorded media from the weekend. Obviously things were a little different back then with tech, so phone didn't have the storage and quality they do now I'm sure I remember some folks walking around with video cameras.

I think I saw a video or two on YouTube, I know a friend sent me a DVD of footage.

It was good, a real shame that some of my photos didn’t develop (including Matthew Smith dancing to the music of C64 Bubble Bobble) - but witnessing that Spectrum legend driving a C5 around the foyer of the venue will stay with me a long time!

So was it 2004? I still have to see if I've still got the photos I took myself but I was amazed to see Matthew Smith. Was super chuffed that he was there and stood up and did a presentation. He was so nervous!! To be fair I'd of been too, especially as he'd been out of the public eye for years. If I remember, Retro Gamer had started and was on shelves but hopefully someone here could correct me on that one 😊 So I don't remember or know if they did a write up?

Crikey Merman, if you don't mind could you root around for that DVD footage if you have it? If you do have it, hopefully it contains stuff that you wouldn't mind sharing.. That was my main point of this post tbh... as my memory what it used to be and that kind of stuff might unearth some memories. I remember having a fab day.. even though I went on my own :D 😐 

Retro Gamer started early 2004.

There were two CGE UKs in Croydon - 2004 was the first, the second in 2005 just as the last issue of Live Publishing’s Retro Gamer (#18) was due.

Most of my retro collection is at my mum’s house, don’t know when I will visit next. I did have a mini website dedicated to but that’s no longer up.

Doris Self was there too. I went with a mate and we were very disappointed with the whole thing for a good hour or so until we spotted the double doors leading into the main part of the venue :facepalm:

I was there, showing off issue 4 of my fanzine (Retro Revival) alongside Boyo (Chris Wilkins) who was showing off his mame cocktail cab (who then went on to run Fusion Books). 

Doesn’t time fly eh? 

I was at both events, got a photo with Matthew Smith which I was very chuffed about. Pre bonkers prices on things so came away with a load of Speccy games, Crash issues etc. Gutted I didn’t get a go on a C5 nor run my hands through Billy Mitchell’s glorious mullet.

I've found some files I did take but not many.. mainly product/shopping shots, so I haven't uploaded them.. but any I find that have people on it I will. Mainly just incase either you are in the frame or someone you know. After all, this was nearly 20 years ago :) 

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 22.45.07.jpg

Also found (although still I've unsure which year I attended) Classic Gaming Expo UK in Croydon on 24th and 25th of July 2004

I obviously don't take credit for the images.

Edited by nevsan