What's your favourite thing to do in videogames?

Jamie John

7 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Mooch.

I like nothing more than having a good mooch about in an open world.

Fuck the story, fuck the quests.  Just leave me alone and let me mooch.

This is me.  Pottering about is my favourite bit.  I love the bit, typically in a JRPG, where you've progressed enough to have access to most or all of the world, there's a main story that you can push ahead with if you like, and maybe a bunch of sub quests waiting, and some exploring to do, or grinding some arbitrary numbers up, but you don't have to do any of them.  You can just potter about in the world a bit.  Maybe upgrade some equipment or mess about with your stats or jobs or gear or something.  Try a few different techniques.  But, you can basically just spend a few hours not really doing anything but enjoying the world of the game at your own pace.

I like exploring, but to be honest, the thing I like most is unleashing some kind of absurdly powerful attack, like a 400-missile super in Bangai-O, or a titan thundercrash in Destiny, or the big hammer from the Doom Eternal DLC. Ideally the attack would be directed at a group of relatively weak enemies all standing in close proximity.

I realise this makes me sound a bit mental, but I can't deny how satisfying it is to launch some kind of rapid fire rain of death.

Car chases where you have to smash into the target car to make it crash, resulting in some sweet physics action. Bonus points if you can also go on-foot and pepper the enemy car with gunfire or shoot out its tyres (GTA, Watch Dogs, Burnout, Ghost Recon Wildlands). Or basically any game that mixes up on-foot and vehicular combat with decent physics e.g Halo Infinite, Far Cry 2.

I also like setting AI against each other and watching what happens e.g hacking dinobots in Horizon, strategically placing turrets in Prey and leading enemies into the killzone, starting some shit in GTAIV or Watch Dogs 2 and then calling the police to deal with the troublemakers. The more chaos is possible, the better. The original version of this was a level in Doom 2 where you could run around opening up tonnes of monster closets then circle strafe around so they ended up attacking each other.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Alternatively drifting. Not like Forza Horizon where you're pretty much only guaranteed to get decent scores by snaking down the road with the traction control off, I'm talking Outun 2, Project Gotham, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. You give me a driving game with a sense of weight and heft as you send some mad bastard car that costs more than your house around a corner at speeds that would see you arrested and locked up and I'm happy.

Aw mate, yes! This is riiiiight up there. 

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Alternatively drifting. Not like Forza Horizon where you're pretty much only guaranteed to get decent scores by snaking down the road with the traction control off, I'm talking Outun 2, Project Gotham, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. You give me a driving game with a sense of weight and heft as you send some mad bastard car that costs more than your house around a corner at speeds that would see you arrested and locked up and I'm happy.

I think it's Ridge 6 or 7 where the roads are so twisty that, instead of fighting the car to point in a given direction, you can just let it keep going through a 360 drift... and figure things out when you're pointing the right way again. :D 

Although Outrun 2(006)'s also feel great, as you let the tail out just enough before correcting when things straighten out again.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Being a complete Kleptomaniac. Especially if I can make in-game money from it.

I'm taking everything not nailed down to sell it for miniscule profit. Even better if there's a repair or crafting function in the game where I can slap things together after picking up a pile of fucking nothing from rummaging in bins and/or dead NPCs.

I hate this in games! The process is like this:

Discover that the game allows you to pick up an apple on a table

Test if you can pick up anything else

Confirm that you can pick up everything 

Assume that items can be crafted or sold later in the game

Spend the next half an hour taking every loose item in the room, leaving only empty barrels and dead NPCs in their underwear

Realise I’ve just wasted half an hour of my life

Enter the next room, which has twice as many barrels

Quit Skyrim for the fourth time

It's interesting to think how the experiences you had when you first came into gaming have shaped your tastes. Someone who started with a pre-3D console, you could imagine, would perhaps be more partial to score chasing or platforming than exploring. Which isn't to say that all 2D games were platformers which didn't feature exploration, obviously, but once game developers were able to give players 3D worlds, getting players to actually explore those worlds must have been high on the developers' agendas.

My first console, for example, was the PS1, and the games I can remember playing through on it as a boy (the Tomb Raiders, FF7-9, Metal Gear Solid, and even stuff like Spyro) were all 3D games that actively encouraged and rewarded exploration. I had no real experience of shooters or other older styles of high-score chasing 'arcade' games, beyond occasionally being given some money to play on a cab if we went on holiday somewhere, and to this day I don't really play these sorts of games.

I like the moments when the control system, animation, and audio come together with perfect timing to make a really satisfying sensation. (Especially if doing so is connected to the game's scoring system.)

I know that's a really vague and general thing to describe! Examples include:

* Halo: Noob comboing an Elite. Shield pop; swap to pistol/BR/DMR; headshot!

* Bayonetta: Dodging an attack at the last possible moment to trigger Witch Time.

* Crazy Taxi: Executing the perfect Crazy Drift weaving through traffic and watching that coin counter "ching!" upwards.

* GoldenEye: Destroying a CCTV camera with a single silenced PP7 shot, and getting the combination of the silenced pistol sound effect and the glass shattering sound effect. (I may have mentioned this before...)

* Rock Band/Guitar Hero: Activating Star Power at exactly the right moment, when you've got a full multiplier at the start of the densest sequence of notes in the entire song, and not dropping the combo.

* THPS: Doing an air special with maximum rotation and landing on a rail in a special grind.

* Doom 2: Super shotgun.

* Geometry Wars 2: Having a huge trail of enemies following you, tempting them closer and closer, then going through a gate and wiping them all out at the same time.

I like to get in a driving game and actually follow the rules of the road. One of my favourite things to do when Test Drive 3 first came out was pop a cd into my pc and just drive around listening to music.

I got my life when Test Drive Unlimited first came out because I wasn't even bothered about the racing really, I just wanted to bomb around the island listening to the radio lol