IGNORED

Elden Ring: exciting performance & technical chat (Frame Souls)

Jamie John

What system will you be using to play Elden Ring?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My copy is getting delivered to my maws house, where I’ll be going on Friday night. There’s a PS4 there that I might start on. Any idea if my save will transfer over via “The Cloud” or sumshit for me to resume back at my own gaff on PS5? I have PS+ and it’s the PS4 disc that I’ve got ordered. I intend to play the PS5 version.

fuck I dunno 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

People who have gone for the PS4/5 version: have you also got PS Plus? I went for the Xbox version as I have Game Pass, and therefore online play by default. I'm quite surprised at the amount of people going for the PS versions, especially if they don't have Plus, which I don't.

Why are you surprised when current indications are that’s it’s the better of the two? Also, there are double the number of PS+ subscribers than there are Game Pass. 

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Why are you surprised when current indications are that’s it’s the better of the two? Also, there are double the number of PS+ subscribers than there are Game Pass. 

Not sure, really. I just got the impression that, with the amount of Game Pass love across the forum, most would have gone for the Xbox version given the choice, but that might just be the Game Pass minority being more vocal than the PS Plus subscribers. Personally, I cancelled my PS Plus sub a couple of years ago and haven't looked back, but this is probably the first game I've played since then that I've wanted to play online.

I hope there's a quick patch to get the XSX version running on par with the PS5 version.

17 minutes ago, Mogster said:

PC for me. Can't wait for it to unlock on Thursday Friday when CDKeys send me my code. :(

Mine from them worked earlier, might be worth checking the link again. They might be fulfilling them in batches.

19 minutes ago, Mogster said:

PC for me. Can't wait for it to unlock on Thursday Friday when CDKeys send me my code. :(

CDKeys codes were available hours ago. Dig out the link you got when you bought it and you should find your code is now up.

It's preloaded now and sitting on my SSD mocking me while all the streamers and industry types have the time of their lives.

This class system will not stand when I can get in there and find an equivalent of that PvP ring of invisibility from DS3 and a great bow...

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Is it another Sekiro situation?

I wasn't sure what this meant but just heard that Sekiro ran at 45fps uncapped on Xbox. Not sure how accurate that is but it sounds a little bit similar.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Not sure, really. I just got the impression that, with the amount of Game Pass love across the forum, most would have gone for the Xbox version given the choice, but that might just be the Game Pass minority being more vocal than the PS Plus subscribers. Personally, I cancelled my PS Plus sub a couple of years ago and haven't looked back, but this is probably the first game I've played since then that I've wanted to play online.

I hope there's a quick patch to get the XSX version running on par with the PS5 version.

As popular as the Series consoles are on here, Souls is often seen as a PlayStation franchise with many saying they prefer the shoulder buttons of Sony's controllers for its combat. And many of us excitedly buy games based on hype and early reviews before release, so with the current reports of the PS5 version running better without the day one patch that further influences matters.

It's surprising that the PS versions aren't further ahead in the lead tbh.

I'm waiting to see what the day one patch does, I'm knee-deep in Cyberpunk and soon Elex 2 anyway. I assume the Series version will run equally well but with From you never know lol

30 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This is just a general “which system did you buy” poll, isn’t it?

On this forum there are plenty of multiplatform owners though, but yes you have a point.

28 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Expect a lot of the Xbox owners are waiting for it to appear on gamepass 😅

Needlessly serious answer: have any From Souls titles ever been on GP? I can't recall

40 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Expect a lot of the Xbox owners are waiting for it to appear on gamepass 😅

It's a legit concern. 

For my xbox I think of the 6ish games that I have bought since owning a series x, three appeared on game pass a few months later making me feel like I wasted money. 

Especially considering Gamepass means an eternal backlog. 

It's an OK problem to have but it would stop me buying a full price day one release. Don't know if others are the same. 

Folks, I bounced off hard on Bloodborne as I couldn't work out the mechanics - it felt like I had to have lightning reflexes to stand a chance.

I realise this is the same, but - can anyone give tips on how to "get good" so to speak? I want to buy this. I want to like this. PLEASE.

17 minutes ago, cowfields said:

It's a legit concern. 

For my xbox I think of the 6ish games that I have bought since owning a series x, three appeared on game pass a few months later making me feel like I wasted money. 

Especially considering Gamepass means an eternal backlog. 

It's an OK problem to have but it would stop me buying a full price day one release. Don't know if others are the same. 

I think it's been discussed extensively,  but if there's nothing you want to play on gamepass or you really want to play a new game,  then buy the thing you want to play. You can't do it any other way.

When you buy tickets for the cinema,  you pay to see that film, that day. If you wait a month or two, you'll be able to stream it for less money. Wait a bit longer and it'll be on Netflix/prime/Disney plus.  Wait a bit longer and it might be on iplayer. The exact same film, but cheaper. 

If you're really concerned about paying more than you think you could,  only play game pass games or wait for 3/4 years for the price to drop on games that aren't added.

It's not a waste of money if you want to play the game now, because the only way to play it now is to pay now. If it's not worth the cost of entry, don't pay it. :)

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Folks, I bounced off hard on Bloodborne as I couldn't work out the mechanics - it felt like I had to have lightning reflexes to stand a chance.

I realise this is the same, but - can anyone give tips on how to "get good" so to speak? I want to buy this. I want to like this. PLEASE.

The start of Bloodborne is, in many ways, the hardest part of the game as the character is so weak, the enemies so (relatively) strong, and the player so unfamiliar with the world and it’s systems.

You are supposed to die over and over and over as that is how the game teaches you the mechanics which does make the early game spectacularly brutal but, ultimately, all the better for it as those that persevere will build up the base level of skills and knowledge to push on a little bit further with each attempt. I don’t think it’s so much about lightning reflexes, as I certainly don’t have them, instead it is all about practice and being undeterred by dying. In these games to die is not to fail or lose, it is to learn and improve. 

Once the initial breakthrough in the game is made your life does become a lot easier as the paths multiply and the ability to over level or even summon NPC or human help comes into play.

Sorry, I realise that is pretty much the usual ‘git gud’ but it’s been hard to avoid that initial harshness in Soulsborne games. Just know that once you break into them they all offer some of, if not, the most rewarding and exhilarating gameplay out there.

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

How is it better? Performance?

I wasn't going to get this, but then seeing the reviews, and the fact it's £45 on Amazon for PS5 (two thirds the price of a first party PS5 game 🤔 ) I've taken the plunge and ordered for delivery tomorrow.

My Souls history is not good - started but not got far in Demons, Dark and Bloodbourne.  Maybe this time it'll be different.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, Oz said:

How is it better? Performance?

Yeah 10fps better frame rate on PS5, although that is probably pre-patch but even so given the option of either it seems like the more sensible option. 

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think it's fairly surprising - there are more Xbox owners on the forum than PS5 according to this poll: 

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/324614-a-year-in-what-do-you-think-of-the-next-gen-consoles/

At this rate, the PS4 copy I ordered this morning will be here before the PS5 that I ordered last week, so I PS4 for now, I guess.... Unless I just buy a cheap Series X digital code from Argentina an get that downloaded ASAP....