IGNORED

Elden Ring: exciting performance & technical chat (Frame Souls)

Jamie John

What system will you be using to play Elden Ring?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

I wasn't going to get this, but then seeing the reviews, and the fact it's £45 on Amazon for PS5 (two thirds the price of a first party PS5 game 🤔 ) I've taken the plunge and ordered for delivery tomorrow.

I did the same. It raised a smile to see the 16 month old Demon's Souls remake more expensive than this.

13 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

PS4 Pro. I don't mind if there are technical drawbacks - the more King's Field, the better.

OG PS4 here. A little bit of jank adds some character - bit of that Blighttown nostalgia will feel good!

Digital Xbox SX and the one time I buy a multiformat game on the X it’s the other console they say I should’ve have got it on. Old enough to remember the wild cries that the extra flops or whatever will be putting the ps5 in the dirt. Not that I’d notice the 10 fewer frames a second anyway.

Is this going to be anus on last gen if it’s struggling on PC. I assume digital foundary stuff will come later?

I’d discounted getting it but my wife is going out tomorrow…

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I think it's been discussed extensively,  but if there's nothing you want to play on gamepass or you really want to play a new game,  then buy the thing you want to play. You can't do it any other way.

When you buy tickets for the cinema,  you pay to see that film, that day. If you wait a month or two, you'll be able to stream it for less money. Wait a bit longer and it'll be on Netflix/prime/Disney plus.  Wait a bit longer and it might be on iplayer. The exact same film, but cheaper. 

If you're really concerned about paying more than you think you could,  only play game pass games or wait for 3/4 years for the price to drop on games that aren't added.

It's not a waste of money if you want to play the game now, because the only way to play it now is to pay now. If it's not worth the cost of entry, don't pay it. :)

You can protect your investment somewhat by getting physical, been as low as £40 I think?

Not that it helps me on Xbox as I have a series S.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think it's fairly surprising - there are more Xbox owners on the forum than PS5 according to this poll: 

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/324614-a-year-in-what-do-you-think-of-the-next-gen-consoles/

Not really. Remember casual gamers (i.e. not us) make up the vast majority of people who own consoles, and the big casual games like FIFA and CoD are bigger on the Playstation than the Xbox.

e.g.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

This is capped at 60fps on PC and has stuttering and serious frame pacing issues.

Oof.

Here's hoping that day one patch sorts it out because if not that's shocking.

Yep but as you said without Day 1 patch. Which confirms framerate/stuttering improvement.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-version-102

We have started distributing a patch to improve the stability of the gameplay. We apologize for the inconvenience, but please apply the latest patch before playing the game. 

When this patch is applied, the version on the bottom right of the title screen will read as follows: 

App Ver. 1.02
Regulation Ver. 1.02.1 

Major items included in the latest update: 

Improved player controls 

Addition and adjustment of BGM 

Text adjustments 

Balance adjustments 

NPC event fixes and adjustments 

Fixed frame rate drops under certain conditions 

Fixed text bug in some languages 

Fixed a bug that prevented the Xbox wireless headset from working properly 

I'd wait for DF verdict and ignore the early impressions as they are going to report on Day 1 patch onwards only. 

Jason Schrier who has a very mid range PC by todays standards said it felt smoother to him than PS5 so he went back to PC.

12 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Main topic is now unsafe; has anyone mentioned / confirmed that it supports the 3D audio stuff that the PS5 headset does?

I'm guessing the main topic is now spoiler central. I'm just in here for PC performance chat. Not that it makes a difference as it's my platform of choice regardless.

Hmmm, in order to decide, I want to know about what the Dual Sense brings to the game, versus what VRR does to the perceived frame rate in the Series X version.

If VRR makes the frame rate seem smooth, then that may be enough for me to go Xbox. But if the Dual Sense implementation is good, and the PS5 frame rate is going to remain better, it may be a win for PS5. A tough decision at the moment.

53 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Main topic is now unsafe; has anyone mentioned / confirmed that it supports the 3D audio stuff that the PS5 headset does?

It doesn't do 3d audio at launch. There was a suggestion they were doing ps5 haptic stuff though. Not seen confirmation of that though as haven't read reviews. 

John DF is saying Xbox performance mode with VRR is his choice at the moment but all of the options are far from perfect.

Sony really need to pull their finger out when it comes to VRR on PS5. If you don't have a VRR TV then it seems like PS5 performance edges it due to a higher but still unstable average frame-rate.

3 hours ago, Giddas said:

You can protect your investment somewhat by getting physical, been as low as £40 I think?

Not that it helps me on Xbox as I have a series S.

If you can be bothered to fiddle about with a VPN, you can buy a code from south america for about £30 from Eneba.  

15 minutes ago, DC said:

If I wanted to get a current gen machine for this, 5 or Series X, that’s laughable, yeah? A quick Google suggested it wasn’t on the cards.

I was wondering similar; I could get this for my OneX but probably better waiting til I have a SeriesX and getting the benefits of all the better performance and visuals on my LG CX.  Cant find one in stock though

Have not played any of the souls games but probably wouldn't like them so Elden Ring might not actually be.  I do love exploring in open world games so would like to give it a try at some point

5 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I was wondering similar; I could get this for my OneX but probably better waiting til I have a SeriesX and getting the benefits of all the better performance and visuals on my LG CX.  Cant find one in stock though

Have not played any of the souls games but probably wouldn't like them so Elden Ring might not actually be.  I do love exploring in open world games so would like to give it a try at some point

DF seem to not even talk about last gen in that article above, so I’m assuming it might be quite the compromise. I love these games.

A day before I'm still on the fence to either start the PS4 version on the PS5 - or the native PS5 version. 

PS5 version has one major advantage over all - the load times. But I can't stand janky framerates so it might be PS4 version

If I go PS4 version and they end up fixing the PS5's performance mode to do a fixed 60fps (unlikely) then I can treat the PS5 version as a remaster :)

I'm not sure yet if you can load saves between versions. It might be possible to import a PS4 save to the PS5 version, but not the other way around (due to how the storage works on the PS5)

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

A day before I'm still on the fence to either start the PS4 version on the PS5 - or the native PS5 version. 

PS5 version has one major advantage over all - the load times. But I can't stand janky framerates so it might be PS4 version

If I go PS4 version and they end up fixing the PS5's performance mode to do a fixed 60fps (unlikely) then I can treat the PS5 version as a remaster :)

I'm not sure yet if you can load saves between versions. It might be possible to import a PS4 save to the PS5 version, but not the other way around (due to how the storage works on the PS5)

Why don’t you start with the PS5 version and see how you get on with it for yourself first?

11 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I’m not sure yet if you can load saves between versions. It might be possible to import a PS4 save to the PS5 version, but not the other way around (due to how the storage works on the PS5)

You can indeed take a save from PS4 to PS5, but not the other way.