IGNORED

Elden Ring: exciting performance & technical chat (Frame Souls)

Jamie John

What system will you be using to play Elden Ring?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I only played 90 minutes on the XSX, but performance seemed fine to me. It basically looks like DS3, but open world. The draw distance isn't the best, and there's some noticeable pop-in, and after Blue Point's lavish Demon's Souls remaster, it's a significant step down. But I don't really care.

Play a bit longer. Rain hurts the fps quite a bit (Although the very windy area does nothing) and there's a watery area later on that has constant fps issues. Also it'll sometimes just randomly hit the fps in specific areas randomly and inconsistently (As in. if you go back there later it'll be fine). There are definitely significant issues. 

*Edit* Which I'll say didn't stop me playing until nearly 3am this morning

A so called fix that has arisen (originally a Sekiro fix). I can't see how this works unless it's a polling timer/issue associated with some hardware connected to the PC.

Launch Device Manager by Win + X > Device Manager or from the Start Menu. 

Expand Software devices to see Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator. 

Right-click Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, Disable.

A lot of people are having trouble getting joypads to work. You should remove any joypad emulating software or hacks that get certain pads to work. Additionally, the game seems to be enumerating USB devices incorrectly, so try removing external USB devices if your joypad is failing.

I suppose USB related software could also cause this, like Logitech gaming software. It installs a virtual keyboard driver to allow custom button to key macros which could be assumed to be a joypad to a badly coded app.

What a weird place to find issues, god knows how anyone diagnoses something like that.

A quick google suggests similar things have come up on non-from games on occasion (Tekken being the first hit from reddit I get) - if there is past precedent for this in other games I'm wondering if that will give any indication of how easy a proper fix is to roll out.

16 minutes ago, yashiro said:

A so called fix that has arisen (originally a Sekiro fix). I can't see how this works unless it's a polling timer/issue associated with some hardware connected to the PC.

A lot of people are having trouble getting joypads to work. You should remove any joypad emulating software or hacks that get certain pads to work. Additionally, the game seems to be enumerating USB devices incorrectly, so try removing external USB devices if your joypad is failing.

I suppose USB related software could also cause this, like Logitech gaming software. It installs a virtual keyboard driver to allow custom button to key macros which could be assumed to be a joypad to a badly coded app.

What does the above fix exactly?

I wonder if this is why the R2 button didn't work on my PS4 controller. Only things connected to my PC are an MS wireless mouse USB dongle. I used Bluetooth for the pad.

After trying on my living room setup (2080TI, I9 9900K, 32GB 3600mhz, NVMe, C1) and being extremely pleased at everything max and 4K, mostly 60fps besides what seems to be the odd engine derived stutter I'm about to test my bedroom setup, see how that goes.

3060, I5 10600, 16GB 2666mhz, SSD, non Gsync Q9FN. Hoping for similar performance but at 1080p all maxed out, perhaps 1440p. We'll see.

EDIT. Petty great, as good as my living room performance only at 1080p. Yeah, there are engine hitches but very, very minor and hopefully they'll get sorted but overall I'm not seeing the problems reported, thankfully. This is overworld and inside, in fights and not. Nothing to do with the game, but man my Q9FN is pretty rubs for scaling 1080p to 4k, at least in certain games. Need to fiddle with some settings.

Played a few hours on PC (12600k, 32GB ram at 3000mhz, RTX 3080 stock and Gsync on) not really had any issues. Maybe saw one or two instances of very minor stutter. 4k maxed out.

There's a good 4 or 5 different community fix 'theories' currently going around on the main ER reddit if anyone is stuck for ideas.

Generally positive feedback for the most part, although with the nature of the problem I suppose its possible these improvements are just placebo effects of playing long enough for the cache to build. But they MIGHT have found some legit workarounds.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Can saves be freely shared between the PS4 and PS5 versions? I'd happily play a bit lower quality to stabilise the frame rate.

I believe you can only transfer saves one way, from PS4 to PS5.

I'd love them to spell out what the exact issue is when they do fix it (and they better) because there are so many people saying 'I have x gpu / y cpu and it does/doesnt work for me' that it must be one of the supposed dx12 caching issues or somesuch. In which case you'd think just having it frontload all that shit would be the obvious fix? How implementable is that?

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Can saves be freely shared between the PS4 and PS5 versions? I'd happily play a bit lower quality to stabilise the frame rate.

No. It’s annoying that they don’t just have an super framerate prioritise option on the PS5 for those that want it, basically scaling the quality down to the PS4 version.

19 minutes ago, dizogg said:

No. It’s annoying that they don’t just have an super framerate prioritise option on the PS5 for those that want it, basically scaling the quality down to the PS4 version.

I don't mind starting again as I can probably do the 3 hours in 20 mins, before eventually switching to the PS5 version if and when it improves.

How to disable EAC in Elden Ring

1. Go to the Steam library location where you installed Elden Ring.
  2. Go to steamapps > ELDEN RING > game.
  3. Rename start_protected_game.exe to something else. (I added "_original" to the end of the file name.)
  4. Make a copy of elden_ring.exe.
  5. Rename this newly made copy to start_protected_game.exe.
  6. Run the game through Steam as normal.

Alternative method.

1. Create a .txt file and name it steam_appid.txt and put it into the same folder as eldenring.exe.
  2. Open it and add the string of numbers "1245620" (without quotes) to the file.
  3. Launch the game by clicking on the exe file. DO NOT launch it through steam, it won't work if you do.

This could be problematic if you intend to revert this change and go online with your save in the future.

Probably not worth the hassle. Just wait for Bamco to fix the game.

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

Performance? It's shite. Really shite. It's causes actual gameplay issues and makes it a pain. On every single platform. 

10/10

PS4 version on PS5 seems to be basically flawless 60fps (including in rain) minus a bit of foliage pop-in.

I did a couple of hours on PS5 performance mode and I found the judder to be quite distracting. I’ve started again using the PS4 version and it does indeed seem to be buttery smooth. Loading times seem equally short which is nice. I think I’ll keep playing this way for now and see if any future patches improve the PS5 version. 

I'm three and a half hours in and haven't encountered any issues playing on performance road on XSX. Granted, I've got an LG OLED which (I think) has VRR, but I haven't noticed anything untoward so far, even with lots of weather effects and various things going on.