IGNORED

Elden Ring: exciting performance & technical chat (Frame Souls)

Jamie John

What system will you be using to play Elden Ring?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm three and a half hours in and haven't encountered any issues playing on performance road on XSX. Granted, I've got an LG OLED which (I think) has VRR, but I haven't noticed anything untoward so far, even with lots of weather effects and various things going on.

Quoted to agree. Though just shy of 3hrs. 

6 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Quoted to agree. Though just shy of 3hrs. 

already in the first forest in the open area you there are severe slowdowns in fps. if you don't notice them you have vrr on your screen or you are indifferent to them. the fps bounces between 40-60fps and is far from stable on XSX. 

2 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

already in the first forest in the open area you there are severe slowdowns in fps. if you don't notice them you have vrr on your screen or you are indifferent to them. the fps bounces between 40-60fps and is far from stable on XSX. 

I has the VRR's 

Variable refresh rate isn’t going to mask framerate drops. It’s going to stop screentearing when the frames being output don’t match the refresh rate of the display.

Anyway, given the PC version is actually unplayable at the moment I’ve ordered the PS4 version. 

In a way the tech talk actually makes me MORE want to buy the game, just to do the coin-toss of seeing whether my system is affected by the framerate issues or not. I'm curious now. But then again I dont really want to give a dev money before theyve fixed a problem, as it sets a bad precedent.

As I've said before. I'm playing on SX with VRR and the game definitely has a lot of fps drops. You'll definitely see it when it's raining and the particular area I'm exploring in now constantly runs at a lot less than 60.

12 minutes ago, Moz said:

Variable refresh rate isn’t going to mask framerate drops. It’s going to stop screentearing when the frames being output don’t match the refresh rate of the display.

Anyway, given the PC version is actually unplayable at the moment I’ve ordered the PS4 version. 

VRR Syncs GPU to Refresh rate of screen. I.E Gpu outputs 46fps, screen will sync 46hz.  It has nothing to do with stopping screen tearing, If frame rate goes outside max refresh rate, you will still get tearing regardless. Only way to stop tearing is enable v sync along side or cap frame frame.  As Digital foundry said VRR does help smooth frame drops, but any sudden big drops you will still notice.

Not had any frame drops on PS5 so far, other than when you spin the camera around in certain places, then it drops the odd frame. Running across the map there is pop up and draw in at very close range which is pretty shocking and brings back memories of Morrowind on 360. Also, the draw distance is nowhere near as good as BOTW at least in the starting area. Other than that, it looks nice in places (garish in others) but last gen. Indoor environments are better than the overworld.

I've really not got many noticeable drops on PC but that might be gsync/VRR smoothing out some stuff. Definitely noticed it here and there if I suddenly turned the camera in a circle but outside of that really struggled to notice it which is odd because once I know something might be happening, I tend to see it more!

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

VRR Syncs GPU to Refresh rate of screen. I.E Gpu outputs 46fps, screen will sync 46hz.  It has nothing to do with stopping screen tearing, If frame rate goes outside max refresh rate, you will still get tearing regardless. Only way to stop tearing is enable v sync along side or cap frame frame.  As Digital foundry said VRR does help smooth frame drops, but any sudden big drops you will still notice.

It won’t “go outside” max refresh because the game is hardcapped at 60 and the CX is a 120hz panel. Screentearing happens when the framerate exceeds the refresh rate but also when the frames being output are not in sync with the refresh rate of the panel. The point of VRR/gsync/freesync is to eliminate screentearing below the refresh rate/fps cap by syncing refresh to framerate. The most important thing to remember though is that From games in particular have terrible frame timing, which isn’t the same thing as frame rate or refresh rate.

11 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I've really not got many noticeable drops on PC but that might be gsync/VRR smoothing out some stuff. Definitely noticed it here and there if I suddenly turned the camera in a circle but outside of that really struggled to notice it which is odd because once I know something might be happening, I tend to see it more!

Fuck sake. Posted this, loaded up the game and it was RIFE with it when it was barely there before. One of those giant thingies was in a field and the game hitched in the middle of an attack which meant I died lol.

I have no idea why the first few hours were relatively issue free but then upon entering Stormhill (an early area) and now it was regularly hitching.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

Thank you very much for playing ELDEN RING and for your feedback.

We are currently experiencing some issues that are preventing the game from playing properly under some conditions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and ask for your patience.

Main items to be revised

Regarding the problem of the mouse being too sensitive in the PC version

We will be sending out a patch for this issue in the near future.

Regarding the problem of Easy Anti-Cheat failing to launch when the Steam account name includes a multi-byte character (e.g., kanji).

We are aware of the cause of this issue and will be providing a patch in the near future.

Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplay

We will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.

For the PC version, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version may significantly improve performance.

About the phenomenon of game data that does not save correctly in the PlayStation 5 version

If the PS5 console is unexpectedly turned off while playing a game or in rest mode, saved data may not be saved correctly.

We are aware of the cause of this issue and are working on a patch to correct it, but until the patch is released, please save your game manually by exiting the game regularly.

Game data will be saved correctly if you quit the game by opening the system menu using the OPTION button and selecting "Quit Game,” then press the HOME button to return to the PS5 home screen and quit the game application once.

We are also working on a few other bug fixes and performance improvements as needed. Please don’t hesitate to contact our support team if you encounter other issues.

I still can't get online at all, I just get an immediate 'Failed Network Test' - I kinda wanna play it online. No idea what the MS refund policy is but if it's not working as intended....

I've done a fair bit of fiddling in between work tasks today as I didn't like the 'Bloodborne' mode 30fps I was playing in via forced half-refresh vsync in NVidia control panel.. 

My poor old i7 4770k,  I think he's the culprit more than my GTX970.

Through some extensive tests, it seems that no matter what I try, the frame rate in the open field area near the start of the game just won't go higher than about 45-50 fps.  Well, aside from when I look straight down or up, lol! 

Every graphic setting on low?  Same result. 

Every graphic setting on max? Pretty much same result, maybe around 40-45 instead. 

Dropping resolution? Exactly the same result. 

It's bizarre!! 

Thankfully I discovered the 'fast' setting in NV control panel Vsync, which does a pretty good job of avoid tearing.  I'm going to keep experimenting with the max frames ahead etc, though I can't seem them making much difference, the problem clearly seems to be the CPU can't send stuff to the GPU fast enough. 

It's definitely playable enough for me though.  :D

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Are you trying to boot it out of instant resume? Sometimes the online portions of games fails to work when you use instant resume. Try quitting the game and starting it fresh. 

Nope, hasn't worked since I booted it up. Reset console, wired it up, reset wifi password, tried it all. 

Assumed it was just the servers were overloaded but seems to be a very localised issue. Localised to me mainly. :(

16 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Nope, hasn't worked since I booted it up. Reset console, wired it up, reset wifi password, tried it all. 

Assumed it was just the servers were overloaded but seems to be a very localised issue. Localised to me mainly. :(

That is odd. I’ve had it where I says it can’t connect but I just keep clicking it over and over until it works - usually takes a few goes but then it gets in. 

17 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Me too 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

That is odd. I’ve had it where I says it can’t connect but I just keep clicking it over and over until it works - usually takes a few goes but then it gets in. 

Mine says that the network test has failed.

Console is online and works for every other game I've tried.

8 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Mine says that the network test has failed.

Console is online and works for every other game I've tried.

Yay! 

Sorry, was feeling like it just me. 

I was on Destiny for 3 hours before I booted this up last night without a hitch.  I’m on Wi-Fi but it’s always rock solid. 

Think I’ll try a reinstall later as a last gasp. 

Have you guys just tried disconnecting your xbox from the Internet so the game launches in offline mode? 

There's an option ERs network setting that stops it connecting automatically so you can then put you xbox back online and avoid this in future. 

I mean you'd have to play offline that way, not ideal, but you could at least play the thing!