Pokémon Scarlet/Violet - 2022

deKay

58 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

My son is approaching 15 and he’s still excited about Pokémon. Saved up to get Scarlet on release.

Obviously all kids are different but it’s not going to be specifically related to age if he went off Pokémon.

Glad to hear it. I just hope it's not considered 'uncool' at high school. I imagine it's a different world than my school days. Hopefully. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Too old? There's fifty year olds in here playing it!

It's ok I'm 42 and I'm busy collecting He-Man figures. I just remember the school yard days when you just try and fit in. Code of the school yard - always make fun of those different than you.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It's ok I'm 42 and I'm busy collecting He-Man figures. I just remember the school yard days when you just try and fit in. Code of the school yard - always make fun of those different than you.

Thought it was for your son🤔😁.

Can someone please give me a bit of advice as I know absolutely fuck all about Pokémon.

Both my boys are well into it at the moment and they both have a Switch each, so I was thinking of getting them this for Christmas, but I have a few questions…

Are there two games, scarlet and violet?

Should I be getting scarlet for one and violet for the other, or will they both need both games?

If I only got them one each, would they be able to play multiplayer with each other, assuming it even has multiplayer?

Does it link in any way to the cards or Pokémon go?

I think that’s it for now, but if there’s any other info that I might find useful, please let me know.

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Anyone else got questions the answer to which have more-or-less been the same for the past 25 years?

Sorry for asking :(

I wasn't sure, with the advent of online gaming, paid subscription accounts, and mobile gaming, what to expect. Cleary fan attitudes haven't moved on in a quarter of a century.

27 minutes ago, revlob said:

I wasn't sure, with the advent of online gaming, paid subscription accounts, and mobile gaming, what to expect. Cleary fan attitudes haven't moved on in a quarter of a century.

It's more that the game ls haven't changed in a quarter of a century. The trading mechanics are basically same as day one.

Not saying you should know that or not ask. But the result can be this rolly-eyes response because everyone should know.

2 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I think next year you will be able to connected it to Pokemon Home and then transfer Pokemon from Go into the games.

How lovely that you have to wait a year (or a bit less) to link this with the paid for service. I guess maybe there's some fake made up reason it couldn't be done for release. But as usual massive multimillion dollar blockbuster studio game freak does the bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

How lovely that you have to wait a year (or a bit less) to link this with the paid for service. I guess maybe there's some fake made up reason it couldn't be done for release. But as usual massive multimillion dollar blockbuster studio game freak does the bare minimum.

It'll be so you don't have people smashing thru the game with already high level Pokemon, which is fair enough, paid for however.

10 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

It'll be so you don't have people smashing thru the game with already high level Pokemon, which is fair enough, paid for however.

But in a few months it will be okay for people to do that on the day they buy it?

Simply build a system that prevents that. Like I dunno... Needing certain numbers of gym badges to control Pokémon over a certain level 🤔

14 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

It's more that the game ls haven't changed in a quarter of a century. The trading mechanics are basically same as day one.

That's not just a disappointing sentiment, it's also objectively incorrect. I might not know my Evees from my EVs, but even I know that there are new features. Bank, Home, Go, have all changed what's possible since the days of using a link cable in a playground.

13 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

More likely it’s to test and fix holes  in the system to stop cloned / hacked Pokemon and items being uploaded to Home. This was the reason for the delay with Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl.

Just now, revlob said:

That's not just a disappointing sentiment, it's also objectively incorrect. I might not know my Evees from my EVs, but even I know that there are new features. Bank, Home, Go, have all changed what's possible since the days of using a link cable in a playground.

Really?

The physical ways I connect to others players has of course changed but it still needs two consoles and two copies of the game doesn't it?

I cannot pop a Pikachu in the post in game to my sister and have her log in on here account on the same console and retrieve it later.

12 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I cannot pop a Pikachu in the post in game to my sister and have her log in on here account on the same console and retrieve it later.

That's the point I guess as you can send stuff like that to people in other games, the console doesn't matter it's the account that's important. So if someone hasn't played before or maybe tried red/blue on the gameboy and not much since them it's a reasonable question I thought?

1 hour ago, revlob said:

Oh man, I wasn’t having a go at you, or anyone. It’s just that the games have changed disappointingly little in 25 years. 

Lack of winking smiley has turned my good-natured jibe into a declaration of war. 

Let’s just get the next one out of the way - water is good against fire; fire is good against grass and; grass is good against water. 

;)

Edit - actually, I retract use of the word “disappointing”. There are very good reasons why each new Pokémon game is fundamentally the same as it’s predecessor. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

[Does it link in any way to the cards or Pokémon go?]  No

This isn't quite strictly true, on top of the already mentioned HOME stuff that is to come, there is the Gimmighoul thing to be added next year too.

I suppose isn't much more than nothing, but still..

Next year, following the release of Pokemon Scarlet And Violet, players will be able to link their game to Pokemon GO in order to receive Roaming Form Gimmighoul in the mobile game. This is the form of Gimmighoul that was seen spawning from Golden Pokestops earlier this weekend. However, it is explicitly stated that this link will not allow players to transfer their Pokemon directly from Pokemon GO to Scarlet/Violet, a feat which will presumably only be possible when the latter receives compatibility with Pokemon HOME.

Also, this just arrived!

I'm part excited, part deflated as half of it is an xmas gift for my wife, so of course, I can't play it until she has it, so I'll be ejecting myself from this thread for 5 weeks!

image.thumb.png.8fd8cda9fd1f15198f5eccd6599081bc.png

IMPORTANT:

I fell off a roof. Not only did the fall not kill me, a menu flashed up saying "Press Y to go back up", which admittedly gave me the annoying "Go back to where you were before you fell?" prompt but basically needs to be in more games from this day forth. No skill was required to get up there, just exploration. I've seen items that I'm now wondering "How do I get there?" about, and that can only be a good sign.

I've played to the first city, and while I can see why reviewers have made mention of the frame rates for animation in the distance, and stutters while panning or textures up-close, I don't think any of it really matters that much. Yes, we're used to so much more polished works these days, but your kids won't care at all. They'll be too excited seeing a couple of Pachirisu playing by a tree. As, indeed, was I! 

You know what does matter? The world. It is MASSIVE. Forget what you saw in Arceus, even, it's far bigger. Even the first city is bigger than anything you've seen in a Pokemon game before now. And, none of it appears to be gated off. There are story scenes, which are used to introduce catching, battling, etc., but this is just to be expected. But I have learned things I hadn't been told about the game from just doing what I always do, which is trying to go the wrong way. 

See you out there, I guess. HASTA LA VISTAR!

ShopTo dispatched my order yesterday but I won't be able to play it this weekend. It made it a far as a sorting office in Northampton and no further. It's being sent to to my work address so I won't get to play it this weekend which is annoying because I like the start date on the Trainer Card to be the day the game launched. 

5 hours ago, revlob said:

Do you need two Switches to do trading locally? My kids have asked for Pokémon this year, but we only have a single console.

We traded Pokemon locally in Pokemon Sword using the Pokemon Home app. I could take mons out of the box on my save and put them in a box on his save. It's not a terribly well advertised feature, but was very useful for rounding out his Pokedex.

Probably going to get this at Christmas for the kids, hopefully it'll have had a few performance patches by then.

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Anyone else got questions the answer to which have more-or-less been the same for the past 25 years?

How come if ash has been on adventures for so long he still uses shite base Pokémon and they still lose?? 

Did he ever shag misty?

Why isnt Brock in jail?

Is professor oak ash's real dad?

Is cubone a kengaskhan baby that fell out?

Did they mix up the evolutions of metapod and kakuna?