The gaming subscription service thread (Game Pass, PS+ etc)

Thread Owner

Reservations? It’s a games subscription service. Join or don’t. 

All this, but yeah what if it goes bad, posts, must be what you’re talking about. I don’t know. 

I’m off to play Uncharted Legacy of Thieves, which now plays at higher frame rates and resolutions, cost me a tenner for that, but I’ll let them off because it’s probably pro consumer and I just don’t realise. 

59 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

OK.

I think Game Pass looks really good. If I had an Xbox and had time to play the games I'd love it.

I also get why so many people have reservations about it.

I piped up because anyone who said anything that could be perceived as negative had a handful of the same people saying it's impossible to see Game Pass as a bad thing. And I thought that was shitty, bad-faith behaviour.

Can you understand that some of us also saw the same people pop up and tell us how game pass was shit value, the games on were shit and not for them again. Just like every other thread where gamepass news comes along.  I love it. So good, much discussion!

Because I piped up those same people then told me it's impossible to see Game Pass as a bad thing.

Yeah and those same usual suspects then started going on about GamePass loyalists and evangelists becuase some people get great value from it and tried top discuss it.

The only thing that's changed is I now think the Game Pass fans are being dicks about a good service.

The fact that so far you've only noticed one side of this bs (from both sides) says a lot. 

Can we go back talking about the activision blizzard buyout now, because you're right, no one's mind is going to be changed.    I'm just going to assume there's something wrong with the brains of people who claim that GamePass is bad value and those same people can assume that I worship Microsoft.

7 hours ago, Graham S said:

The sort of developers making the sort of games I like do seem to do pretty well on Game Pass at the moment. But then Sony were great with indies on the PS Vita and at the beginning of the PS4 generation, then they stopped needing them and no longer treat them well in terms of money and visibility and access to their platforms. Since 2009-2010 Microsoft has oscillated between being great for devs and games, to closing studios and pursuing the dream of the casual gamer, to Uncle Phil making our dreams come true. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume things can change again.

I see what you've been saying over the last few posts, but my counter point is that no one makes games for Game Pass other than Microsoft (in-house or under contract, like Flight Sim), right? "Day one" and all that jazz. Everyone else just makes games, for a variety of platforms. I'm guessing some launch on GP on the day they launch on other platforms, but I don't pay enough attention. 

Could Game Pass shape what content Microsoft output? I've genuinely no idea. Hopefully for the better. If you're in for $68bn you may as well be in for a bit more and let your metric tonne of studios have at it with creativity.

Could Game Pass shape what everyone else makes? Because, it's not really Microsoft making the indie stuff is it, by definition. And I don't really think so, unless GP income becomes a big enough percentage versus physical/digital sales on all the platforms, including Xbox. Is it even likely to get to that stage? Feels like they'd all just have equivalent Game Pass sub services at that point. Like, a Hades gets made whether or not it did well on Game Pass, right? In fact, smaller studios probably need it to do well on one platform before making a port, I guess.

Unless I've just missed what you were going for, sorry.

12 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I have to hold my hands up here because I have a rule to never enter any thread where there’s a chance of any Xbox v PlayStation arguments because it’s so fucking embarrassing - and yet I waded in and engaged.

At least I’ve learned a lesson.

I don’t think there’s any need to feel embarrassed, it’s inevitable I suppose that it does boil down to PlayStation vs Xbox, because in the end that’s what this power play move from MS is, a console a war. 

I always just try and focus on the positives; Game Pass will force Sony to offer a more value added subscription service, perhaps backwards compatibility too which has been rumoured. It’s all good for the consumer. 

It’s important to remember that all these companies want our money, and in the end it’s that competition which drives things forward and keeps things healthy. 

When we talk about Microsoft potentially slipping into Netflix mode, where people find most of the original content "OK", we're talking about Microsoft instructing all these studios they've bought to pad out Game Pass with "OK" content, right? Or are we also including the timed 3rd party stuff, which they don't develop but pay for to pad out the service?

There's a "what we have on Game Pass now" ... "what Netflix do" and I need someone to fill in the dots for me, please.

57 minutes ago, TehStu said:

When we talk about Microsoft potentially slipping into Netflix mode, where people find most of the original content "OK", we're talking about Microsoft instructing all these studios they've bought to pad out Game Pass with "OK" content, right? Or are we also including the timed 3rd party stuff, which they don't develop but pay for to pad out the service?

There's a "what we have on Game Pass now" ... "what Netflix do" and I need someone to fill in the dots for me, please.

I think I'm responsible for starting this comparison but my point has been slightly misconstrued. Or more likely I didn't make it clearly enough.

I'm not Chicken-Littling that Microsoft's first party is going to be full of mediocrity in the future. As others have said, they haven't made all these acquisitions to churn out crap.

The point I'm making is that Netflix haven't hit 220 million subs by only producing prestige tent pole releases. They've done it by producing such a wide range of content that they have something for practically everyone. But that also means that a lot of their content isn't necessarily well-regarded by people who expect everything to be a HBO production.

So to bring this back to Microsoft, a lot of people are looking at their first party and saying 'wow, they're going to be an FPS and WRPG powerhouse!' and I have no doubt that we will see plenty of great games come out of MS first party over the years that fit into those genres. But when you're taking about a subs service where you want to scale numbers to Netflix levels and maintain growth, that in itself isn't going to be enough. At some point, releasing a constant stream of FPS, WRPG and prestige tentpoles is going to drive you into a subscriber growth cul-de-sac. Because if there's one thing you need to show to investors when you're a subscription service it's constant growth. Even if you're Netflix and already comfortably market leader and have hundreds of millions of subs your share price can take a battering once growth starts plateauing.

It really depends how big MS want to scale this thing. But if they truly want to hit Netflix levels of market saturation they can't just churn out a regular stream of prestige titles. They will need to get their first party to diversify into more family games, kids games, service games and more casual experiences. 

I don't expect this to happen for some time because MS know the pain of losing the support of the core gamer and are still going all in on winning them back. But at some point their ambitions are going to have to force them to make a much broader range of games, which I expect will cause them a bit of a backlash in certain quarters, just as people get annoyed that great swathes of Netflix content are not aimed specifically at them and for good business reason.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I think I'm responsible for starting this comparison but my point has been slightly misconstrued. Or more likely I didn't make it clearly enough.

I see what you mean now, cheers.

Do they need to do that? I mean, they may do, and honestly I'd like to see them flesh out their Microsoft Casual Games (or at least, throw some folks at rewriting some of the more clunky existing ones). But if we consider the 1st/2nd party output to be the prestige titles, then does the diversification not also come from the 3rd party titles which come and go? They could definitely let all these new 1st party studios go wild with creativity on smaller titles, to allow for that diversification. I wonder, though, if they just already have it. There's already a bit of pretty much everything there over time. Although, yeah, it would help to have a range of stuff which finds a permanent home.

17 hours ago, mushashi said:

I dunno, I look at Netflix's industry-leading annual original content spend and what they actually produce and say I'd rather they spent HBO money and do some actual QC and downsizing on their output. I'd imagine over time that 'Netflix' quality will be good enough to keep most people happy enough to keep subscribed compared to pushing harder and aiming for HBO quality.

Seems rather shitty to quote my post and then cut out the part where I pointed out that Microsoft could have purchased far more development studios for less money if their main aim was just to get as much content as possible.