The gaming subscription service thread (Game Pass, PS+ etc)

Thread Owner

51 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Clearly a joke post! Top stuff!

Seriously though, Returnal is as AAA and next gen as it gets. Best game I’ve ever played. It’s a beauty!  It’s the exact kind of game Microsoft need to be getting behind. Stuff that’s pushing forwards.......not stuff that’s treading water or is living firmly in the past. How many studios have Microsoft now got that aren’t releasing any decent games anytime soon? Here’s a good idea.......how about buying some more studios to not release any decent games anytime soon. Sounds like a plan!!!

You enjoy getting your 69.99 worth by playing returnal against for the twelfth time and crying about ms whilst I go play the whole cod back catalogue, blizz catalogue, bathesda catalogue and loads of actual AAA titles with my gamepass subscription. 

Sony have killed themselves this gem and ms have played some utter blinders. For the gamers. 

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

You enjoy getting your 69.99 worth by playing returnal against for the twelfth time and crying about ms whilst I go play the whole cod back catalogue, blizz catalogue, bathesda catalogue and loads of actual AAA titles with my gamepass subscription. 

Sony have killed themselves this gem and ms have played some utter blinders. For the gamers. 

Surely most adults on here have the money for both ps & Xbox with game pass. Won’t be playing the cod back catalogue unless MS pay me 70bn, I like game pass for the indie games weirdly.

2 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Surely most adults on here have the money for both ps & Xbox with game pass. Won’t be playing the cod back catalogue unless MS pay me 70bn, I like game pass for the indie games weirdly.

not really - then you get 'time poor' adults with kids, where there's no actual point buying two machines.  I was really trying to get a PS5, gave up and got an S on a whim.  It's a great machine and I don't really feel the 'need' for a PS5 any more.  The only thing I actually want it for is the UHD player.  I might just buy a standalone panasonic one or something.

Even the salty fanboy idiot from earlier didn't like Returnal.

Oh and "Sony iz racist"

His rant wouldn't have happened if it was on Gamepass as you can't refund a free game!

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Rallisport Challenge was made by DICE. Good reason to buy EA!

Hahaha. Yeah, slipped into the 3rd party exclusives there. Don’t get me started on those! Ninja Gaiden and NG Black were absolute class on Xbox and the Sega stuff was quality too. 2022 and it’s all about........Activision. Fuck’s sake!

1 minute ago, Blunted said:

I own neither a PS5 or a Series console and therefore am just here for the popcorn, but could you have a quick look in your crystal ball for next week's lottery numbers for me please seeing as you know it's just going to be "cash cows for the casual gaming market" that will come from this.

Never been wrong with anything so far. PS1 beating out Sega. Sega going under. Microsoft getting into console gaming. PS3 being a disappointment. Nintendo dropping out of the graphics race. The Switch and combining their handheld market with home console market. Xbox One flop and it’s Kinect fuck up. Consoles pushing digital over physical.

Don’t think it takes a Crystal Ball to see what’s going on. Microsoft splashing massive amounts of cash on big casual games, and some pretty average IP, yet their own flagship games aren’t anywhere near the quality of the competition. Dirt cheap Netflix style subscription service. Think I’m pretty spot on. 

Think I’m spot on with Sony too. We’ll see quality over quantity and some fucking incredible AAA games that are up there with Returnal and a clear level above Microsoft’s offerings. Whether they can make that quality work whilst also maintaining huge sales and profit long term.......I’m not so sure. 

Here's the thing. I was thinking should I get rid of our PS5?

Not yet. My partner is essentially using it as her FF14 box. Nothing else gets a look in on the TV right now.

Otherwise Microsoft has already won the war in our household. Even though we don't own a Series S/X. Why? Look at my list of completed games last year. I finished 87 games last year. (Hey, I like short games, what can I say?)

31 of those were GamePass. The rest? Some old Steam games, some old arcade and C64 games and a couple of Playstation games.

Microsoft are getting subscription fees from me despite not owning their console. If MS managed to get FF14 and FF7 Remake on the Series X we'd ditch the PS5 tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Never been wrong with anything so far. PS1 beating out Sega. Sega going under. Microsoft getting into console gaming. PS3 being a disappointment. Nintendo dropping out of the graphics race. The Switch and combining their handheld market with home console market. Xbox One flop and it’s Kinect fuck up. Consoles pushing digital over physical.

I'm amazed MS or Sony haven't employed you with such amazing future vision.

3 minutes ago, Blunted said:

I'm amazed MS or Sony haven't employed you with such amazing future vision.

Shame for Microsoft that they didn’t, ‘cause I’d have put Kinect where it belonged - in the bin, along with the Xbox One and made sure that the 360 successor built on the strengths of the 360 itself.

Anyway, my Crystal Ball has spoken and so it shall be! Folk on here laughed when I said the Xbox One and Kinect were a big mistake and look how that turned out! Lol.

33 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Anyway, my Crystal Ball has spoken and so it shall be! Folk on here laughed when I said the Xbox One and Kinect were a big mistake and look how that turned out! Lol.

Can’t be arsed to engage with the rest but this is in particular is some truly top-tier trolling. Literally everyone called out the Xbox One as a mistake, many people predicting it would be a misfire before it was even unveiled based on industry rumours and the latter-day trajectory of the 360. Such clairvoyance.

Despite that I’m one of the very few people on here who still bought one at launch. Shame Dead Rising 3 was rubbish.

4 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Can’t be arsed to engage with the rest but this is in particular is some truly top-tier trolling. Literally everyone called out the Xbox One as a mistake, many people predicting it would be a misfire before it was even unveiled based on industry rumours the latter-day trajectory of the 360. Such clairvoyance.

Despite that I’m one of the very few people on here who actually bought one at launch. Shame Dead Rising 3 was rubbish.

Nope! The 360 was massively popular at the time.I loved it. Remember playing Forza Horizon with folk off here. The Xbox One and Kinect were revealed and everyone at the time said it was going to be proper awesome. I said that no fucker would want a camera on in their living room, recording audio and shit 24hrs a day invading their privacy, just to play some shitty waggle games. I was right AND the console was underpowered and had no games! Lol. Not too many people at the time saw the flop coming because of how popular the 360 was. Wasn’t until things started to go downhill that many people suddenly jumped ship.

Same with Returnal really.......loads of people were £70 and it’s not AAA and it’s a flop and Sony have sunk Housemarque for good sending them out to die. Now it’s their game of the year 2021! Lol.

Totally agree about Dead Rising though. Loved the first 2!

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Nope! The 360 was massively popular at the time.I loved it. Remember playing Forza Horizon with folk off here. The Xbox One and Kinect were revealed and everyone at the time said it was going to be proper awesome. I said that no fucker would want a camera on in their living room, recording audio and shit 24hrs a day invading their privacy, just to play some shitty waggle games. I was right AND the console was underpowered and had no games! Lol. Not too many people at the time saw the flop coming because of how popular the 360 was. Wasn’t until things started to go downhill that many people suddenly jumped ship.

Same with Returnal really.......loads of people were £70 and it’s not AAA and it’s a flop and Sony have sunk Housemarque for good sending them out to die. Now it’s their game of the year 2021! Lol.

Think the price was also a big thing - XBox One was £500 at release and PS4 £350. And Xbox One wasn't quite as powerful. You could just not use Kinect at all if you didn't want to. Think one of the biggest things was the bad publicity re "ownership" of games and killing the second hand market. Well they sorted that one out now with GP :D Funny how people were up in arms about it back then...  now they flock to GP. Different times different mindsets I guess. 

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Citation needed. Dig up the XB1 thread, it's here somewhere. I dropped the 360 (having owned 5 of them) and went PS4 on the back of the XB1 announcement.

Although, so many people now have 24/7 camera/microphones that the objections to Kinect seem quaint. In fact, Kinect wasn't doing what folks routinely now allow in their homes.

6 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The Xbox One and Kinect were revealed and everyone at the time said it was going to be proper awesome. I said that no fucker would want a camera on in their living room, recording audio and shit 24hrs a day invading their privacy, just to play some shitty waggle games. I was right

So you're saying that in general the RLLMUK hive mind was desperate for Kinect? RLLMUK?

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

It wasn't quite that bad it was £429 (it was $500 but then the PS4 was $400). It was still too expensive but not £150 more expensive.

Ah indeed it was the USD/Euro price I am thinking off.... Still a significant chunk of money which you could buy some games with I guess.

Yeah it was more expensive, less powerful, TV TV TV, mandatory Kinect, used games fiasco. The tide had turned on Xbox way before the XB1 even launched, you didn't have to be some kind of clairvoyant to see where things were headed before the machines were even on shelves. 

11 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Citation needed. Dig up the XB1 thread, it's here somewhere. I dropped the 360 (having owned 5 of them) and went PS4 on the back of the XB1 announcement.

Although, so many people now have 24/7 camera/microphones that the objections to Kinect seem quaint. In fact, Kinect wasn't doing what folks routinely now allow in their homes.

Yep. I had no interest in the Xbox at the time but the Bone announcement thread was comedy gold. The idea that the muk hive mind reacted with anything even vaguely approaching positivity towards the slow motion car crash being played out in real time is ludicrous. I think @CrichStand must be mixing us up with some other, less cynical forum.

And from that Xbox doc that's exactly how the rest of the online world reacted, and the way people inside Xbox reacted too. Don Mattrick still thought it was all pretty cool. I bet Boozy wasn't even into it. It's pretty much the furthest from a unique opinion as it's possible to get.

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Only 5?!?!? I had something daft like 14. I stopped gaming for ages when the last one broke. Then jumped ship to PS4 in order to play stuff like Uncharted that I’d never tried before.

Yep, I said at the time how things were going to go in future, with all the cameras and microphones and shit and people took the piss about that too! And now it’s happened and it’s just standard stuff for most folk. Proper nuts! Predicted how Facebook and Social Media would change people too.....and it has! Mark my words - Netflix style subscription, metric shit ton of cheap pap on it, most of it much of a muchness and watered down from what came before, in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Folk will lap it up. Look back at the 80s and 90s and the diversity. Then look at where we are now. Basically it’ll be the mainstream music industry all over again. Hopefully I’m wrong on this one though!

32 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The Xbox One and Kinect were revealed and everyone at the time said it was going to be proper awesome.

Who the fuck said Kinect was going to be awesome? 😂

Only 5?!?!? I had something daft like 14. I stopped gaming for ages when the last one broke. Then jumped ship to PS4 in order to play stuff like Uncharted that I’d never tried before.

Yeah I thought it was 6, but when I stopped flapping and objectively wrote out each machine I had, it turns out it was exaggerated in my mind slightly. 

(1. launch model died, 2. replacement DOA, 3. eventually sold second replacement to move country, 4. bought one in new country, eventually this died but I repaired it, 5. bought a 360E to replace #4 but it's fixed, so all cool)

Yep, I said at the time how things were going to go in future, with all the cameras and microphones and shit and people took the piss about that too! And now it’s happened and it’s just standard stuff for most folk. Proper nuts! Predicted how Facebook and Social Media would change people too.....and it has! Mark my words - Netflix style subscription, metric shit ton of cheap pap on it, most of it much of a muchness and watered down from what came before, in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Folk will lap it up. Look back at the 80s and 90s and the diversity. Then look at where we are now. Basically it’ll be the mainstream music industry all over again. Hopefully I’m wrong on this one though!

Wow, look at you go. 

{unicode gold star in large font}

I think you need to start digging out and quoting some of these exchanges before I ban you for trolling.

Exclamation mark!

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Who the fuck said Kinect was going to be awesome? 😂

I assume they mean Kinect 2 with the XB1. It's such an astonishingly implausible statement that it's hard to take seriously. Which, of course, we shouldn't. We keep a tediously old database going here so you can just go back and quote old posts, folks have no need to imply what the hive mind here stated on any specific thing.

Just now, Darren said:

I think you need to start digging out and quoting some of these exchanges before I ban you for trolling.

Exclamation mark!

The thread was full of people taking the piss and implying I was mentally ill. Probably loads of Aspie comments too. Rather just leave it at that to be fair. Not sure why there’s a sudden focus on me being some kind of Videogame Prophet, when what I’ve said is pretty obvious and a valid point of view that’s not harming anyone or causing any issues.

Why have you written exclamation mark?

40 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Go post on gamefaqs, youl find some excellent company there. Unless your too busy playing GOTY returnal.