The gaming subscription service thread (Game Pass, PS+ etc)

Thread Owner

17 minutes ago, Graham S said:

And from that Xbox doc that's exactly how the rest of the online world reacted, and the way people inside Xbox reacted too. Don Mattrick still thought it was all pretty cool. I bet Boozy wasn't even into it. It's pretty much the furthest from a unique opinion as it's possible to get.

I went in blind and bought one at launch. My excuse being I went through a year of hell (my daughter was born, almost killing my wife who had serious long term health complications) and the 360 kept me going through it all. I was in such a self contained bubble that I didn't realise all of the online furor the Xbone reveal caused at the time and was shocked at the reaction here and every where else when I finally did go back online!

Those were some dark years as an early Xbone adopter!

2 hours ago, dfq23 said:

MS not making any AAA games that push systems?

How about a simulator that allows you to fly between any two places in the entire world with near photorealistic graphics,  realtime weather and flight patterns and VR support?

And get it to run on even the Series S!

And give it away for free!

It's no more niche than Returnal to the average gamer and was by a studio that had previously made "Garfield a Tale of Two Kitties"

Asobo I think are one of MS’s best studios, with Flight Sim obviously but also the team that made A Plague Tale. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Asobo I think are one of MS’s best studios, with Flight Sim obviously but also the team that made A Plague Tale. 

They're 3rd party are they not - don't think they belong to MS at all.

They'd be a good pick-up for them actually.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Never been wrong with anything so far. 

15 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Not sure why there’s a sudden focus on me being some kind of Videogame Prophet

But do go quote those pro Kinect 2 hive mind posts.

4 minutes ago, rgraves said:

They're 3rd party are they not - don't think they belong to MS at all.

They'd be a good pick-up for them actually.

I thought they had bought them recently, honestly it’s so hard to keep up with them isn’t it. But I’m sure their next game, Plague Tale: Requiem, is exclusive, isn’t it? 

Yeah I’m wrong, you are right they are still third party but I think Requiem is coming to Game Pass day one. 

I’m probably wrong about that too :lol:

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I thought they had bought them recently, honestly it’s so hard to keep up with them isn’t it. But I’m sure their next game, Plague Tale: Requiem, is exclusive, isn’t it? 

Still self owned and the next game is coming out on everything but will launch on Gamepass as well.

I agree that Asobo would be a good fit for MS. They seem to have a good working relationship that began with stuff like Disneyland Adventures and has culminated in Flight Sim. Perhaps Asobo just want to remain Independent?

1 minute ago, Jg15 said:

Still self owned and the next game is coming out on everything but will launch on Gamepass as well.

I agree that Asobo would be a good fit for MS. They seem to have a good working relationship that began with stuff like Disneyland Adventures and has culminated in Flight Sim. Perhaps Asobo just want to remain Independent?

Maybe, either way as you say they appear to have a very strong relationship with MS and seem a good fit for them. Deffo one of my favourite studios. 

Just now, TehStu said:

But do go quote those pro Kinect 2 hive mind posts.

Had a look and found a post where I was talking about the data communications act and how in the future your data will be gathered and monitored through personal devices and mentioned how corrupt the UK government are. Some people took the piss and threw Asperger insults and mental illness insults. Lovely stuff! I’m not sifting through more random shit. 

The threads supposed to be about Videogames not my incredible powers of prediction. Not sure why anyone’s bothered about that stuff.

So what decent and relevant IP have Microsoft now got access to for their $68 billion? Is there anything other than CoD that could be considered big news in future and potentially worth that amount of money?

5 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Asobo have been partially bought by some French private equity house.

Kinect?

ok I’ll admit to playing rare sports game with my son!

and that utterly hatstand game by Swery with the cat lady - that was great/hatstand

other than that it was a joke waggle thing like the PlayStation eyetoy stuff (which I also played on ps2)

7 minutes ago, kensei said:

This is some beautiful work by @CrichStand. Just believable enough shitposting to have everyone biting in response.

If they are using suggestions of Asperger and mental health issues just to further troll I wouldn't say it was beautiful work. More massively depressing tbh.

45 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Interesting article discussing the legal side of this acquisition. The bottom line is we can expect it to pass but it may not be unconditional:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsofts-activision-blizzard-comes-with-2-big-legal-hurdles-190828372.html

Be interesting to see if allowing Call Of Duty to continue to be released on PlayStation will be a condition of the deal going through? Genuinely no idea how likely or unlikely that is but it does sound as though this deal will require more elbow work from the lawyers and may come with more strings attached than the Bethesda buyout.

I'm sure Microsoft would absolutely love to make their entire catalogue available via Game Pass on PlayStation hardware.

1 minute ago, layten said:

I'm sure Microsoft would absolutely love to make their entire catalogue available via Game Pass on PlayStation hardware.

Consumers are still having to pay Microsoft for access though, so I'm not sure that would mitigate such concerns.

43 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

All the games will be on PC and phones via streaming so pretty much everyone will own a device capable of playing them.

Not only that. Microsoft make games available via alternative stores as well (Steam). You can play Game Pass content on Xbox, PC, Android, iOS and even a number of TV manufacturers are looking to add Game Pass support.

Nintendo show that no matter how much money you can spunk away on lost causes, you can claw it all back fairly swiftly without too much problem. 

I don't think anyone should worry unduly about it. 

Although I am hoping someone in Sony is worrying enough to decide that bunging more games on the PC is a good idea.

21 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Although I am hoping someone in Sony is worrying enough to decide that bunging more games on the PC is a good idea.

How much does that actually help Sony though? I appreciate they are making some additional money, but if it stops too many people buying a PlayStation then they lose the license money from third party sales, PSN subs, additional digital transactions etc, which is surely where the real money is.

41 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

How much does that actually help Sony though? I appreciate they are making some additional money, but if it stops too many people buying a PlayStation then they lose the license money from third party sales, PSN subs, additional digital transactions etc, which is surely where the real money is.

That's where the Microsoft approach is more canny. I can play their games without an XBox and they're still getting their fee from me.

10 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

That's where the Microsoft approach is more canny. I can play their games without an XBox and they're still getting their fee from me.

Which is why Sony do need a robust response to Gamepass. It's not just the value, it's the convenience. The success of Netflix and Spotify in the post yaar age, show that cost isn't the only or even necessarily the most important metric with which people measure the value of a service. Providing a slick, easy way for people to access their content is at least as important for many people.

It's funny really, Sony could have been ahead of the game on this in many respects. They purchased one of the first cloud gaming services (Gaikai) back in 2012 and a bunch of patents from OnLive when they went bust, so they knew which way the wind was blowing but rather than take a gamble and be Netflix, they chose to remain as Blockbuster and rake in those traditional profits for as long as possible and I guess it remains to be seen if they've left it too late or they've played it just right.

I don't think they have much of a choice but to go big on the subscription model at some point but my sense is they'll be aiming to thread the needle between running a competitive subscription service whilst still looking to capitalise on those big first month sales of their first party releases. Very curious how they'll structure Spartacus.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Were the people purchasing Horizon and God of War 4 years after release on PC ever really likely to buy a Playstation? You're talking about a group of people who have chosen not to own a console that has been on the market for nearly a decade and who happily waited nearly half a decade after certain game's release to buy them.

So long as Sony maintain enough distance between the console release and PC release of games they're porting over, they're wagering that this is mostly an additional revenue stream rather than a cannibalising one. 

I don't think that would be the case if they brought games to PC day and date but if they carry on bringing across games that are years old then I think they're probably right.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Have you seen the price of graphics cards?

PC is a niche market - people willing to sink £1500-2000 on a device are not the mainstream, they aren't their target.

And they aren't buying consoles at all, in many cases.

Sony should be servicing that market as the PC isn't really direct competition in the same way another console is.

God of War did absolute gangbusters on PC this month, it seems silly for them to not port more games in future. 

Just now, El Spatula said:

Until they improve the Game Pass app on PC that ain't gonna happen. 

It's so much better than it was.

If you join the insider build and enable advanced install features it doesn't even use UWP any more - you just download and install a game to any folder you would like, that folder isn't hidden, you can access all the game files etc.

Which is the big annoying thing gone really.