IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Probably a bit of a basic one this but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

I am about 3 or 4 hours in and I have leveled up to 12, equipped myself with a kick ass sword and a nice brass shield.  I have figured out how to summon a helpful pack of spirit wolves, got the horse and made my way to the Round Table hold.

Somewhat foolishly for a noob I guess though I started out as a wretch, and I am still running around in my undies!!!!  I have aquired armour, greaves, helmets etc from defeated enemies, but there seems to be no option for me to equip them.  Also unlike the weapons there are no stats I can see telling me what atributes I might need in order to wear them.  

What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Probably a bit of a basic one this but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

I am about 3 or 4 hours in and I have leveled up to 12, equipped myself with a kick ass sword and a nice brass shield.  I have figured out how to summon a helpful pack of spirit wolves, got the horse and made my way to the Round Table hold.

Somewhat foolishly for a noob I guess though I started out as a wretch, and I am still running around in my undies!!!!  I have aquired armour, greaves, helmets etc from defeated enemies, but there seems to be no option for me to equip them.  Also unlike the weapons there are no stats I can see telling me what atributes I might need in order to wear them.  

What am I missing?

You can equip armour in the same place as weapons, under the Equipment option from the menu. 

And you can wear any armour you want, no requirements, all it does is affect your equip load / roll type. 

Cheers guys I cannot believe how I missed that.  It was so obvious particularly once I read your post Blunted.  I could/should have been running around in armour about 30 minutes into the game!!!!

I was attemting to equip by selecting the items themselves  and not the equipment slots, but the use button was always greyed out.:doh:

3 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I guess it’s possible but it didn’t feel like it to me. 

And then I noticed I had an item which had a description which basically said ‘give to the blind lady to help her move to the light’ or something along those lines. So I figured, maybe she was supposed to die, and now she’d be a ghost I could help but I went back at night & she’s not there, so maybe it’s not that either. 

As usual, I don’t want a specific spoilery answer, just if that was the normal end of the quest line or if I need to try something different next play through?

That item you mention is for a different npc, I think! Though I'm now wondering whether it would be possible to help that other person you mention too! 

27 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I can’t find any materials to get my spirit summons above +1. Any good places to go and find what I need, which I think is Grave Glovewart (2) and higher?

You need to find catacombs/graves.

Another little tip is that when you look at the map after collecting it for an area

Spoiler

Looking closely at the map you'll see entrances for tunnels/areas as well as things like evergaols.  They are all red on the map, kinda like when looking for the tomb icon on the map to collect the map piece

Seems pretty obvious tbh but of course i didn't spot it until now.

Another thing is that

Spoiler

You can collect a bell where you hand it over to Twin Maiden Husks and she'll start selling Smithing Stones 1 and 2 from then on. Very handy for getting to +6

My weapon is +14 and I still haven't found this bell. 🤔 I'm starting to feel a bit beat up by this game now. I'm not really making much progress in any direction. I walked into Radahn's fight a few times and, Jesus Christ... I probably shouldn't have dumped 15 levels into faith when I have nothing much of use faith-wise. Definitely going to respec as soon as I get the item for that.

Just now, Number 28 said:

My weapon is +14 and I still haven't found this bell. 🤔 I'm starting to feel a bit beat up by this game now. I'm not really feeling like I'm making much progress in any direction. I walked into Radahn's fight a few times and, Jesus Christ... I probably shouldn't have dumped 15 levels into faith when I have nothing much of use faith-wise. Definitely going to respec as soon as I get the item for that.

Do you want a hint for the location of the bell? 

Spoiler

There's a mine north of the lakes. Look closely at the map, you can see the red outlined dark round cave entrance. 

I see it. I've not been down there, cheers.

I was wondering how you get to that plateau on the west side of Liurnia. I figured I must have to warp there later.

Has anybody ever actually fed Torrent those berries for HP? Doesn't seem necessary at all.

2 hours ago, ph0rce said:

And you can wear any armour you want, no requirements, all it does is affect your equip load / roll type. 

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob but does armour not affect the amount of damage taken?

I'm still rocking the Prisoner helmet I got from the start as all the physical/elemental resistances are stronger than anything else I've found, though it weighs 8.6 (I think).

3 minutes ago, Janski said:

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob but does armour not affect the amount of damage taken?

I'm still rocking the Prisoner helmet I got from the start as all the physical/elemental resistances are stronger than anything else I've found, though it weighs 8.6 (I think).

Yeah, it has all stats about how much damage it blocks / reduces but what I meant was that the only restriction to wearing whatever armour you want is the equip load / roll. 

Obviously different armour has different resistances, and the heavier the armour the more physical damage it blocks / more poise it gives you, as a general rule. 

12 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I was wondering how you get to that plateau on the west side of Liurnia. I figured I must have to warp there later.

Has anybody ever actually fed Torrent those berries for HP? Doesn't seem necessary at all.

Spoiler

I don't know about the top but have you been under it? There might be a way up there. I went under there for a weapon yesterday and it seemed extensive

14 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

The one when you look up and see it? yeah. just now!

It is a fairly long NPC quest to get there!

are we talking about the summoning bell?? for spirits?

You need to go back to, i assume, the first vender, the santa looking fella...and maybe...pass some time..

Spoiler

night, it needs to be night.

or if she does not show up, you can buy it from the weird thing at round table

9 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

are we talking about the summoning bell?? for spirits?

You need to go back to, i assume, the first vender, the santa looking fella...and maybe...pass some time..

Reveal hidden contents

night, it needs to be night.

or if she does not show up, you can buy it from the weird thing at round table

No, this is something else.

are we talking about the bell bearings that you give the vendor to get her to sell more stuff?

if so. mines and catacombs, beat the bosses. they drop those kind of things

Yeah, I just got a bell for the vendor from robdood's suggestion. Such a strange battle. My backstabs were doing a measley 42 damage until suddenly they weren't and it went down in seconds. I went to try the double battle elsewhere* but I wasn't so lucky.

Spoiler

Academy crystal cave

5 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Ok, here's a game changer: If you click L3 in the inventory you can sort by 'Order of Acquisition', so you should find that trinket you just picked up a lot faster.

That's brilliant!

Related: when you pick up a new item, the icon to the left of the message box tells you what sort of item it is and what menu you'll find it under.

Got a couple more questions

1. what are the first 2 icons here under my 3 bars?  I know that the third icon is the talisman I'm wearing but have no idea what the others are, where they come form or what they mean.  I can't see anything useful after looking at the status menu.

PXL_20220305_184620699.thumb.jpg.f32112816445da6f28b41e3251fd1358.jpg

2. how the hell do I cast a spell? I bought the Urgent Heal health one from the vendor with the wooden wheel round their neck at roundtable and I have learned it in my first memory slot which made it appear in the HUD.  I have enough FP for its cost but it is just greyed out and pressing up on the d-pad does nothing.  I tried equipping a wand (I am a Samurai) but that didn't help either.

PXL_20220305_184629880.thumb.jpg.4ded7e7222957f923558b5bb0560c5bd.jpg

10 hours ago, Mike S said:

That was me!

I’ve been doing it forever in the previous games where the runs to bosses were considerably longer and harder so all time saved lessened the pain.

It’s a top tip!

It's a top tip until you think you've brought a lift up or down and you go into auto pilot and throw yourself down the shaft where you thought the lift would be.

12 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Got a couple more questions

1. what are the first 2 icons here under my 3 bars?  I know that the third icon is the talisman I'm wearing but have no idea what the others are, where they come form or what they mean.  I can't see anything useful after looking at the status menu.

PXL_20220305_184620699.thumb.jpg.f32112816445da6f28b41e3251fd1358.jpg

2. how the hell do I cast a spell? I bought the Urgent Heal health one from the vendor with the wooden wheel round their neck at roundtable and I have learned it in my first memory slot which made it appear in the HUD.  I have enough FP for its cost but it is just greyed out and pressing up on the d-pad does nothing.  I tried equipping a wand (I am a Samurai) but that didn't help either.

PXL_20220305_184629880.thumb.jpg.4ded7e7222957f923558b5bb0560c5bd.jpg

Urgent Heal is a Faith spell, you need a talisman, not a wand. 

I assumed the icons are all star boosts or drains, so I’ve got one for the each medallion, etc?

@StumpyJohn

The second icon is telling you that your HP has been lowered. You need to use a certain item from your inventory to get rid of it. You've been cuddling someone you shouldn't have...

Urgent heal is an incantation, not a sorcery: to cast sorceries you need a catalyst (a wand or a staff) and enough INT to cast the spell in the first place; to cast an incantation you need a sacred seal and enough FAI to cast it. You can buy a basic seal from the Maiden Husks in the Roundtable Hold if you don't have one already. I'm not sure what the FAI requirement is for Urgent Heal, but it's probably quite low, so you should be able to cast it if you've got a few points in Faith.

The Finger Seal you get from the maiden Husks looks like this:

image.png.2429dee5b8b4ec60012a13bc6d7e891d.png

8 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

you need a talisman, not a wand

Talismans are different from Seals and Catalysts. Talismans are things you equip to provide passive effects, like the rings you can equip in previous Souls games. Seals and Catalysts you equip to either of your hands and have to use them with RB/LB to activate the spell you have equipped.