Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Because of the nature of the message system, it’s very easy to string together basic, juvenile phrases. In souls it was “sticky white stuff”, here it’s “try fingers but hole”. It’s just people being dumb and silly. 

3 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Why are there so many player messages in game that mention "rump" and "pickle" is it some kind of souls in joke?

Yes, exactly that.

They are referencing a recurring Demon’s/Dark Souls NPC, a crow that the player can trade items with. In DS3 the crow chats away, using the phrases ‘pickle pee’ and ‘pump a run’ in his responses to exchanging items.

The words are originally from a children’s poem ‘The Ceremonial Band’ by James Reeves and refer to the sounds of a fife and drum.

Got anti-cheat warning preventing me from opening the game, restarted, still not working, did a load of things, nothing. Left it, tried it a couple of times out of frustration - started working. Not sure what's worse; the anti-cheat not letting me play or just how inconsistent it is.

9 hours ago, df0 said:

Cheese that fight, it’s how I did it. You can enter the arena from behind the boss and abuse the arch way. Bring enough FP potions.

Was this to me?

I tried a few times but gave up. Only having piddly fireball incantation, that mostly get lost in the grass, was too annoying, especially when you can’t use them on horseback. I’m doing my best to not melee at all.

Just gonna try and run to 

Spoiler

Liurnia of the Lakes (although I’ve no idea where that is yet) and find the merchant who sells the Astrologer starting staff.

I presume I can use the spells that require a staff while on Torrent?

18 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Just gonna try and run to X (although I’ve no idea where that is yet) and find the merchant who sells the X starting staff.

This is the sort of information that really needs to be spoilered. 

12 hours ago, Flub said:

How do you get your revenge on giant trolls? Massively outlevel them and accidentally find a mega spell

What armor is that?

Just killed the second boss (near the jellyfish). Met the third one at the end of the massive castle (exploring that was fantastic), yeah that's gonna be a no. Level 25 now with a +5 staff.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Was this to me?

I tried a few times but gave up. Only having piddly fireball incantation, that mostly get lost in the grass, was too annoying, especially when you can’t use them on horseback. I’m doing my best to not melee at all.

Just gonna try and run to 

Reveal hidden contents

Liurnia of the Lakes (although I’ve no idea where that is yet) and find the merchant who sells the Astrologer starting staff.

I presume I can use the spells that require a staff while on Torrent?

Yes its was. I am an Astrologer so just 2 simple spells for me. I approached him from behind, absurd the arch way and chipped away at him. None of his buddies even noticed. Big cheese but in EldenBorne everything is allowed if it ensures victory. Took about 3 FP potions though.

Not sure how to do it with a Fireball truth be told.

59 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Looks like the cuckoo knight armour, brass shield and the Karolos glint stone crown. 

Doc Shark is the fashion queen. And totally correct.

On 05/03/2022 at 17:00, Number 28 said:

Ok, here's a game changer: If you click L3 in the inventory you can sort by 'Order of Acquisition', so you should find that trinket you just picked up a lot faster.

Wait..... WHATTT????

On 05/03/2022 at 20:42, Jamie John said:

The second icon is telling you that your HP has been lowered. You need to use a certain item from your inventory to get rid of it. You've been cuddling someone you shouldn't have...

Oh wow I didn't know this! To be honest I'm still not sure if the hug isn't worth it..

13 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Why are there so many player messages in game that mention "rump" and "pickle" is it some kind of souls in joke?

I get rump, but what is so dirty about pickle? 🤔

1 hour ago, MrCarrot said:

Yes, you can.

Yesterday I somehow managed to cast an incantation whilst riding Torrent. I have no idea how I did it, I was mashing buttons trying not to get killed by a boss. I couldn't seem to replicate it either. I have my incantation doodad in my left hand and a melee weapon in my right. Normally you use L1 to cast the incantations, but on horsey that does a left melee attack, so dunno how I input the command. I didn't have any incantations on my quick menu either. Any ideas?

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Could someone please explain what this drop in damage is all about? This is if I apply the ashes on the left to the great sword. I don’t want my general DPS to reduce for a special move. 

it sounds like it's turning it into a Magic greatsword (it'll say on the screen), which means it does less base damage but more damage that scales to intelligence. And maybe your INT isn't very high (no offense :lol:

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Could someone please explain what this drop in damage is all about? This is if I apply the ashes on the left to the great sword. I don’t want my general DPS to reduce for a special move. 

2 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

it sounds like it's turning it into a Magic greatsword (it'll say on the screen), which means it does less base damage but more damage that scales to intelligence. And maybe your INT isn't very high (no offense :lol:

Related to this question I added an Ash called "Gravitas" to my Samurai Sword that appears to add magic damage in sacrifice of some physical damage.

Think the stats were something like:

Before: 130 Physical, 0 Magic

After: 90 Physical, 90 Magic

So overall I think that means ~50 extra damage.

I think I am doing a bit more damage when attacking but it's hard to be sure.  Am I correct? 

1 minute ago, StumpyJohn said:

Related to this question I added an Ash called "Gravitas" to my Samurai Sword that appears to add magic damage in sacrifice of some physical damage.

Think the stats were something like:

Before: 130 Physical, 0 Magic

After: 90 Physical, 90 Magic

So overall I think that means ~50 extra damage.

I think I am doing a bit more damage when attacking but it's hard to be sure.  Am I correct? 

Yeah, as long as the baddie isn’t strong / immune to magic

38 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Yesterday I somehow managed to cast an incantation whilst riding Torrent. I have no idea how I did it, I was mashing buttons trying not to get killed by a boss. I couldn't seem to replicate it either. I have my incantation doodad in my left hand and a melee weapon in my right. Normally you use L1 to cast the incantations, but on horsey that does a left melee attack, so dunno how I input the command. I didn't have any incantations on my quick menu either. Any ideas?

If it’s like the staff: time for two handing!

Spoiler

When you’re on horseback with a staff in your left hand, the button input for ‘two hand right hand weapon’ will equip your left hand weapon for you to use. You then use R1 to fire spells and L1 just does a melee attack to the left.

26 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Yeah, as long as the baddie isn’t strong / immune to magic

Even if they're not strong against it, there's some natural immunity in previous souls games, which I'd be surprised wasn't carried into here. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/resistance

If an enemy has natural resistance to magic above 50 you'll be doing less damage.

46 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Sorry, I forgot to include the screenshot. It doesn’t seem to be turning it into a magic one:

aTR1Syo.jpg