IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

30 minutes ago, robdood said:

You could've just read the description in the item screen. 

I think I did but assumed it would be related to blacksmith I hadn’t discovered or something.

I’ve got a question related to the weapon stats, do all weapons scale evenly with heavy and keen? So if I have a greatsword, will it do the same damage as a heavy weapon if I’ve got 60 STR and as a keen weapon if I’ve got 60 DEX? Or will STR do slightly more because that’s what the weapon is naturally specced for? Can I just decide to use an STR weapon by making it keen, or am I losing out on some damage I’d get if I was a strength build?

On 11/03/2022 at 23:41, robdood said:

Separately, what the heck is this symbol on my HUD?

image.png.4999f49cb594cb0b1691f9fb9d3f3358.png

Edit - aaah think it's the roundatble / no fighting icon :)

Yeah it’s no aggro, you can’t swing your weapons. Pops up in a few other places through the game.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

I’ve got a question related to the weapon stats, do all weapons scale evenly with heavy and keen? So if I have a greatsword, will it do the same damage as a heavy weapon if I’ve got 60 STR and as a keen weapon if I’ve got 60 DEX? Or will STR do slightly more because that’s what the weapon is naturally specced for? Can I just decide to use an STR weapon by making it keen, or am I losing out on some damage I’d get if I was a strength build?

Yeah it’s no aggro, you can’t swing your weapons. Pops up in a few other places through the game.

I think all the weapons will scale differently based on what the dev decided and they'll be tables collected by the community and added to the fextralife wiki or shared on Reddit. For example my katana is scaling better with Dex as keen than the claymore though the claymore is still scaling nicely. So I would have thought the greatsword would scale better as a heavy weapon than a keen. If your comfortable backing up and restoring saves you could try it by respeccing and collecting the stats yourself. I'm going to get into all that once I'm done with my first play through. Its pretty nerdy though I realise. In fact looks like some of the stats are up here:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Greatsword

Seems heavy makes it A scaling with str and keen B Dex and D Str so it's definitely scaling better as a pure strength weapon. 

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

Did the Academy ages ago, but still haven't activated the rune. Any help with that?

The academy rune doesn't need activating, it allows you to respec with Rannalia

What's how much stamina is taken off when shielding an attack determined by (aside from the strength of the attack)? Would levelling my shield help with this, or does that not actually really do anything?

5 minutes ago, John0 said:

What's how much stamina is taken off when shielding an attack determined by (aside from the strength of the attack)? Would levelling my shield help with this, or does that not actually really do anything?

Yes there's a stat for guard efficiency I don't remember what it's called as I can't access my PS5 for a few more days! The stat will only go up every couple of levels you put into it. I've not found a medium shield better than the brass shield for blocking so far by the way, there probably is a better one out there though. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

There’s a better shield later in the game that has 12 points more guard boost but it is much later, so the brass shield is a fantastic early to mid game investment. 

Whats it called please?

Just came to ask how to swap between arrow types, but solved it myself.

In case anyone needs to know, you have two slots in your inventory for arrows or bolts, respectively.

You basically aim your bow, then press the slot's corresponding button! So for me on Xbox, it's RB (light attack) for equipped Arrow 1 or LB (strong attack) for equipped Arrow 2. 

Just now, Padaxes said:

How do you enter the password for multiplayer stuff like signs etc

Bring up menu, bottom left ish is multiplayer menu.  You can do it there. 

Speaking of multiplayer, I joined 'SEEKERS' and I am not sure what or why I have - just got told to for a buff?

Does that mean that I get more runes per kill when I glow gold? 

I seem to be doing a lot of things because I think I should with no idea what I am doing. Level 52 50hrs in. 

5 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I see the new update adds all the people you’ve spoken to onto the map with a little icon.

A big help when trying to find merchants.

I quite like that it didn't add icons to the map all the time like so many open world games, Ubi I'm looking at you!

I like that I can choose to add the markers I want where I like instead

55 minutes ago, ridgeracer said:

Speaking of multiplayer, I joined 'SEEKERS' and I am not sure what or why I have - just got told to for a buff?

Does that mean that I get more runes per kill when I glow gold? 

I seem to be doing a lot of things because I think I should with no idea what I am doing. Level 52 50hrs in. 

I joined that last night too and played for a few hours with it on.  Probably had the rune buff active about half of the time giving a 5% boost to what you get from kills.  There is a little status icon (square, contains a bird foot and up arrow) in the HUD plus the gold vertical lines around your character while its active.  You get the an on screen message each time it activates too, something like "a player has killed a shard bearer"

You also get more of the ingame messages and bloodstains coming from members of the group plus they have a circular accent around them.  I am seeing yellowish ghosts in game too, which I think are 'group' versions of the white ones you normally see

Just lit all the fires and killed the boss in Siofra River - is there a reason why I couldn't activate my spirit summons during this fight? Took it down first try (easy easy boss) so didn't get a chance to see if it was a one-off glitch.

Is there anything else to do in this area? Is the massive castle on the east side accessible from down here? Ta for any pointers.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Just lit all the fires and killed the boss in Siofra River - is there a reason why I couldn't activate my spirit summons during this fight? Took it down first try (easy easy boss) so didn't get a chance to see if it was a one-off glitch.

Is there anything else to do in this area? Is the massive castle on the east side accessible from down here? Ta for any pointers.

Where you summoning co-op? Even if you didn't get one it blocks ashes if you're looking.

There's something else down there - first a hint then a direction

Spoiler

Look for a way gate

Spoiler

It's on a half crumbled pillar nearish the middle grace site

Thanks @Hexx - no, I didn't summon, it was my first shot at that boss so went in solo. Looked beautiful, easy fight but reminded me of one of the more melancholic and weird fights of the older games.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a look around later.

19 hours ago, Hexx said:

Where you summoning co-op? Even if you didn't get one it blocks ashes if you're looking.

There's something else down there - first a hint then a direction

Hide contents

Look for a way gate

Hide contents

It's on a half crumbled pillar nearish the middle grace site

Are you talking about the 

Spoiler

Merchant? I was surprised at the relative lack of things to do down there and feel like I’m missing something. I’ve not been into any of the castles you can see, and the way gate that looks like it should take me to the big red castle in the distance just takes me back down the hill - pointless! I also can’t reach the guy you can see stood on his own off in the distance!

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

Are you talking about the 

Hide contents

Merchant? I was surprised at the relative lack of things to do down there and feel like I’m missing something. I’ve not been into any of the castles you can see, and the way gate that looks like it should take me to the big red castle in the distance just takes me back down the hill - pointless! I also can’t reach the guy you can see stood on his own off in the distance!

Spoiler

Nope there's a waygate that takes you "up" above where you are.

There's some items and a world boss (Dragonkin Solider variant) up there.

You're not missing much there and it's a "dead end" AFAIK

In the early bits of the Ranni quest line...

Spoiler

The mark is on her body, which is not in the tower. Am I supposed to be able to discern where it might be, or just hope I stumble across it? 

I'm usually quick to hit a Wiki but trying to let things be a bit more organic. I'm just never quite sure whether it's something I could realistically figure out!

36 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Nope there's a waygate that takes you "up" above where you are.

There's some items and a world boss (Dragonkin Solider variant) up there.

You're not missing much there and it's a "dead end" AFAIK

Yep cleared all that up now thanks. There’s a sizeable chunk shown on the map that you just don’t seem to be able to get to. Odd!

13 minutes ago, Rog said:

Yep cleared all that up now thanks. There’s a sizeable chunk shown on the map that you just don’t seem to be able to get to. Yet. Odd!

It's a souls game. If you can't easily get somewhere maybe you'll come back to the area from a different route later.