IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

22 minutes ago, carlospie said:

What's the best build for a noob? Can you respec? I'm up to 20 strength but still barely scratch stuff, should I bring different weapons for different situations?

Vagabond - has a 100% physical damage block shield, and good armour BUT  you NEED to remove the halbard as an equipped weapon , to mid role!

its similar to the Knight  of DaS3

34 minutes ago, carlospie said:

What's the best build for a noob? Can you respec? I'm up to 20 strength but still barely scratch stuff, should I bring different weapons for different situations?

In the other games you can respec after you reach certain points. I don't know how but I'm betting that is the case in this one.

At 20 str you should be hitting pretty decently - what weapon are you using? Some enemies (generally plate armour wearers, things made of stone etc.) are more resistant to slash/pierce damage and vulnerable to bashy weapons. I would also aim to have 15 Vig and End with that 20 Str.

49 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Yes you can respec later

Personally I've only had to switch weapons once, to a mace vs a crystal enemy as a boss in a dungeon thing (nothing else was doing any damage), normally main weapon should be fine (maybe check your weapon scales off your strength, if that's your main attribute though). I did a big explore after big early boss and ended up in areas where I could hardly damage stuff, so it might just be where you are in the map. When I came back to early areas they felt really easy by comparison

I didn't get the summoning bell till just now - 13 hours in. I had to google it, you are supposed to get it from an NPC at the Church of Elleh at night, but no matter what I did, she never appears. If this happens you have to buy it from the twin husks at the table instead. The game of course never tells you this, but google did. I never understood why I couldn't see this purple tombstone icon people kept going on about. 

Fuck me...

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Are you upgrading your weapons?

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Assign them to the dpad panel on the right of the screen when you press option/menu. Hover over the slot, press Y/Triangle. Then when you want to summon them hold Y/Triangle and press the appropriate dpad direction

5 hours ago, therearerules said:

What @moosegrindersaid, but you need the bell in your inventory first

I have the bell and the wolves both from the spectral lady at the church but I can't seem to use the wolf, it's always greyed out

I have more FP than it costs to use

Its greyed out when in both the hold Y pouch and on the item button X

What am I doing wrong?

Also this game is fecking terrible at explaining how to do things

3 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I have the bell and the wolves both from the spectral lady at the church but I can't seem to use the wolf, it's always greyed out

I have more FP than it costs to use

Its greyed out when in both the hold Y pouch and on the item button X

What am I doing wrong?

Also this game is fecking terrible at explaining how to do things

You can only summon at certain places, when there is a tombstone icon on the left of your screen. 

You can use the Torrent springs to go down as well as up. If you jump into them from above on Torrent, you won't take fall damage.

I wonder how many people go into souls games without knowing about i-frames and rolling? The tutorials might mention roll dodges, but I don't think they explicitly point out that you have a tiny window of invincibility. You soon learn about it if you watch other players, but yeah.

16 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

You can only summon at certain places, when there is a tombstone icon on the left of your screen. 

Thanks, game does not explain that! 🤬

Been in a cave area with enemies and don't think I saw that icon appear, disappointing.  Will look out for it tomorrow

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Public Service Announcement:

You can double jump with the horse.

I probably would have never found this out if someone in the forum thread hadn't pointed it out. Does the game ever tell you? 

I had the horse an hour and a half before finding out. I was in a battle and I needed to evade, went to buffer the jump (well frantically mash it in panic) and it ruddy double-jumped! There was an audible "Noooooooooo".

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

Also, how do I invade, not as an invited honourable duel, but as a bastard?

I found this tonight. It’s reasonably easy to find as long as you check a message

Spoiler

The guy who was by the first step grace - when you first open the doors into the world - has moved. He’s left a message, similar to one from a player but it’s light reaches into the sky. Read that message and you’ll get general instructions of where to find him.

42 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I wonder how many people go into souls games without knowing about i-frames and rolling? The tutorials might mention roll dodges, but I don't think they explicitly point out that you have a tiny window of invincibility. You soon learn about it if you watch other players, but yeah.

Jumping too from what I've figured out, can allow you to get in a quick heavy attack as a bonus. 

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

2 hours ago, Kzo said:

In the other games you can respec after you reach certain points. I don't know how but I'm betting that is the case in this one.

At 20 str you should be hitting pretty decently - what weapon are you using? Some enemies (generally plate armour wearers, things made of stone etc.) are more resistant to slash/pierce damage and vulnerable to bashy weapons. I would also aim to have 15 Vig and End with that 20 Str.

You are given the opportunity to respec your skills after the second main boss. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Does the game ever tell you? 

I think it comes up on screen in text when you get the horse.

Psa: when you emerge into the world there's LOADS of stuff behind the building you come out of.  I've been heading North pretty much the whole time and just went back to have a look.

2 hours ago, Kzo said:

The starter axe at plus 3

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Public Service Announcement:

You can double jump with the horse.

I probably would have never found this out if someone in the forum thread hadn't pointed it out. Does the game ever tell you? 

It does, but away from my PS4 currently so can’t say where. Probably in the tutorial part of the inventory.

Which reminds me - there are pictorial and descriptive summaries of all the tutorial stuff in the notes part of the inventory.

Actually, this might go better in here:

I’ve got 25 hours on the clock and haven’t once messed with the ashes stuff. You assign mad moves to your weapon’s L2/double handed attack with them, is that right?

Problem is, I kinda like my Uchigatana’s default L2/double handed attack (it’s a rad samurai sword unsheathing typa thing). Will that move be lost if I assign an Ash of war to it?

I suppose it wouldn’t be lost for good, there’s no doubt an item or an NPC who can scrub it, but in that instance, won’t the Ash itself then be lost for good?

Is it even possible to unbind it from a weapon once it’s on there? I understand there are ways to duplicate ashes as well.

I feel like I’m missing out. I’ve accumulated loads of them, but I’m scared to apply them to my weapon, only to not like the effects/moves, which might see me burning through the lot of them, looking for something that I like, all the while losing my unsheathed Uchi badness that I actually quite like.

The knights in Stormveil suggest I need to mix things up, however! 😅

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Actually, this might go better in here:

I’ve got 25 hours and haven’t once messed with the ashes stuff. You assign mad moves to your weapon’s L2/double handed attack with them, is that right?

Problem is, I kinda like my Uchigatana’s default L2/double handed attack (it’s a rad samurai sword unsheathing typa thing). Will that move be lost if I assign an Ash of war to it?

I suppose it wouldn’t be lost for good, there’s no doubt an item or an NPC who can scrub it, but in that instance, won’t the Ash itself then be lost for good?

Is it even possible to unbind it from a weapon once it’s on there? I understand there are ways to duplicate ashes as well.

I feel like I’m missing out. I’ve accumulated loads of them, but I’m scared to apply them to my weapon, only to not like the effects/moves, which might see me burning through the lot of them, looking for something that I like, all the while losing my unsheathed Uchi badness that I actually quite like.

The knights in Stormveil suggest I need to mix things up, however! 

I’m away from the game now but I’m sure the Ashes are can be added, removed, and exchanged without cost and have infinite uses. I think.

I currently use a poison ash that once I get enough hits in to inflict the poison it will kill a decent sized enemy without any more help from me. Almost OP really…

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I’m away from the game now but I’m sure the Ashes are can be added, removed, and exchanged without cost and have infinite uses. I think.

I currently use a poison ash that once I get enough hits in to inflict the poison it will kill a decent sized enemy without any more help from me. Almost OP really…

@robdood‘s Stormveil knight shredding thing that he mentioned is what’s got me thinking I really ought to start messing with Ashes.

In regard to those pointers of roughly were to go next on the map. I have played 20 odd hours now and still have a route marked out somewhere to the left of the map at the Castleward tunnel. It sort of shows it as if it is in the castle, but pointing to the forest, but I do not see anything there after exploring.

Also is there anyway to upgrade existing spells to a more powerful version?

Another thing to note, for a boss you're attempting where you go between summoning people for coop or just having a go yourself, if you activate your finger furl but then decide to attempt the boss yourself, deactivate it before going into the boss room.  I was confused for ages why I couldn't summon anything during a boss fight and turned out it was due to that.  Seems pretty obvious in retrospect but had me confused for ages until the penny dropped.

40 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yes this is correct!! At first I thought you lose the weapons default ash, but you can always 'undo modification' from the menu to get it back! You just can't move it to a different weapon without finding the Ash item in the world. 

58 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

It does! 

Did the spirit lady describe it? I must have missed that if she did

Or is it on the tips you get on the loading screen, have found a few of those useful but dont think I've noticed it in them yet.

Other than that the 'help' bits in the main interface and the controls section tell you practically nothing 😧

18 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Maybe that's the difference, I've never played a 'souls' game before so I don't have the lived experience of how they work so am getting frustrated quite a lot.  Got to say that my previous feeling that I would not like them has been 100% vindicated.  This is by all accounts the most accessible and easy to get into one yet and I'm on the verge of bouncing right off it

Not so much a how do i, but which of the two is worth upgrading

The Demi Humans summon (more distractions/more damage but more squishy at base level) or the tank thicc boi jelly fish. Mainly to survive boss attacks to provide a long enough distraction as possibells. 

7 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Not so much a how do i, but which of the two is worth upgrading

The Demi Humans summon (more distractions/more damage but more squishy at base level) or the tank thicc boi jelly fish. Mainly to survive boss attacks to provide a long enough distraction as possibells. 

I've gone with Demi humans, they're awesome!!