IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Apologies for another drive-by posting, I am taking my time with this and enjoying it immensely but I only play at weekends, so I’m way behind and trying to avoid spoilers.

Concerning ‘Ashes of War’ - I’ve collected a few of these now but the tutorial screen said that once you remove them from a weapon they are lost, and as the weapons all have default skills I have been reluctant to change any in case they end up worse.

Is it true that you can’t remove them without losing them?

2 hours ago, rafrasilecs said:

How do I get anything ranged, a spell, a bow, bloody anything?

You should be able to just buy a bow from one of the early vendors, in fact does the one in church of ellah sell one? If not try twin maidens?

These might have already been posted in the main game thread, but here are a couple of tips videos. I don't know how spoilery the footage might be considered, but if you're worried about that you can look away for most of the videos and just listen to them.

A video on the importance of increasing your HP, instead of prioritising weapon damage, and how this differs from DS3 in particular:

And some not-so-obvious UI features that might be useful (bookmarking Sites of Lost Grace, keeping the menu up to use consumables, sorting inventory by most recently acquired):

Ooooh 'sorting inventory by most recently acquired' might be useful as I often pick up items mid combat and sometimes miss what I picked up so this could help with that maybe?

I have found and activated a great rune. I've equipped it from the bonfire menu. Do I understand correctly that does nothing at all until I know consume a rune arc? And that the effect from that dissapears once I die? 

1 hour ago, Sane said:

I have found and activated a great rune. I've equipped it from the bonfire menu. Do I understand correctly that does nothing at all until I know consume a rune arc? And that the effect from that dissapears once I die? 

Yep, that's right

Hold up, so the great rune does nothing if I don’t use a rune arc?

I’m just under 50 hours in, never used one, figured I’d need them for something important. 

So the effect lasts until you die or until you use a grace or something else?

Is there a shortcut method to do a gesture? Currently I’m having to open the menu and d-pad over to the one I want, and select it, by which time the person I’m trying to gesture at has run off and started fighting the boss or something… ><

(edit - on PS5, sorry for not saying. I can see there are motions associated with each one but don’t know how to activate those)

Can anyone tell me in a non-spoilery way if Faith builds get better offensive incantations eventually? I'm currently level 42 at Stormveil Castle, and have done Castle Morne and a few Catacombs and Caves along the way.

I found oone incantation in the south that required 28 Faith but turned out to be a massive disappointment (I had to sink 14 levels into the stat just to try it out :hmm:), and I'm beginning to think that I've been wasting my time.

On a related note, I found a prayer book in Stormveil Castle that gave me a flame coating for my weapon that lasts all of about 5 seconds. Is this normal for incantation-based weapon buffs, or is there something I need to upgrade to improve the buff's duration?

You do get some half decent Faith offensive spells as you go on, but nowhere near as many as Int based ones. There's a few I use fairly regularly and some later on which use Arcane as well as Faith. Its worth noting that you can respec eventually if you want to try out sorcery. Also there are some cool Faith weapons which you will already be able to use, once you find them later on!

On 20/03/2022 at 16:52, Darwock said:

Is there a shortcut method to do a gesture? Currently I’m having to open the menu and d-pad over to the one I want, and select it, by which time the person I’m trying to gesture at has run off and started fighting the boss or something… ><

(edit - on PS5, sorry for not saying. I can see there are motions associated with each one but don’t know how to activate those)

Also worth noting that you can assign gestures to the hold triangle menu if you are willing to sacrifice some slots, I usually do for multiplayer because I find the pad motion gestures really inconsistent.

I discovered that last night. I don’t even know what some of the icons are supposed to be?

I understood move the pad to the left, move it to the right, tilt it forwards, tilt it back. I couldn’t figure out the other two. One looked like you just shake it rapidly, but that produced a different gesture every time.

While I’m here, is there any guide to the status icons that appear under your health bar? A few times my character has started glowing with gold lines (and one time red ones but that was from a skill I used) despite me not changing anything. I assumed it was some network related thing like world tendency…

14 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I discovered that last night. I don’t even know what some of the icons are supposed to be?

I understood move the pad to the left, move it to the right, tilt it forwards, tilt it back. I couldn’t figure out the other two. One looked like you just shake it rapidly, but that produced a different gesture every time.

While I’m here, is there any guide to the status icons that appear under your health bar? A few times my character has started glowing with gold lines (and one time red ones but that was from a skill I used) despite me not changing anything. I assumed it was some network related thing like world tendency…

I think the gold lines are something to do with the erdtree it seems to only happen outside and either at night or dusk not sure, also not sure what it does perhaps raises discovery or something. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

You do get some half decent Faith offensive spells as you go on, but nowhere near as many as Int based ones. There's a few I use fairly regularly and some later on which use Arcane as well as Faith. Its worth noting that you can respec eventually if you want to try out sorcery. Also there are some cool Faith weapons which you will already be able to use, once you find them later on!

I went through a phase recently where everything I was finding was an incantation, but this is pretty close to the end of the game.  The early sorceries are definitely better, but I'm not sure about later.  I'm currently playing INT and it's ridiculously powerful, but I am quite tempted to respec for a while just to try all of the wonderful-sounding incantations I've found.

On 17/03/2022 at 13:03, therearerules said:

I'm just a member of rllmuk. That way every group interaction is special, even if it's rarer.

Would this mean I only see messages from rllmuk group users? If so, how do I set this? I’ve had it up to here with people putting messages directly in front of doors, levers, ladders etc.

I've been playing this totally wrong/right i suppose :D all of my stats are only on level 16 but I've been to a lot of places i probably shouldn't have ventured into yet, and pillaged some prettty massive hard weapons and shit :) i have even beaten up the Tree Guardian and nicked his big golden thingy! So now i need to go quiet again and get those stats up ;) Goblin and Guard killing time...

The map on this game is insane.

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

There are loads of them, list here: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Status+Effects

1 hour ago, Minion said:

I think the gold lines are something to do with the erdtree it seems to only happen outside and either at night or dusk not sure, also not sure what it does perhaps raises discovery or something. 

The gold ones are a buff to runes from kills, 5% I think.  It happens when you have all the floating golden erdtree leaves in an area, when you use a golden foot consumable and also in multiplayer groups when a member does specific things.  Might be some other triggers too

The red ones I get after using my Flask of Wondrous Physick, not sure if its a general indicator of using the flask or perhaps specifically a health or stats buff indicator?

20 minutes ago, Rog said:

Would this mean I only see messages from rllmuk group users? If so, how do I set this? I’ve had it up to here with people putting messages directly in front of doors, levers, ladders etc.

No, adding multiplayer groups means you will see more messages from the group(s) and less general ones but not only group ones.

Group ones are clearly distinct though as they have a circular accent with floating symbols, this is for both messages and bloodstains, the dialog when you are on them will say what group it is from too using its 'tally' number.

Go to the multiplayer menu and add them in like in this screen grab:

image.thumb.png.1e50a8031c06e9ccd7ac1901a1112b5f.png

Does anyone know if it's possible to un-map the 'centre camera' option?  I want to keep lock on, but I hate that sometimes I spin the camera accidentally when trying to lock on. 

45 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I've been playing this totally wrong/right i suppose :D all of my stats are only on level 16 but I've been to a lot of places i probably shouldn't have ventured into yet, and pillaged some prettty massive hard weapons and shit :) i have even beaten up the Tree Guardian and nicked his big golden thingy! So now i need to go quiet again and get those stats up ;) Goblin and Guard killing time...

The map on this game is insane.

Sounds like you're playing it exactly right to me!! 

On 20/03/2022 at 16:52, Darwock said:

In the older games you hold X button (Playstation) then wiggle the controller. 

20 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

At the risk of asking a dumb question, the rllmuk group's password is just "rllmuk"?

We never really decided one definitively to be honest, but yeah that's what I've done. Some people might be using 'Rllmuk' or 'RLLMUK' too. You could put all three into three groups if you wanted.

I've put all lowercase 'rllmuk' in, and I see lots of marked messages and bloodstains, and occasionally get a free buff when anyone beats a main boss.

I also make a point of always upvoting any group messages on the floor - even if they're not funny! - just to give out free heals to group members.