IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to un-map the 'centre camera' option?  I want to keep lock on, but I hate that sometimes I spin the camera accidentally when trying to lock on. 

I so wish you could do this (I haven't found a way). I've died more times that I care for through lock on failing and it facing me completely the wrong bloody way!!!

Not that I’m reading much online about ER, but isn’t it a little secret that the lock on is absolutely shit? Coming from a 2/3 From veteran player, it’s always been bad.

Generally you want to be adept at fighting with and without lockon. There are some very mobile enemies in this which lockon makes tracking a lot easier. Also, try fighting something with a piercing weapon (rapier or spear. E. G.) without lockon - that's a real painful experience! 

Cross post from the other thread... might be more useful here...

If anyone is finding they are struggling to find an area that's suitable for their level below is a map that shows you the order of areas according to difficulty and level.

Of course, there are spoilers there in terms of map areas and names, but if you have got a bit stuck looking for places to explore without getting whooped then it's a life saver.

Spoiler

game_progress_route_map_elden_ring_wiki_

10 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I so wish you could do this (I haven't found a way). I've died more times that I care for through lock on failing and it facing me completely the wrong bloody way!!!

Some fucking bellendon reddit tried to tell me it was part of the game's mechanics, like accidentally doing a kick in Dark Souls 1!.  Imbecile. 

Got a few rllmuk group stuff last night, a helpful message saying 'dastard ahead' before a ladder and sure enough there was a dastard at the top with a fire pole waiting to plunge me to my doom, who I managed to bait out thanks to the message. And a few unfortunate bloodstains on the roofs of the manor, where I'm sure I've left plenty of my own for you to enjoy!

One thing I've always been curious about is whether the white player ghosts in Souls games are actually real-time or recordings. If they are real time its a shame that you don't seem to see each others ghosts as I've never had anyone respond to my interactions. One thing I love about the white ghosts is seeing other people head into boss doors, fighting bosses and dying as you do the fight, it really makes it feel like a shared struggle and you aren't alone. I think they have the balance just right for how long you see ghosts for and the frequency that they appear.

40 hours in and there's still basics I don't understand. Could somebody explain what...

Whetstone knives do? I've got a few now, I assume they are getting better/ giving me more options but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. 

What the sewing kits do? Again, I've got a few and other than an early quest line I'm not sure what it's for! 

Different whetstone knives let you apply different scaling types to Arts of War.

The sewing kit just lets you make minor changes to some armour sets at a grace point as far as I can tell, not sure if there's more to it than that.

49 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Different whetstone knives let you apply different scaling types to Arts of War.

The sewing kit just lets you make minor changes to some armour sets at a grace point as far as I can tell, not sure if there's more to it than that.

What does that actually mean for the whetstone knives though...?

What changes are being made to the armour, is it just cosmetic? 

Is there any trick to getting the start up and connection of this (on SeriesX) to run more smoothly?  Am referring to the going online and "retrieving calibrations" bits.  It probably works first time about 20% and usually needs 2 or 3 goes before its successful.  This morning I gave up after more than half a dozen attempts plus a restart and just played offline but I like having the messages so dont want to be doing that on a regular basis.

Am getting grumpy with it now!

6 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

There are a bunch of different whetblades and each one lets you choose additional affinities when you apply an art of war, so the Iron Whetblade allows you to choose heavy, keen and quality for example, while the Glintstone Whetblade allows you to choose magic or frost.

Not sure re: the armour changes, I haven't really used the sewing kit stuff at all.

3 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Nothing to the knives themselves, they just remain in your inventory.

What they do is open up more 'affinities' options when applying an ash of war. Random screenshot I found below, with more whetstones there will be additional options available:

image.thumb.png.e3c05a9e2a08cf2a0b63395b1638d79e.png

3 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Not tried that so can't comment

30 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Is there any trick to getting the start up and connection of this (on SeriesX) to run more smoothly?  Am referring to the going online and "retrieving calibrations" bits.  It probably works first time about 20% and usually needs 2 or 3 goes before its successful.  This morning I gave up after more than half a dozen attempts plus a restart and just played offline but I like having the messages so dont want to be doing that on a regular basis.

Am getting grumpy with it now!

If it was this morning between 8am and about 9:30 then they were patching so you wouldn't be able connect. It is generally a bit slow though. I like to wait on the title music till it kicks in properly and usually it connects first time then. Also it's more satisfying it you wait for the build up in the music and then hit the button at the same time as the drop happens (or whatever the musical term is - I dunno).

36 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I've barely used it, but seems to make it a bit worse but lighter. Like it might remove the cloak, so it weighs less but doesn't provide quite the same protection. Mostly cosmetic though, the differences in actual stats looked tiny and I mean.. armor stats don't do anything anyway right?

I think I heard somewhere that the armour stats add up to a % of damage reduction, so they are kinda meaningful.  I think numbers on the right are the % reduction, the left is the sum of your gear's stats. 

image.png.f87f45ecd07656f4f06b3cfb7a362710.png

Having said that, the alterations only seem to change a piece of armour's number by very small amount (like about 2 or 3 points in most cases I can remember) so overall altering appearance is just a cosmetic thing. 

22 minutes ago, Alask said:

If it was this morning between 8am and about 9:30 then they were patching so you wouldn't be able connect. It is generally a bit slow though. I like to wait on the title music till it kicks in properly and usually it connects first time then. Also it's more satisfying it you wait for the build up in the music and then hit the button at the same time as the drop happens (or whatever the musical term is - I dunno).

Thanks, it was at 8 so that explains it!

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

To add to what others have said. These give you additional affinities that you can apply to your weapons with ashes of war. Fundamentaly what this does is change the weapon scaling. A basic weapon will do physical damage, keen/quality etc will change what stat affects the bonus on the weapon damage, so it might be that it now scales more with strength, or dex etc. If you apply a magic affinity you will then note that in all likelihood the physical damage the weapon does will go down, but you will now also get magical damage from the weapon, so in total (and assuming enemies aren't strong against magic damage) you might actually do more damage overall, you are also likely to find the weapon damage will also scale with int (or possibly faith depending on the specific affinity). Additionally with a magic type affinity you might also get an effect like frost, bleed etc.

Oooh thanks all. I was seeing the keen/quality stuff appear but hadn't made the connection. 

Also I've been leaving everything as standard as everything else seemed to reduce stats or move away from Dex, but I hadn't factored that with the magic damage it could add up to more. 

So much to think about! 

On 18/03/2022 at 11:39, Hexx said:

It's a souls game. If you can't easily get somewhere maybe you'll come back to the area from a different route later.

😀

Spoiler

Made it up there now! Annoyingly, there’s a site of grace that won’t activate?

Seeming as this is the ‘How do I?’ thread, I’m really, really disappointed that no-one has addressed the issue of how do we stop thinking about this bloody game. 

I absolutely love it, but I’m really worried that every other game will pale into insignificance after this. 

3 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Seeming as this is the ‘How do I?’ thread, I’m really, really disappointed that no-one has addressed the issue of how do we stop thinking about this bloody game. 

I absolutely love it, but I’m really worried that every other game will pale into insignificance after this. 

Try fingers but hole