IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

4 hours ago, Minion said:

have you both checked your cross region play settings are set to perform matchmaking, has he entered the correct password in the correct place, has he used a finger?

I totally forgot there were other settings. I've switched it to perform matchmaking so we'll try again. Otherwise I'm pretty sure everything else was done right. Cheers again for the rivers of blood, etc btw. I have to go grind up my arcane a little.

11 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I’ve explored plenty of places already at 50 hours! In fact, I think I’ve pretty much completely cleared Limgrave and everywhere to the south. I might go take another look down the Sofria River Well first, as I was way under levelled when I initially found it.

You should be good with the river section from where you are. 

The magic dudes in the academy you either battle at range and sidestep their magic or run right up to them and be aggressive. They are most dangerous in packs (like most enemies) as their pebble attack can stun lock you, which is a pain. 

If in doubt, run around them. 

To be honest once you get into it, the Academy is easier than Stormveil in my opinion. 

17 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Feckin' lake of rot.  I'm there currently and its a real pain to explore (my favourite activity!!) which they could readily fix if you were just allowed to ride the horsey in the area. 😢

It's really tedious pausing on the little islands for the rot meter to drop back down before doing the next dash, don't want to need to use too many bolus items to keep on curing it as it's hard to get one of the materials for crafting them.  The 2 immunity raising talismans I'm wearing are doing dick all too! 😠

Can you respec or put some points into Faith? You can equip a healing spell that makes the Lake Of Rot (and other toxic areas) a lot more manageable.

Speaking of which - are there any status effects in this like the Dark Souls curse that need a special item to cure?

19 hours ago, Rog said:

There's a coffin to check out on the brink of the rot waterfall, just left at the end of the cloisters.

Reveal hidden contents

I've got Godrick, Radahn, Morgott and the one from the queen. I have a feeling I was a bit over levelled earlier in the game so maybe it's just catching up with me. I'll give my ghostly lads a bit of a boost and get back to it!

Thanks for that!

12 hours ago, JPL said:

Well I’ve finally beat Godrick and cleared Stormveil at 50 hours, so I pushed on to Raya Lucaria, but those magic stone headed dudes are a right pain in the arse. Is this the correct next step, or should I be off exploring somewhere else first?

Yeah, you're on the right track.  There aren't actually that many of them in the end, they're just at a few annoying pinch points, and most of the time you only have to get past them once to where the next grace point is.

There's a really horrible curved corridor at  one point with a bunch of them.  I managed to carefully do it by taking them out one at a time with arrows and hiding around corners, but then there are a few more, and once you finally get past that section and know which way to go you realise you can actually just run past them all without engaging them at all.

Generally if there are more than two of them I try to pick them off with arrows while hiding behind walls. If there are two or less, I just charge, and I can usually take one down while taking a hit or two from another, before turning and killing that one.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Can you respec or put some points into Faith? You can equip a healing spell that makes the Lake Of Rot (and other toxic areas) a lot more manageable

Yeah, I was thinking about respeccing anyway as I put a few points into strength early on that I want to redirect to dex.

In the end I massively messed up and lost 45k runes so then being on zero I did a bunch of "devil may care" runs through the lake and warped back to the site of grace each time when my flasks were all used up.  Think I managed to explore most of it but there are a couple of bigger enemies I need to go back and beat.  I did laugh at how the game trolls you with a +1 immunity talisman which still does bugger all against scarlet rot when equipped!  A bit like all the objects in hard to jump to places that turn out to be just mushroom a lot of the time 🤣

So I am about 60 hours in and have beaten three demi-gods, so making good progress. I also feel I have figured a good chunk of the game out, apart from one thing- the great runes. So I now have three, but I need to activate them first, right? How do I do this? I think it's in the huge towers in various areas of the land, correct? Is there a way of knowing which tower applies to which? Also, are the walking tombs connected in any way? So many questions. Thanks!

How do i... get the area west of the Albinaurac Village? It's the only part where i can't make sense of the map which doesn't seem to show the huge cliffside i'm riding along trying to explore. 

4 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

So I am about 60 hours in and have beaten three demi-gods, so making good progress. I also feel I have figured a good chunk of the game out, apart from one thing- the great runes. So I now have three, but I need to activate them first, right? How do I do this? I think it's in the huge towers in various areas of the land, correct? Is there a way of knowing which tower applies to which? Also, are the walking tombs connected in any way? So many questions. Thanks!

Read the item descriptions of the runes, it tells you plainly :)

2 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

How do i... get the area west of the Albinaurac Village? It's the only part where i can't make sense of the map which doesn't seem to show the huge cliffside i'm riding along trying to explore. 

I *think* you're talking about this bit of map, right? 

image.png.c0e2f96457beb05c72fbc625303fc7b7.png

You can't get there until you complete a big sidequest, you end up coming up from underneath, eventually. 

How do I even get an opening against the main boss in Crumbling Faram Azula?  I haven't struggled at all up to now but he just wipes me out before I've even started.  Fire Giant was easy in the end but this is just a solid wall and none of my approaches have made any difference.

Also no fucker is putting down a summon sign which explains why I get summoned instantly when I put my sign down.  

18 hours ago, Timmo said:

My first question is 'what is your vigor'? It should be at least 40 at that point. I ended the name with 60. Caps are much higher in this one and low vigor is only for challenge runs.

I'm level 104, 37 vigor.

17 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

My strat if it helps. Don't neglect the bow!

Hide contents

Nice, my health bar is tiny in comparison though :)

18 minutes ago, robdood said:

I *think* you're talking about this bit of map, right? 

image.png.c0e2f96457beb05c72fbc625303fc7b7.png

You can't get there until you complete a big sidequest, you end up coming up from underneath, eventually. 

Cheers, been bugging me for a while now and wasted a lot of time trying to find my way 'in'. Not the best map reader here tho, constantly setting a course on the map and then spur Torrent in the exact opposite direction of where i want to go :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

I'm level 104, 37 vigor.

Nice, my health bar is tiny in comparison though :)

Plenty of ways to boost that with Talismans, and the like, as well as putting points into Vigor of course. Also the Red Hood is good for that if you have it. 

50 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

How do I even get an opening against the main boss in Crumbling Faram Azula?  I haven't struggled at all up to now but he just wipes me out before I've even started.  Fire Giant was easy in the end but this is just a solid wall and none of my approaches have made any difference.

I think bleed is what finally got me through after also banging my head for ages. I used the ash of war Seppuku to coat my +25 broadsword, but you could use a katana, or blood grease, or another art of war. Also of course a Mimic +10. ;)

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Yeah, it is the huge towers in the same region or at least has been so far for me.

The walking mausoleums are not connected to the great runes, they are related to the remembrances you get from some of the bosses

35 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Cheers, been bugging me for a while now and wasted a lot of time trying to find my way 'in'. Not the best map reader here tho, constantly setting a course on the map and then spur Torrent in the exact opposite direction of where i want to go :lol:

I've had a couple of big explores in that location trying to access the rest of the area and concluded that there must be a way that was not yet open to me.

Not related to that area but a while ago I got a talisman that makes you immune to falling damage so thought I'd be able to drop down from some high cliffs to access areas I had not yet been too.  Big NOPE 😢 I just ended up dying mid air rather than on landing, thanks FROM 🤬 (it does help with falls that would have done partial health bar damage but it totally does not make you 'immune')

1 hour ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Also no fucker is putting down a summon sign which explains why I get summoned instantly when I put my sign down.  

Do you not have the mimic ash summon? He's a good distraction, I killed him 2nd attempt, first attempt I fell down the hole next to the entry door which I did not know was there.

Can someone answer a few NPC quest queries for me?

Spoiler

First up, the commander of Mourne Castle. I met him, gave him the letter, found him by the body of his daughter and... I can't remember what he said. Something about revenge? Does he hint where you can find him next?

Second, I've seen people mentioning the Warmaster Shack in the main thread, and there are player messages in it.. but no NPC. Is there supposed to be one here or have I missed the trigger for it somewhere?

Third, the mage lady in the Weeping Peninsula basement wants me to free some other mage in Sellia Town in Caelid and gave me a glintstone key to do so. But I spent about an hour yesterday searching in the town, the crystal cave, the cliffs above, the chasm to the west, and I still can't find the bloody seal she is talking about. Is this a troll or something? Am I being blind? Or is it further from the town than what she implied?  

1 hour ago, Sun Tze said:

Don’t worry, I was in that exact area thinking the same thing yesterday. That part of the map really doesn’t match up with the reality of the area, so it is pretty confusing.

31 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

First up, the commander of Mourne Castle. I met him, gave him the letter, found him by the body of his daughter and... I can't remember what he said. Something about revenge? Does he hint where you can find him next?

Second, I've seen people mentioning the Warmaster Shack in the main thread, and there are player messages in it.. but no NPC. Is there supposed to be one here or have I missed the trigger for it somewhere?

Third, the mage lady in the Weeping Peninsula basement wants me to free some other mage in Sellia Town in Caelid and gave me a glintstone key to do so. But I spent about an hour yesterday searching in the town, the crystal cave, the cliffs above, the chasm to the west, and I still can't find the bloody seal she is talking about. Is this a troll or something? Am I being blind? Or is it further from the town than what she implied?  

Spoiler

Regarding your second one.  I met a knight in the Warmaster's Shack early on, who sold Ashes of war.  Later on he moves to Volcano Manor.  Then there's a red spirit called Bell Bearing Hunter who only appears there at night, I think.

Regarding your third, who is this? I think I've missed her!

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Thanks for that!

Are you thankful though? Really? The most totally unfair encounter I've come across so far down there.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

1st

Spoiler

You may stumble upon a shack in western Liurnia. Its name is a hint.

3rd

Spoiler

It's very hard to find. Directions...

Spoiler

There's an area north of the Church of the Plague, east of Sellia with a hidden wall in the cliff guarded by a solitary BK wizard. The seal is in the depths of that dungeon

43 minutes ago, Rog said:

Are you thankful though? Really? The most totally unfair encounter I've come across so far down there.

The

Spoiler

Astel Naturalborn of the Void boss?

Down in two tries. Hit it with a full blast of Rotten Breath when it flies alongside you, avoid all of its other attacks. The Rotten Breath keeps ticking away even when it teleports so you don't even need to melee it. Once you've learned its attack patterns you can consistently catch it with the Rotten Breath. Rinse/repeat.

Ha, as standard with the game, I killed it 5 mins after posting. I'd been getting frustrated with it teleporting behind me, grabbing me well before I could turn the camera and instantly killing me.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Do you not have the mimic ash summon? He's a good distraction, I killed him 2nd attempt, first attempt I fell down the hole next to the entry door which I did not know was there.

I have that at +10 but I don't have time to summon it before I get rushed.

32 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Onward to get the Black Knife Tiche spirit summon then, now that is a hard fight, unless you do the Shaded Castle boss first!

Is that because you have to get good to kill the shaded castle boss or do you get something mechanically helpful? Tiche has just brutally murdered me a few times. I was doing ok actually but keep getting caught by the massive blade spiral death attack thing that seems to have a surprisingly big aoe.

6 minutes ago, Alask said:

Is that because you have to get good to kill the shaded castle boss or do you get something mechanically helpful? Tiche has just brutally murdered me a few times. I was doing ok actually but keep getting caught by the massive blade spiral death attack thing that seems to have a surprisingly big aoe.

You get something that trivialises the fight.

Spoiler

Briar Armour set available from the Round Table after killing the Shaded Castle boss. You can just roll into Tiche/Alecto and it ruins them. They're massively vulnerable to that set.

I struggled with the Tiche/Alecto fight before doing that. Enjoy.

27 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I have that at +10 but I don't have time to summon it before I get rushed.

That's odd, have it on your bar ready to go and as soon as you enter press square or whatever button it is on your platform. Sometime you do get rushed but you should have time to evade. Make sure you set it up correctly as well, so be holding what weapon/s you want it to use, stick some raw meat dumpling on your equipment bar as it will use those to heal, and if you have the recipe and materials for the Uplifting Aromatic perfume put some of that on your bar as it will also use that. You definitely have time to summon it give it a go.

Thanks for the NPC replies. The Warmaster Shack was empty but I know why now thanks to Ste. I never would have found the third one without the hint, cheers!

For @Ste Pickford

Spoiler

Ah so its the knight with the cool helmet with the wings and stuff on? I met him in Volcano Manor but I found the shack after, so that must be why. Annoying that I missed out on the Ashes!

As for the lady. Search Eastern Limgrave for some ruins and find a basement, she's down there and seems to have 2 questlines for me so far, though not sure what triggers them, you might need to buy stuff from her or just get progression. I only got her quests after a while of revisiting her.